Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dianne_beswitherick

Living Room furniture

DI B
2 years ago

Looking for ideas on what type of furniture we should put in this living room. It has two doorways.

Comments (14)

• JustDoIt
    2 years ago

No suggestions but just wanted to say beautiful woodwork and character.

• modpod
    2 years ago

Beautiful details! Had a home once that is was similar.
    Will there be a tv or is this just a conversational room.
    you could put a small sectional against the glass wall facing the fireplace.
    4 smaller scaled chairs facing each other around a round coffee table.
    or a sofa with two chairs facing the sofa possibly.
    Hard to say without measurements.
    Whatever you choose make sure you have enough space for traffic flow because of the doorways.
    Enjoy your new home!

• DI B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here are the room dimensions.

• ericalynn523
    2 years ago

Agree with above...what will the room be used for? What do you want to be the focal point? Also I too love your room!

• dbeswitherick
    2 years ago

It is just a sitting room. No TV. Focal point will be the fireplace wall.
    Thanks for the nice comments. We have lived here for over 15 years and just had the floors refinished. So now it is time to finally put some furniture in there that suits.
    Designer is suggesting a sectional with a chaise on the fireplace side. I’m nervous about a sectional and especially a chaise. Do people find them both awkward for seating?

• freedomplace1
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I think a sofa with chaise is pretty limited, because it basically just sits 3 people and only one person can stretch out on the chaise; plus, the chaise can be an awkward impediment in general - and depending on the space, it can even be a nuisance. If you are doing a sectional, I think an L shaped sectional could provide a bit more seating, and makes more sense. But really, I think the style of your room seems like it would lend itself better to a sofa and two chairs or possibly a 4 chair with center coffee table or ottoman arrangement; this all depends on how you would like to use the room, of course.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    2 years ago

Check Rebecca Robeson new living room decor

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

An arrangement like this should work for the room. I've attached some rugs that would brighten the room and set a color scheme.

• DI B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you. In your drawing I assume that is a couch, coffee table and two accent chairs? What are the round and star shaped pieces?

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

Gorgeous space!!!

I like a sectional also, but it is less formal. So I’d probably go with a sofa on the window wall. And 2 chairs facing the FP.

——

The stars is probably a plant.

The circle in the corner is probably a lamp. And a coffee table. Both will enhance the space!!

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

In that room I'd do a 3-seat sofa and two comfy upholstered armchairs. Do you prefer antiques or more current styles? I see two sconces and the ceiling fixture, which doesn't look like it will add much light. You'll need tables and lamps I imagine.

• DI B
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I don’t want antiques but probably not contemporary either. Yes, there are sconces and a ceiling light. The sconces have shades, just didn’t have them on for the pics. The room is quite dark so I plan to have some lamps. Thinking of a console table on the 5’ wall and possibly a floor lamp in another corner.

• kandrewspa
    2 years ago

I don't know what your budget is, but Stickley furniture would be awesome in your space. I'm so glad you didn't paint the woodwork. I also like the idea of a sofa and two armchairs. That's what I have in my living room. If we need more seating because of guests we bring in chairs from the dining room.

• Maureen
    2 years ago

A couch and two chairs are more flexible. I’d use an on line room planner and try different configurations. You could for instance have a couch facing fireplace and put a console table behind. You can’t go wrong with some velvet and mix it up to create a traditional, well lived in feel, yet feeling contemporary.