Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_15395324

Should I remove the half walls?

Tanya Lopez
2 years ago

Hello, we have been renovating our home for the last few years, finally focusing on flooring (yay!). We will have a professional remove the tile and install LVP. Do you vote on removing the half walls to open the space?

Comments (12)

• Tanya Lopez
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Sammie,

we will definitely be confirming if they are load bearing. The joists run paralell to the columns so Im crossing my fingers thats a good sign they aren’t!

• Sammie J
    2 years ago

Then yes, I'd remove them. That will allow you to get the tv out from between the windows - placing it either on the back or side wall..(sort of "flipping" your design), using the back of the sofa as a visual separation of the rooms.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

If the pillars are not laod bearing you can remove thos walls In my head they served no purpose when the house was built unless they were needed for load bearing. It would open things up for sure and please no word art when you have a really awesome place to put a nice piece of art quite large too.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    2 years ago

Why? they do not block an open view. You can decorate top.

• millworkman
    2 years ago

I think they actually help delineate the rooms and as Celery states do not block the view. i too would leave them as is.

• Snaggy
    2 years ago

I like them brakes the room up ..Not a fan of open plan !

• kandrewspa
    2 years ago

If you like to have some separation between the dining and living areas instead of having everything open, maybe you would like a cased opening better? While I like some separation, those are not particularly lovely half walls. But it doesn't look like a very large space, so nothing would be OK, too. Since you are getting opinions on both sides maybe just go with whatever you prefer.

• cat_ky
    2 years ago

You already have the kitchen viewed from the dining room, I would not want to view it from the living room, anymore than you can already.. I would leave them for some separation They look nice and can decorate them nicely.

• eld6161
    2 years ago

I agree. I like them too.

• User
    2 years ago

The walls are fine but I don't like the columns. If they're not load bearing, I'd go ahead and remove it all. Yes the walls define the space, but also limits it if you ever wanted to make the living room a little larger.

If you removed the walls, what would you do with the nook off to the right? Maybe ditch the bench, put another armchair there (with no ottoman), and have a buffet behind it (against the wall)?

• bouncy5
    2 years ago

I they are not load bearing, I would remove columns but keep the half walls.