Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ejackson41

How do I hang swing from slanted porch ceiling?

ejackson41
2 years ago

How would i go about hanging a swing from my slanted ceiling? The swing would go parallel to the joists in the picture. If adding support perpendicular to current joists, how would said support be made ”flush” with the slope?

Comments (13)

• ejackson41
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Swing would go at end of porch parallel to joists. Unless im misunderstanding you.

• kayozzy
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

The only thing that matters is the length of the chain. As long as they connect to the swing at the same level, none of the variations above it matter.

How to Install a Porch Swing | how-tos | DIY (diynetwork.com)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

Different lengths of chain to make it work so the swing is level.

• Seabornman
    2 years ago

If the two lengths of chain are different lengths, there won't be much swinging done.

• kayozzy
    2 years ago

Not true at all. ^

• Seabornman
    2 years ago

Try it.

• Seabornman
    2 years ago

https://youtu.be/Vnf_9lcqnnE here's what will happen.

• kayozzy
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

LOL That is a swing, and he is trying to go high. Not the same issue at all. A porch swing doesn't need to do the same thing. :-) Also, the angle of the swing wouldn't be the same. It's front to back, not side to side.

• Seabornman
    2 years ago

I tried unsuccessfully to find a video of a porch swing with different length chains/ropes to no avail. Why? Because it won't work. You'd end up twisting back and forth just like the video I posted. It's physics. LOL!

• User
    2 years ago

• Seabornman
    2 years ago

Ain't no swinging there....

• Seabornman
    2 years ago

https://youtu.be/d0zPHh8QqFo here you go. A guy fixing a swing that was hung with unequal ropes, because it was "like a roller coaster".