Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gina_c1

Can someone please help me with figuring out where to end backsplash?

Gina C
2 years ago

Hello! I know this question seems to come up alot, but where do you end your backsplash? I am doing 3x12 subway tiles to the ceiling on my main wall (with windows) across the way where my stove is I am following the cabinet line - but this darn wall that opens into my dining room, I cannot figure out what height to do (under cabinet or to ceiling) and where to end it with the peninsula. We are widening the peninsula by 4 inches as well. I included a before photo so you can see where it previously was installed. Any help would be so appreciated! I haven't ordered tile yet due to my indecisiveness!

Backsplash · More Info

Backsplash · More Info

Comments (22)

• PRO
    Erica Bagnasco Architetto
    2 years ago

Hi Gina,

you don't have an actual need for the backspash in this area of the kitchen: in fact, this is a protection that is applied in areas that are easily soiled, like the cooking and water areas. If I were you I would not consider it, I would paint the area with a washable paint and place a 10 cm high splashback of the same material as the worktop, up to the outer limit of the peninsula.

Gina C thanked Erica Bagnasco Architetto
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

The front edge of counter is THE most noticeable spot. End there. I would NOT go to the ceiling, anywhere. Go to bottom of cabinet height. It's a kitchen, not a shower in a bath. .............the water doesn't go that high: )

Gina C thanked JAN MOYER
  • Melissa R
    2 years ago

I'd tile the whole wall. Take it to the end of the curved archway. If that overhangs the countertop (hard to tell in the pic if it lines up with countertop or goes past it) I'd tile down to the floor.

Gina C thanked Melissa R
  • arcy_gw
    2 years ago

Too much tile!! If you go to the ceiling your kitchen will visually shrink and will feel heavy and closed in. Avoid the decision by just saying NO to all that tile!!

Gina C thanked arcy_gw
  • Rachel Lee
    2 years ago

If you must tile, I would go to the ceiling around the window and not tile the wall to the left at all.

Gina C thanked Rachel Lee
  • Gina C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you all for all your help! I'm still as confused as ever! Ha ha! Jan, what do you mean to go to the front edge of the counter? On the peninsula? I'm just not sure where to end the tile on the wall, at the top cabinet end or at the end of the countertops. Or some suggest nothing at all on that wall? Would you just do my quartz countertop material 4" backsplash?

• Jeanne Cardwell
    2 years ago

Where’s your sink? I think we need more pics.

• Gina C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Jeanne, it's on the main window wall. I attached a photo of the window wall and the stovetop, but that darn peninsula area (the back wall) has really thrown me for a loop....

• PRO
    Erica Bagnasco Architetto
    2 years ago

"Would you just do my quartz countertop material 4" backsplash?"

Yes, defintely!

Gina C thanked Erica Bagnasco Architetto
  • decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

That's a lot of wall everywhere! True, the kitchen will look heavy with too much tile. I would take it to the upper cabinets all around and stop it where the countertop ends under the pendants. Looks like you've had a 4 " splash before but those are terribly out of style right now.

Gina C thanked decoenthusiaste
  • chispa
    2 years ago

Can you get rid of that arch? Or raise it up a foot? It really closes up that side of the kitchen.

Gina C thanked chispa
  • Gina C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Chispa, unfortunately I cant get rid of the arch

• Rehabit
    2 years ago

The 4 inch is outdated. I would tile to ceiling on sink wall and no tile on peninsula wall not needed and on stove wall up to cabinets

Gina C thanked Rehabit
  • cat_ky
    2 years ago

I would do the backspash, but, not all the way to the ceiling, and NO, to a 4 inch backsplash. They dont help a bit and are very much out of date. By the peninsula, go to the end of the peninsula and put a ending type strip at the side of it, and at the top of it, so it looks finished with the backsplash, that goes up to the rest of the cabinets.

Gina C thanked cat_ky
  • happyleg
    2 years ago

I love the arch it adds interest in architecture and I wouldn't tile to the ceiling either just stop where you need to stop under and window seal or Hood vent

Gina C thanked happyleg
  • Gina C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you, my confusion is where to tile on the back wall - to stop at the cabinet line or continue the peninsula or go to ceiling or 19". I am good on the other walls

• Julie R.
    2 years ago

I would stop at the cabinets by the peninsula and put some art above the electrical outlets and call it a day.

Gina C thanked Julie R.
  • terirwin
    2 years ago

I had the same issue with my kitchen, where to stop the backsplash. I was very concerned about the blank wall above the counter. Although, my concern is different than yours, these decisions are difficult. Then, without consulting me, the tile installer finished the job. It was a condo remodel in Naples, FL and I live in IL. It was during Covid and I had no way of being there. As it turned out, I’m happy with the way it turned out. I guess the installer is knowledgeable where to stop it. I would agree with the idea of not putting tile to the ceiling. Good luck.

Gina C thanked terirwin
  • Gina C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Your condo is beautiful! I like the way he ended it, especially since your sink it there! I had no idea how confused I would be when I started this remodel....ughhhh!

• terirwin
    2 years ago

Thanks! It was SO difficult to do a total remodel on FaceTime but I’m so happy with it. One thing that I love is what the electrician did without me asking for it. Notice that the tile has no electrical switch plates. He put in plugs below the cabinets. He also put in under cabinet lighting. I love the look.

• valentinekv
    2 years ago

I wish I had your tile guy!