Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mike_boehm

Kitchen Layout Ideas Needed - Counter and Island

Mike Boehm
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
So we are starting a remodel project at our house. We pretty much know how the walls are going to be but haven't decided on what we're going to do with the kitchen counter/cabinets and an island.

See the attached Pic for the current cabinet layout. Fridge top. Stove near fridge. Sink center left under the window. Dishwasher to the left of the sink.

Note: In the pic, the thin black lines are not walls. They are just showing the general room sections. The walls are the thicker sections with the angled lines in them. Exterior walls and the rectangular area in the middle between all the rooms. The area between the kitchen and dining room heads down the hallway to the bedrooms.

We're considering how to do 2 different things.

1) Cabinets/Counter - Currently the cabinets are on the top and left side of the room. We will now have a huge empty portion between the kitchen and family room area (used to be a wall/half wall there) and we are deciding how to extend that direction. We thought of adding another cabinet or two along the wall up to the window and then turning out into the room with more lower cabinets, a countertop, and possibly an overhang so it could be a seating area.

2) Island - We need something in the middle of the room that can have some cabinets/storage underneath and be a decent size work around. Possibly with a countertop overhang to make it a seating area as well. Could be a rectangle, could be triangular, we're open to various shapes and designs.

We would like to find a way of incorporating either a double oven (stacked) or two separate ovens. A stacked set could go somewhere in the main layout. Two separate ones could have one where it is now (near the fridge) and another in the island (which would make the island permanent and non-movable). Not sure on where to locate those things.

We also need a pantry in here somewhere as well as that's being removed along with some other walls.

Something could possibly go at the end of the section with the fireplace/TV to extend that a bit. Neither of us are designers so we just looking for any ideas anyone has.

Thanks!!

Comments (16)

• Amie Horvath
    10 years ago
    For an island - I would do an island that is parellel to your couch then angles towards the top of the pic to on the right side. Depend how many bar stoops you want to fit - or chairs. I've seen some really cool kitchen areas that are table height or split height. A breakfast bar would be an option on it also - but I like the flat i level counter height the best. I think that share would be best for traffic flow and would be long for entertaining. What is near the fridge? an angled wall? could build that in for a broom closet,small pantry.
  • Nick Pieper
    10 years ago
    Would it be possible to tear down the wall between the living room and the kitchen and put a counter that extends from the left wall towards the fireplace? You could then use that as an island. Then put some floor to ceiling cabinets containing pantry space and that double oven built in on the right wall of the kitchen?
  • Mike Boehm
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    There are no walls in this layout except the exterior walls and the rectangle in the middle. The walls are denoted by the thick sections with the angled lines. The skinny black lines are just to visually see where the rooms start/stop based on the layout before we took out the other walls.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Is the angled wall in the top right corner of the kitchen a door or a window and can it be squared off?
  • User
    10 years ago
    So, it is a hallway?
  • Mike Boehm
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    It's a hallway. Is there a way I can add another image to the original post? Not seeing that option when I edit. hmm. I guess I'll add it here.
  • Nick Pieper
    10 years ago
    So then no need to tear down walls, you could just add in the peninsula island I mentioned and add in a wall for the pantry if you so chose!
  • lefty47
    10 years ago
    HI -- Mike -- Is the fireplace already set in that angled position ? And how many ovens are you wanting total ?
  • Mike Boehm
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    This layout is what it will look like after we tear out the walls and put up the new ones. We're already planning on that. The fireplace is currently on the angled wall facing the dining room and we'd change the existing walls to duplicate that angle in the family room to most likely have a dual sided / see thru fireplace. We just need 2 ovens. Either a stacked piece that's all one set or two ovens in different parts of the kitchen (e.g one in the current place and one in the island).

We need an island in the middle of the kitchen for food prep and such. We may also then do the peninsula heading from the wall towards the fireplace if we can make that work too.
  • PRO
    Capitol Group Kitchen and Bath Center
    10 years ago
    Mike,
    With the family room being where it is and your desire to incorporate a double oven and the storage gain of a pantry I would suggest:
    1. Two level island with cook top facing the family room. This let's the cook be part of the conversation when entertaining. Everyone will want to sit at the bar.
    2. The wall that the refrigerator is on looks long enough to put an oven cabinet left and a pantry right of the refrigerator. You get a built-in look for your refrigerator. I would suggest a counter depth in this application.

Have fun with this remodel!
  • lefty47
    10 years ago
    HI -- I would locate the fridge on the end closest to the family room in a full gabled cabinet with a counter depth French door fridge , then have a pantry cabinet where the fridge was with a wall oven/micro wave tower cabinet beside. Move the stove or cook top with oven under on the left wall , where I assume the sink is now . Then have a big island in front allowing 42 inches space between that and the other counter . In the island have the sink and dishwasher so you face the dining room with over hangs on the family room side and the dining room side if space allows . So your stool seating is in an L . Let the fireplace be the only angled feature in the room . No peninsulas , just an island .
  • lefty47
    10 years ago
    HI - Just another thought Mike --- Would it be too crazy to suggest putting the kitchen in the dining room and having the dining in the kitchen area . It would make for a better bigger kitchen plan and actually works better for the floor plan with the fireplace being at an angle . Just another way of looking at it !
  • Mike Boehm
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We actually thought about switching the rooms around but it'd be a lot more work. We'd rather have the fireplaces in the family room and dining room since the kitchen creates enough heat on its own.
  • PRO
    OnePlan
    10 years ago
    hi again !! glad for you that's it's all back on !!!
  • User
    9 years ago
    You need to downsize your want list. And get an actual KD involved. Tearing down walls is all good until it doesn't leave you any walls for things that need walls. Like wall ovens, refrigerators and pantries. You're shooting yourself in the foot here.