Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brandon_garner91

A slideshow of China and Tea roses

Brandon Garner
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I made a slideshow of some of the China and Tea roses that I have grown. I thought that I would share it. There is a link in the description for commentary on the roses
https://youtu.be/ZcPXpTHghe4
Brandon
https://allforroses.blogspot.com

Comments (10)

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    2 years ago

Thank you for this, Brandon. I love seeing Tea roses and Chinas. Yours are a little paler than mine here.

Brandon Garner thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • Brandon Garner
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR I wonder if them being more paler is due to the Willamette valley is cooler than southern Oregon?

2 years ago

I bet you are right, Brandon.

• RedBird_7a EastTN
    2 years ago

I enjoyed watching this, Brandon. Your appreciation of your rose comes through.

Brandon Garner thanked RedBird_7a EastTN
  • Kes Z 7a E Tn
    2 years ago

Brandon, I'm so glad that you took the time and effort to do this. I like to compare my own roses to those grown in other places and your photos are so helpful. The two in common are Old Blush and Mirabilis. Yours are terrific and look healthy and beautiful.

Old Blush was a mess in its original spot. I wondered why this rose was so popular for so long because it was never healthy. It lost its leaves from blackspot during first flush and stayed that way through the growing year. I moved it to a bed on the protected east side of our house and, except for watering it when I watered the other roses, that was all I did. It doesn't look as good as yours yet, but it is growing and blooming. It's now rarely affected by blackspot and I can't remember the last time it lost leaves. I wonder what your garden provides that mine couldn't; Lower humidity? More fertile soil? Higher Ph? Or...?

Mirabilis is a new rose this year, a baby band this spring. It has been a steady grower and very healthy in a difficult year. I hope it can bloom as well as yours someday because yours is lovely. This rose seems untroubled by the differences in our climates and soil and seems to do well for both places.

• Brandon Garner
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Kes Z 7a E Tn I think that the makor difference for Old Blush, at les in Oregon, lower humid. Not sure why it stayed clean in georgia though. While I do use some chemicals, I don’t spray for blackspot in blackspot heavy areas

• jacqueline9CA
    2 years ago

I understand that Old Blush is a china rose (literally - bred in China by the Chinese prior to 1793). They like HEAT, or at least a moderate climate, so the fact that moving it to a more "protected" location resulted in it doing way better in zone 7a makes sense. It thrives throughout the US South, so it appears to be able to take humidity in its stride.

Jackie

Brandon Garner thanked jacqueline9CA
  • Alana8aSC
    2 years ago

Loved licorice Tea. I ordered it from RVR but didn't recieve the correct

Brandon Garner thanked Alana8aSC
    2 years ago

So sorry, Alana. We have all been there.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County