Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stiley

Polish up this room

stiley
2 years ago

Hi, we're in this rental house for less than a year while we remodel. I am unexpectedly hosting Thanksgiving for 10 this year, and so I'd like to polish up the layout of this room. I have tried some different furniture layouts but feel like this isn't as good as it could be. A big hiccup is the large guinea pig cage (blocked by the folding screen), which is kept upstairs and out-of-the-way in our other house, but this is the only room it can be here in this house. I like having the dining table next to the entry, even though it's beneath a fan, because our entry is tiny and the table serves as the drop zone. And the blank wall opposite the console table is the first thing we see when we walk in the front door. Boring but I'm not sure what to put there. Does anyone have ideas for this space?

Comments (20)

• apple_pie_order
    2 years ago

Move the lamps' painting to the blank wall. Or check your stored items for another painting.

• stiley
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Do you think it’s ok to have a painting floating without a piece of furniture below to anchor it?

• Holly- Kay
    2 years ago

I don’t like to see art without a piece of furniture under it.

• Yvonne Martin
    2 years ago

Does your dining table extend? If not, do you plan to use the round table for four? How will you serve? If buffet, where will it be laid out? Think about circulation.

With that many people it might be nice to have a couple of chairs next to the bookcases for more private conversations.

• suezbell
    2 years ago

Pleasant space. Like the natural light.

The white "bear" rug has places in it that are not flat against the floor -- would put that rug away to both protect the rug (high traffic) and protect the guests that might stumble on it. Wouldn't put it back down unless and until it is in a private bedroom or in front of a fireplace and, more importantly, only with the appropriate backing to hold it flat against the floor to make it safe.

The entry rug might have some similar issues and if you're considering a new runner for your home being remodeled, perhaps invest in it early.

Would also either hide away the small white table near the dining table or at least hide everything atop it; or, perhaps you could use that small white round table for your plant stand, moving it to the space by the window near the privacy screen ... just removing/storing the smaller plant stand(now used for your snake plant) to make room in both inside (interior wall) corners for the guest chairs to be put in the two corners until you need them and then to have more walk space around the table when the room is crowded.

IF you're going to have a second table used as a table near the dining table, and unless your dining table expands to seat ten people, then it might well be better to have one the same height and style as the dining table so the two tables could be combined to create enough space to seat your ten guests. Investing in a second same or similar table might be worthwhile if you entertain often and/or if your home being remodeled has a second room for one ... perhaps as a craft/hobby/game table in the end of a family room.

A somewhat larger landscape/horizontal framed art over the cabinet in the entry could be worth considering.

Not a huge fan of a small picture high on the wall with nothing beneath it; might consider storing that for now or moving it to the bookshelves if the subject/picture has personal meaning to your family.

• Jennifer Hogan
    2 years ago

I would move the painting from between the two lamps - hidden by the lamps. Place a blue-green bowl or décor item between the two lamps. Add more blue green to tie the back wall color into the space.

• stiley
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes, the table has two leaves that aren’t in right now. For Thanksgiving, I’ll probably also use the white table and put it in front of the shelves so we’re not crammed. For daily use, I want that round table near a wall outlet for my computer and printer. The room just feels a little off to me but I can’t put my finger on it. Our living room is beside this space so this room has been more utilitarian than cozy.

• Angel 18432
    2 years ago

Switch the dark piece of furniture in the hall with the acrylic piece of furniture.

Place the round table at the end of the dining table so you will all be sitting together.

It may not match height wise, but you will be together.

Do you have another table you could bring in for the event?

• Ilove MyLife
    2 years ago

Can you move the guinea pig cage to an upstairs bedroom or the garage just for the day? I would not want to eat in a room with an animal cage.

• Angel 18432
    2 years ago

There probably will be animal smells I would think.

• stiley
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ha ha, good point. We’ll get the guinea pigs out of there for the day.

• User
    2 years ago

I LOVE guinea pigs (I call them fluffy potatoes, ha ha!) - but holy cow they're smelly critters.

I think your plan to remove them from the eating area a day or so in advance will be a very wise move. You have a beautiful and clean house - however you may have gone nose blind to just how bad guinea pigs stink, and they kick up a fair amount of dust in the air as well. I adore them - and even I wouldn't want to eat a nice dinner in the same room with them. :)

• stiley
    Original Author
    2 years ago

They actually don’t smell unless the kids don’t clean the cage soon enough. We have fleece bedding vs shavings which I think helps. However, we will remove them for Thanksgiving.

I’m going to play around with some of the furniture arrangements suggested her and will post more pics. I do think a rug under the table would help since there are lots of hard surfaces in here.

• cawaps
    2 years ago

I'm 90% certain that the dark piece of furniture in the entryway is an Ikea Hemnes shoe cabinet, and it alarms me a bit that I know Ikea's furniture well enough to have come up with that. If that's what it is, it's not deep enough or wide enough for the lamps, or to be useful for serving.

• Angel 18432
    2 years ago

Oh it is narrow, not what I thought it was. Pull your rug up to the front door so when guests come in they step on the rug, not on the hardwood flooring.

stiley thanked Angel 18432
  • suezbell
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

You have a pile of items (?back pack?) around the corner from the door -- to the left of the door before you go out. Do you have a cabinet in which those items could be stored and use that as your drop zone rather than the narrow entry cabinet?

Also, IF there is an outlet there, you might try placing your round white computer table between the windows between the privacy screen and the dining area. Perhaps add a wall hung light there rather than using the small lamp with your computer.

https://www.lampsplus.com/sfp/R4625/?cm_mmc=GOO-SH--NA--NA-_-R4625&sourceid=DFGPDR4625&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI19KygNry8wIVSFtyCh3hewLrEAQYByABEgIUt_D_BwE

You might also consider investing in a slightly larger square or rectangle (tinted glass) top for your small white table so what you put on it will not be as crowded ... and that way it could "fit" more naturally some place besides a corner

• stiley
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I wanted to follow up and show some "after" shots. I moved some furniture around and got a rug. And we did move the guinea pigs for Thanksgiving but I left the screen there to fill out that wall. Thank you all for your advice!

• Angel 18432
    2 years ago

Turned out lovely.

• apple_pie_order
    2 years ago

Those are fun place settings, too.