Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cjlarkin1

design advice for living room

cjlarkin1
2 years ago

Wanting to re-tile the fireplace in a more current design and warmer tones. Should I also change fireplace insert? The rug is on order and photo is not the rug in my room. Rug will be 10x13.
Cream color couch on order. Thank you!

Comments (33)

• felizlady
    2 years ago

The fireplace is simple, modern and the current tile looks beautiful. I would first select window treatments and other elements for the room before going to the expense of changing the fireplace insert and chimney breast. Perhaps the addition of a mantel or art will give you the lift you want/need.

• K Laurence
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Why change the insert? My only suggestion would be to paint the firebox in black ( they have high heat paint for that) . Are you asking for advice as to what to change on the fireplace itself? Do you want tile, as you mentioned, or drywall, porcelain, quartz, stone, or etc. ? Your options are many.

• cjlarkin1
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I really am leaning towards previous suggestion to add a mantle. I am also considering replacing the mosaic tile with a vertical tile. The rest of the living area has warm colors and I feel like the blue doesn’t fit with warm. Having said that, the rug has warm colors and is large. Is it ok to have warm and cool?

• motupeg
    2 years ago

I love the combo of blue and caramel (your chairs).

• Rina
    2 years ago

It's so difficult to trust the colours one sees on one's screen, but I'm seeing a dark grey fireplace, a greenish wall, tan chair, and a rug with blue, caramel and cream. And I agree with you, as beautiful as your fireplace is, they do not chime.

I would suggests a cream tile for the fireplace, a subdued blue (that blends with the rug -- look at the soft blue-greys for a match) for the walls, Pick up the charcoal colour on the fireplace insert in an accessory or two -- vast, bowl, art (which is of course more than accessory). Once you've done all that you can decide whether you want to paint the interior of the fireplace. If I find a pic that illustrates the palette, I'll post it.

Edited to change 'tan' to 'caramel' -- 'tan' where I live is a bit different to 'tan' where you live. :-)

• cjlarkin1
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Walls are light grey. Thanks for your well thought out response! Caramel:)

• Sammie J
    2 years ago

Like others have said, I love it with the caramel and your furniture. Get everything in before you decide to make changes - you might end up loving the bit of cool with warm... The one thing I would change would be the top of the hearth - the white is too white - maybe that is where you could add the warmth.

• cjlarkin1
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Good point on the hearth!

• Rina
    2 years ago

Hmm. still can't see that rug working with that grey. Unless I'm seeing the rug colours inaccurately too. Sigh.

Can't find a Houzz room pic that illustrates what I'm thinking of -- but then something is squiffy with me or with Houzz; I'm just not able to navigate the search effectively.

• partim
    2 years ago

You can paint the tile. If you don't like it you can always remove it after painting. Or if you like the colour but not the painted look then you know what colour tile to replace it with. https://www.settingforfour.com/how-to-paint-tile-easy-fireplace-paint-makeover/

The light gray walls aren't doing your lovely floor or furniture any favours. Consider green. Check out the pictures on Sherwin Williams colour of the year, Evergreen fog. Warm tones look great with green. https://www.sherwin-williams.com/color-of-the-year-2022

• cjlarkin1
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I see what you’re saying. Not sure green will work with my dining table. Yikes I’m getting confused.

• cjlarkin1
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Rina I think I will cancel the rug. Not sure what to do about the wall. My kitchen and stairway are contiguous with the living area. It would mean repainting entry, two stairwells, halls, kitchen and living area. If it seems the best thing to do I will but just not sure!

• Mel
    2 years ago

I like the grey/blue/green color you have on your walls. Its a nice refreshing change from all the greige/grey/white walls out there. Good call on canceling the rug. i think a neutral rug would look grear. Also a different gray tile would look good on the fireplace. Something like this maybe? Keep the insert. Check out some neutral rugs and add the red color (i love red & blue) with some pillows and/or art.

keep the insert.

cjlarkin1 thanked Mel
  • ptmatthews
    2 years ago

The tile itself looks very pretty in the closeup shot. i would be tempted to paint the side walls of the fireplace a darker color so the tile isnt such a contrast. and perfectly ok to mix warm and cool colors.

cjlarkin1 thanked ptmatthews
  • HU-986334027
    2 years ago

A lot of people are telling you to leave the tile, but I think you should trust your gut and take it out. Based on your other furniture and the rug you chose, it looks like you lean towarss more traditional/modern traditional styles and you obviously would prefer warm tones and warm neutrals. Yes, you can mix blues in that kind of color scheme, but it works better if they are muted/dusky or navy/”autumn” type blues. Also the fireplace is the automatic focal point, which makes that tile the current focal point. I also prefer more traditional styles and I would want that tile off too. Someone said get rid of the white marble, but that’s the only good-looking part of that surround in my opinion. There’s so many amazing options for a pop-out fireplace that would make that whole room look dofferent and provide a much better framework for your personal style. Don’t match to ugly. If you aren’t liking it, it’s absolutely worth the money right now to get rid of it instead of making everything else you buy work with something you know you don’t love. You could do really great wood millwork around/above the fireplace as well and it would look awesome.

cjlarkin1 thanked HU-986334027
  • HU-986334027
    2 years ago

Also, I should clarify that the tile isnt necessarily ugly. It just is not a classic/timeless look, which seems like you are more inclined to. In the right space I’m sure it works nicely for people with a different style preference. I just don’t think it’s yours. It also seems like the scale of the tile is not optimal for such a large feature. ”Don’t match to ugly” is a phrase I’ve used for a few years to remind myself not to design around things I don’t love.

• HU-986334027
    2 years ago

Aaaand here’s some ideas. Some of these have built-ins on the sides, but you dont even need those. Find a surround you like, then trim it out with some molding on the front and the sides of the pop-out (not even hard, all you need is a miter saw and a brad nailer and/or any basic carpenter could add that kind if molding). I could be reading your style wrong, I’ve seen one chair and one rug, but I wonder if you like the look of these fireplaces…

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Replace the marble looking hearth with soapstone or slate. Paint the white sides dark to match the firebox surround or new hearth. That will help it look like a unit rather than a wall with tile pasted on to make a faux fireplace.

cjlarkin1 thanked decoenthusiaste
  • cjlarkin1
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks so much to everyone for taking the time to provide these photos and suggestions. Adding a few photos of pieces in the kitchen. I am trying to decorate an entire house from a recent move. No artwork to speak of. There are windows on both sides of the fireplace.

• wickedwhite
    2 years ago

I would definitely consider retiling the FP, but before we can advise you, we need to know your style. Can you post a few pictures of living rooms you like? Maybe also post a picture of your kitchen (unless you plan to remodel soon) so we can respect the flow of your house. And also a pic of the sofa you ordered. Thanks!

cjlarkin1 thanked wickedwhite
  • Mel
    2 years ago

Now that i see a pic of your dining table It’s pretty modern looking to me… the tile thats there now may wotk after all and seems to go nicely with it… or something else simple but modern.

cjlarkin1 thanked Mel
  • cjlarkin1
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I can also do a cream color. I currently have it in a grayish blue but don't know if it fits.

• PRO
    Denise Cudd Designs
    2 years ago

I know how daunting it is to do a whole house and make sure everything is cohesive. I would reface the fireplace in a neutral stone so if you ever want to repaint the walls you’re not tied to a particular color scheme. I like the suggestion of painting the firebox black but I would keep the hearth stone. I refaced my fireplace in limestone and it’s very neutral. I can mix in many different colors and nothing clashes. Good luck!

cjlarkin1 thanked Denise Cudd Designs
  • cjlarkin1
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Love it!!

• Mrs Pete
    2 years ago

Wanting to re-tile the fireplace in a more current design and warmer tones.

Yes, I don't care for the fireplace -- it looks modern and cold, whereas you say you want "warmer", and your TV console and chair are not modern in any way. I agree with you about changing that tile. Could you paint the tile in a deep cream? That'd be so much cheaper (and much less labor intensive) than replacing the tile. I'd be tempted to try it first; the investment would be so small compared to changing the tile.

Should I also change fireplace insert?

If the insert is functional, I see no reason to change it in any way.

The rug is on order and photo is not the rug in my room. Rug will be 10x13.
    Love the colors of the rug -- yes to warm. It will look great with the very organic TV console you already have and the leather chair.

You also need some throw pillows and throws to tie into the rug. And draperies to bring in some color. Since you're doing a whole house, you could add these accessories a bit as a time -- but they will have a big impact; they will make the room look "finished".

The TV wall looks stark in your first picture -- the vase and well, not greenery, but in the same vein as greenery in the later picture go a long way towards softening that space. I'd consider painting that wall as an accent. Maybe something in the same orange/coral color as the rug? It would make the TV less ... stark? stand out?

I see what you’re saying. Not sure green will work with my dining table.

You already have the table? I don't see it fitting with the things you're choosing. I think you need to choose between the table and the rug/other plans. They're both nice, but they aren't particularly "friends". If you choose the rug, you could disguise the table with a tablecloth in a warmer color.

• cjlarkin1
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I understand. The table was quite expensive and I hoped the beige chairs and some of the other colors in the table would help. The rug is also expensive so maybe it needs to go.

• wickedwhite
    2 years ago

I love that linen sofa and the arched chest you posted! Very pretty. Have you ordered those? What is it that you already have in a greyish blue? A sofa? Pls post a pic of whatever you are referring to. I also love the leather chairs, console and the rug you selected. I am not a fan of the tile on the fireplace. I would choose something softer and more organic. I would also consider changing the wall colour to something warmer. The current blue grey is a bit cold and deepens the red in your floors. I would look to bring in more texture (as you have with the leather, rattan, linen etc.) rather than colour.

• cjlarkin1
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you! I will post the bluish linen couch in a bit. I just don’t know how to change the paint without having to change it all the way down the hall and all the stairways…just had it painted in May-not cheap. Do you think I could warm it with art? Love the photos you shared.

• cjlarkin1
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Where could I stop painting?

• wickedwhite
    2 years ago

Yes of course it can be warmed up with art and accessories. Really honing in on the look you want will help. No point on retiling the FP until you you know exactly what you are going for.

• wickedwhite
    2 years ago

It’s difficult to see where the rooms end and begin from your photo. If you can draw the layout of the room, hallway and stairwell on paper that would be ideal. I wouldn’t necessarily repaint right away. For now, I would just focus on furnishings for the main living space. If you dislike the FP tile, maybe just remove it for now and paint it same colour as the wall. Down the road you could reface it to match your style. Plaster could be another option.

• cjlarkin1
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for the ideas!!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths