Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Eucalyptus outdoor furniture

Lars
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We bought a eucalyptus outdoor bistro table for our patio, partly because I could not find a table the right size in teak or acacia, but I have always been leery of eucalyptus furniture, ever since one of our trips to Catalina, during which we took a bus tour of the island, and the tour guide told us a story about the eucalyptus trees in California, many of which are on Catalina. He said that some Australian swindlers convinced some investors in California to buy eucalyptus trees or seedlings from them, and the swindlers told the buyers that the trees would grow quickly and could then be used in construction and for building furniture. The guide then told us that after the buyers bought and grew the trees, they discovered that the wood was worthless for construction (due to splitting), and so they exclaimed to the Australians: "You clipped us!" Hence the name "eucalyptus" for the trees.

I don't believe that this is how the tree got its name, but it did make me cautious when considering eucalyptus as a wood.

Here's the table we bought:

Shown with two barstools that came with the house that we painted and reupholstered.

The seats on these barstools swivel, but the footrest is not ergonomic, and the seat is very small.

The table is placed opposite the spa, and so we have a nice view of the pool and spa from this table.

We have teak barstools in L.A. that we really are not using, and so we will bring those back to use with this table the next time we return. We can store these gray barstools beside the house.

The table came with care instructions, which said that we should oil the table with linseed oil. I did not have any linseed oil when I assembled the table, and so I waxed the top instead. The wax made some white streaks that I had to buff out, and I will not put any more wax on this table and will get some linseed oil to finish it instead, when we bring the teak barstools back.

The care instructions also said to protect the table from harsh weather conditions, or else the wood will crack, and our harsh weather occurs in the summer, when it can get extremely hot.

Do you think that linseed oil will help protect the wood from cracking in the summer? I will store the table in the house during the weeks that we are not here, as it is easy to move and easily fits through the patio doors.

Do you have any experience with eucalyptus furniture, especially in extreme heat?

Here's some info comparing eucalyptus with teak.

Comments (19)

• sushipup1
    2 years ago

No experience with the furniture, but when we lived in California, we had a bunch of trees on our large rural property. On a hot day, the air was scented with eucalyptus and oh so lovely. I miss that.

Lars thanked sushipup1
  • Lars
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I do miss the eucalyptus trees along the Marina bike path, where I used to ride my bike almost every day when I lived in Venice. I would also collect eucalyptus "berries" to use when I had a cold. I would crush the berries, put them in a large bowl, and pour boiling water over them. Then I would put my face over the bowl with a towel over my head and inhale the eucalyptus infused steam. It was also a good facial.

• party_music50
    2 years ago

Lars, I bought a larger version of that table several years ago to use in the yard. I immediately treated it with linseed oil as directed. It was a rainy summer, and within about a month, the top edges of the table started to lift. I submitted a complaint with photos and was sent a replacement, but I have kept that replacement table out of the rain, just in case. I think you need to worry about water damage more than sun/heat damage.

Lars thanked party_music50
  • Jilly
    2 years ago

I like your set and always like seeing your back yards (both houses).

I had a small side table like that, and it didn’t hold up well to the Texas sun … but then, not much does! I did oil it and still enjoyed it for years, though. I don’t think it ever cracked, just faded badly. This was several houses ago, I can’t remember what I did with it.

Lars thanked Jilly
  • Lars
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks - I will look for the Australian Timber Oil. In the meantime, I will not keep the table outdoors except when we are here, and we are leaving for Los Angeles on Saturday.

We do not get enough rain here for that to be an issue - only about 5 inches per year, and I have the table in a covered area in the patio, protected from both sun and rain. The patio is on the north side of the house, and so I think that will help.

I'm not concerned about the table fading - I mainly want to make sure that it will not crack or split.

I have not heard of sapele being used tor outdoor furniture - at work we used sapele as a veneer for indoor high end furniture.

• DLM2000-GW
    2 years ago

I figured moisture would not be a problem for you and north side positioning probably takes care of all but reflective and ambient UV. Dry air might be your real issue and I thing the Timber oil will help with that. It's our front door that is sapele, solid panels. Veneer would be destroyed in our climate.

Lars thanked DLM2000-GW
  • moosemac
    2 years ago

Lars,

I love your table. It is perfect and should last.

I have 3 eucalyptus wood folding side tables that I bought 15 years ago at Christmas Tree Shops. They have been on my uncovered deck in New England all that time and have not rotted. I gave them a coat of linseed oil when purchased. When they start looking dingy I pressure wash, let dry and sand if needed then recoat with linseed oil. I paid $10 for each table and wished I had bought more.

Lars thanked moosemac
  • Lars
    Original Author
    2 years ago

My front door in L.A. is also sapele mahogany, and we finished it with a marine grade wax. The door is protected from sunlight and rain by the roof of the porch/portico, and so it has fared very well. We do add more wax to the exterior every couple of years but have not touched the inside of the door.

We stained it before we waxed it, and I mixed two stain colors to get the shade of red that I wanted.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

That door is gorgeous! I don’t think I’ve seen it before. And love the blue there, you’re so good with colors.

Lars thanked Jilly
  • jmm1837
    2 years ago

Since I live in Australia, I know a bit about eucalyptus trees. Some of them are soft and wouldn't be suitable for furniture or anything else, but various species are used extensively for flooring, and, increasingly for furniture and construction.  With proper care, that table should last for years.

Lars thanked jmm1837
  • Lars
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It looks like I might have to order the Australian timber oil, as the stores appear not to have it in inventory - at least not in natural, and I do not want to add more stain to this table.

I noticed that linseed oil is one of the ingredients in Australian timber oil also.

• Lars
    Original Author
    2 years ago

DLM2000-GW, do you think 1 quart of Cabot Australian timber oil would be enough? I can order a quart from Amazon, but the local stores only have it in gallon containers, and I do not think I would use that much. It is expensive from Amazon at $34 a quart, while the gallon containers at Lowe's are $53.

• DLM2000-GW
    2 years ago

Wow - that's a CA premium cost - it's $45/gal here. Yes I'm sure a quart will be more than enough for you. Just FYI, it will darken the wood even though you buy the transparent with no stain. That's what I used, too. You can get an idea of how the color will change by just wiping down a section of the table top with water. The water will dry and lighten, the oil will not.

Lars thanked DLM2000-GW
  • maddielee
    2 years ago

Why wouldn’t good old tung oil work? That’s what we use on teak (boats and furniture).

Lars thanked maddielee
  • Lars
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Tung oil might work on teak, but that's not what I'm using it on. Eucalyptus requires a different kind of finish than teak, as it is not as durable. Teak will be okay with no finish, but Eucalyptus will not.

The mfg recommended linseed oil, and the Australian timber oil has that as one of its ingredients, and so I think it will be the best.

I tried putting some wax on the top of the table, and that was a mistake, as it left white streaks, which were difficult to remove.

I used tung oil once on some oak, and it left a sticky finish, and so I was not very happy with it.

The table already has some sort of finish on it, and so I want to make sure that what I put on top of the existing finish is compatible. I think wax for one is not.

• DLM2000-GW
    2 years ago

Lars I didn't realize there was already some type of finish on the table. You would be smart to wipe the entire table down with mineral spirits or naptha before going any further. It should clean up anything that will prevent the Australian oil from penetrating.

Lars thanked DLM2000-GW
  • jmm1837
    2 years ago

Lars - I think you may be making this more complicated than necessary. From what I've read, you can use teak oil, tung oil, linseed oil or Danish oil on eucalyptus furniture.  You just need to oil it once a year and it should last for 20 years.   You'll need to make sure you get that wax off first, though.

• Lars
    Original Author
    2 years ago

DLM2000-GW, thanks for that information. I do already have mineral spirits that I can use.