Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_398419429

Dark Brown House-Trim Color Help Needed

Painter Help Needed
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi Everyone-I have decided that our house exterior needs to be brightened up. A picture of the house is in the comments. I want to use a lighter color on the window trim, but can't decide. I went to 3 paint stores today, only accomplished was getting really stressed.House color-SW Shagbark HickoryCurrent trim-BM Whitall BrownWe have replaced the trim on the first level with PVC, it is primed.
Thanks for suggestions!

Comments (9)

• Painter Help Needed
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Picture of house

• cat_ky
    2 years ago

The white primer is way too stark, so that rules out white. Your covered deck area, has a lighter cocoa color on the bottom. I would try to match that for the trim, so that it all blends together. If you feel like you really need more color, a window box or two with lots of colorful plants would work for that. It appears, you do a lot of gardening.

• Painter Help Needed
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes, I do love to garden! What do you think about windham cream or Weston flax, both BM? A little bit of color, but not overwhelming. Our front door is Hawthorne yellow, looks great.

• Painter Help Needed
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The screen porch is actually the same color as the house, just needs to be painted. We are working on it!

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    2 years ago

The current white is too stark, but I think that a creamy- or off -white that works well with the siding would be a great choice. .

From the way the house appears on my monitor I would have guessed that Hawthorne Yellow would have been too yellow. ( Shagbark Hickory appears to have a lot of gray, so I would be looking for a darker cream/off white that also has gray undertones) Since it looks great though, perhaps a shade a bit paler than Windham Cream would be good. Weston Flax seems closer to what I have in mind.

I would go back to the SW store, and start by finding Shagbark Hickory amongst the color chips. Those chips should be arranged with colors with similar values (such as undertone) which is a good way to narrow the choices down. Be sure to take several that look like they have potential, and view them outdoors with the Shagbark chip. On my monitor, Accessible Beige seems like it could be close - the right amount of lightness, if the undertones aren't perfect.

Ben Moore might have a very similar color to Shagbark, so you can do the same there.

ETA: SW offers virtual color consultations, that might be a help!

• Painter Help Needed
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you both for your comments. Super appreciated!

2 years ago

Came back to add that a pale blue or green might also look nice with the brown, would have to coordinate the shade with the door as well as the siding. .

• Painter Help Needed
    Original Author
    2 years ago

That is an interesting idea! I made an appointment for a SW virtual computer consult. Thanks again for your comments!

2 years ago

Oh, let us know what they suggest! WIth pictures if they do mock ups!