Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jj4401

Advice for paint colors!

jj4401
2 years ago

Doing some updates to our home and need help deciding on a paint color for this area. The living room and dining room are open to each other, we have natural woodwork and hardwood. I have cherry dining room furniture a gift from my mother which I wouldn’t have chosen but can’t part with! And I can’t bring myself to paint the woodwork! The room faces west and is full of sunlight on a sunny day, however this photo is on a cloudy day. Living room furniture is staying also. The rest of the house is agreeable gray. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Comments (11)

• jj4401
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I just painted the dining room this sage color however I’m unsure of it sometimes it looks a little minty. I will be painting the living room and entrance for sure, wasn’t sure if I should repaint the dining room also?

• jj4401
    Original Author
    2 years ago

If the woodwork were white I think anything would go with it however it isn’t and it is throughout the house and is actually beautiful but I feel it limits color options!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

I agree that DR wall colr is a perfect color with the wood . If you want a color similar but no minty look this is the one I use and you could even do the ceilings the same but just cut 50% IMO so neutral but still a color.

jj4401 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • mdefree
    2 years ago

To bring your house forward and modernize, you need to bring in some whites. You have a lot of brown color. I can give you some paint suggestions. I would paint all your trim and fireplace mantle sw pure white. I don’t even think you would have to paint the walls. It would be an amazing transformation. Pure white works beautifully with agreeable gray.

jj4401 thanked mdefree
  • jj4401
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Patricia! I really like this color better than the one I have! Should have gotten a sample first but the paint store couldn’t do samples…lack of base to make it. 🤷‍♀️ So would you paint the living room and entry this color also? Would it look ok with the couch color? I’m sorry I have no sense of design!!!

• mdefree
    2 years ago

Look at the difference what sw pure white did to these moldings.

jj4401 thanked mdefree
  • jj4401
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I agree the white molding looks beautiful it’s just that we have a lot of molding and all the doors are natural also. I did paint the molding in the bathroom white but it seems to scuff up easily maybe because I didn’t do it correctly!?!

• Nathalie Inamdar
    2 years ago

i would paint the dining room even darker. Maybe dark green or turquoise and the living room in the slightly lighter shade of the same colour

jj4401 thanked Nathalie Inamdar
  • roarah
    2 years ago

I love your dining room! I agree that a color similar to grey wisp will look great!

jj4401 thanked roarah
  • Jennifer Hogan
    2 years ago

I love Gray Wisp and think it would be beautiful in your dining room or living room. I would probably choose a darker shade for the opposite room.

jj4401 thanked Jennifer Hogan