Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jross726

Two Dishwashers

jross726
10 years ago
We are designing a kitchen and are thinking of putting in two dishwashers. It seems that in most kitchens where this is done, one dishwasher is placed on each side of the sink. However, I'd rather have one dishwasher on one side of the sink and the trash on the other. What do you think about putting the second dishwasher in the island opposite the range/oven? Thanks in advance for your advice!

Comments (27)

• PRO
    Granite Grannies
    10 years ago
    Oh having two dishwashers is my dream! Perfect for entertaining. We work on a lot of kitchens where the homeowners put their dishwasher in the island. I think it's a great idea. Congratulations on your new kitchen!
  • jross726
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @Granite Grannies, have you ever put the dishwasher in the island across from the range/oven? We really want to keep the sides of the island open for seating.
  • PRO
    Aggie dba Aggie Designs
    10 years ago
    Put one dishwasher to the left of sink, then to the right, put a trash cabinet, and then next to it on the right - the second dishwasher.
  • jross726
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @Aggie, aesthetically, would it not look great to have so much stainless on that side of the kitchen? That's the reason I was thinking of putting it in the island in that location.
  • PRO
    Aggie dba Aggie Designs
    10 years ago
    It wouldn't bother me, but I suppose you could do paneled dishwashers if that is an issue.
  • PRO
    Aggie dba Aggie Designs
    10 years ago
    Another trash bin for a prep area on the island is probably what you need more, and maybe a back up sink ;)
  • PRO
    Aggie dba Aggie Designs
    10 years ago
    And the Double Ovens, I would put them at the end of the run of the cabinets, to the left from the range top. Is the range top big enough for your family? Put either a pantry or a base and upper cabinet next to the Fridge instead.
  • Jenny Youngblood
    10 years ago
    I think you need to work on the overall flow of the kitchen. Though not necessary, the working triangle theory exists for a reason, and with your current island placement you are eradicating flow to the fridge, double ovens- and are having to walk around something to get to those, at least from the angle provided. I would want my trash cans next to the sink, so I think you should do one DW next to your main sink, and then place a prep sink in the island with your other DW next to that. I also think it works better to have a countertop next to your ovens to have somewhere close to immediately set hot things down. If someone is sitting at the island they you have to once again walk around something to place a potentially steaming hot dish down. A suggestion I think would help would be to turn your island 90 degrees to open up more space in back, and then move your double ovens to the back wall to the left of your range.
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    I don't think it would be too much stainless on that side. The only concern I have with having the dishwasher across from the sink is if you rinse your dishes, you will drip water on your floor. However, not everyone rinse before loading the dishwasher.

I agree with Aggie, a trash bin on the island would be practical and a bar sink would be a nice to have.
  • bevballew
    10 years ago
    Why do you want the trash compactor so close. I have two dishwashers next to each other on one side of the sink and the trash compactor other side of the sink. I don't see the need of trash compactor that close to the sink.
  • PRO
    Capitol Group Kitchen and Bath Center
    10 years ago
    Locating a dishwasher next to or near the sink is really a myth. Put the second dishwasher where you think it would be best used.
  • sixkeys
    10 years ago
    Not to hijack, just to share that we are in the same dilemma. We would love to have two dishwashers, but don't really have a great space on the other side of the sink. Our cabinet designer suggested that the second dishwasher go into the island, directly across from the other dishwasher. That way, when when we load from the sink it is close. I don't know if appliances across from each other would be super big deal....makes sense but I can't imagine that we would need access to both dishwashers at the same time on a regular basis.
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    Justine7700, we may be able to help you on your dilemma. Can you give us the link to your discussion so we can separate the two discussions. This way it will be less confusing for everyone. :)
  • sixkeys
    10 years ago
    Oh sorry, no need to comment on mine in this thread! Just wanted to say that the original poster wasn't the only one considering a dishwasher in the island.
  • theodorad
    10 years ago
    We actually have our first dishwasher on right if sink with pullout trash left, and the second one is in The same place you are considering, at end of rectangular island, across from Viking range. Works out fine, especially for lots of guests. But we do have a small prep sink installed above to the right at the end of the island too. So, no worries, good luck!
  • User
    10 years ago
    As others are saying, the only real thing you are missing with this arrangement is a prep sink on the island so you do not need to go around the island constantly to get from the refrigerator to prep. Consider a long narrow trough sink next to the dishwasher. This can be used to put ice and beverages in while entertaining and not look so much like a sink.
    Riverfront · More Info

Homes of Distinction - Gig Harbor house · More Info

NW Contemporary Kitchen · More Info

Poway Gourmet Kitchen · More Info
  • User
    10 years ago
    One more.
    Arcadia Kitchen Remodel · More Info
  • User
    10 years ago
    What is that supposed to imply? That you are normally against an accurate statement :)
  • User
    10 years ago
    Ha-ha, and it only uses words like "should" instead of "shall".
  • User
    10 years ago
    I've seen a few inspectors try to enforce "guidelines", but it usually gets them a sharp reprimand in the end because they are only empowered to enforce "codes" with the word "shall" in them :)
  • theodorad
    10 years ago
    JRoss 726- I will post a photo or two of my kitchen next week, as I am traveling now. Fred and River Valley, you guys are fighting over nothing. JRoss726 did not give the dimensions between the island's end and the opposing cabinets/range. Perhaps there is plenty of room for the doors to clear. I have that room. If it were tight, I would definitely be irritated. I can't think of a scenario wherein I would need both my Viking range oven doors open at the same time as that second dishwasher. It is also the "second" one, so it is used for parties, guests, etc., not all of the time. If I had 6 kids, then it would be, but same thing. The oven door is never opened at the same time as dishwasher, and I have plenty of space between island and oven to open the door fully, room for me without being backed up against the island behind me. I guess the pix will help!
  • User
    10 years ago
    We aren't fighting. Just giving each other a hard time.
  • theodorad
    10 years ago
    :)
  • lake1114
    10 years ago
    Fred S and River Valley can come visit me when my kitchen is done. My second dishwasher is next to my prep sink which will also serve as my bar sink when we have company. That way they can have a drink while they debate these important issues and we can all have some fun and the drink glasses can go right in the dishwasher when the party is over! LOL
  • nogoo
    10 years ago
    Our two dishwashers are across fro each other, one in island and one along wall. Works fine. I LOVE having two dishwashers. Very handy and dishwashers are cheaper than cabinets! ;)
  • Karen
    2 years ago

Our two dishwashers are across from each other too, but offset so that they only overlap about 1 foot. If I have both doors down to unload both at the same time, I can still walk by them by stepping over the overlapping area. Works great for me, as I can still unload dishes into their proper places.