Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lekhouse

Urgent: Should I have my new side splash removed before it is grouted?

lekhouse
2 years ago

Hello,

I was talked into a side splash at the end of my kitchen for practical reasons. There’s no water source nearby but my stand mixer will sit in the corner and we are a family of messy cooks and kids.

I tend to take a “form follows function“ approach but I don't love the look of this side splash. Should I ask to have it ripped out before it is grouted? Learn to live with it for practical reasons? Or does it maybe not look as bad as I think and could be mitigated with some large art?

My designer and husband both like it.

If I want it removed, I need to let the contractor know right away. Thanks in advance.

Comments (31)

• Rachel Lee
    2 years ago

It would bug me too. I would either add a couple of shallow open shelves with the bottom one meeting the top of the tile or, remove it.

• Melissa R
    2 years ago

if the stand mixer is going there I think I would leave the side splash. right now it's all you see but once you get everything in the kitchen, including the mixer, it won't look so "THERE"

• abcdlatham
    2 years ago

My first inclination is to take it out, but I am wondering what that opening is for and how much room there is between the opening and the corner. Could you take a picture straight on? Before you take it out, you need to think about how doing that will affect the look of the end of that wall. As long as that isn’t an issue, I vote for it to go. The color (which I love BTW) makes it stick out too much. Not that likely to get a ”splash” there and paint that is cleanable should take care of that.

• lekhouse
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@abcdlatham The opening that is covered in plywood will be a window. There are only a few (maybe 3ish) inches between the window and the corner. I'm having trouble uploading a photo but will try to add one.

• lekhouse
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Rachel Lee I hadn't considered open shelving. That could make the tile look more intentional, I think. There is a window above the counter that is only a few inches from the corner, so they would have to be very shallow shelves. It could work though. Thanks.

• lekhouse
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Melissa R That is really what I'm hoping but I'm unconvinced.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

No open shelving and remove the side spalsh

• everdebz
    2 years ago

In person - do they and do you see a true blend of tile with floor color?

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 years ago

Remove it. Stand mixers don’t splash that much and paint can be cleaned. My husband makes bread weekly in our small pantry (6’ wide) which has no back OR side splash.

• makmartell
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I’d rip it out. paint is wipe-down-able. (and this looks a bit goofy to me… not awful, but wouldnt be my preference.) Very pretty tile (and kitchen overall) though!

• K R
    2 years ago

Remove it, looks bad. I don’t have a side splash and it’s pretty close to where I cook, it’s also where I keep my coffee maker, and I’ve never had a problem with anything on the walls. Pretty backsplash.

• Jj J
    2 years ago

Love the tile. Might you share brand/color? One day, I will have a blue tile kitchen!

I don’t have an opinion about tile vs paint but it would certainly be an easy place to wipe down and clean in either case.

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

I would actually add more tile. Add tile Along that whole wall and around the doorway.
    I think that will solve both issues and will look beautiful.

Otherwise remove.

• theresa21
    2 years ago

Your tile is gorgeous! I would remove the BS on that wall and I don't think you can hide its awkwardness with accessories. Your gut is telling you that its not working. Paint can be wiped or painted over if needed for ongoing maintenance. If you are worried about the wall getting soiled when you use your mixer, just place a temporary buffer between the wall and mixer, perhaps lean a cutting board or cookie sheet on that wall.

• lekhouse
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@HU-187528210 I agree that tiling the whole wall would be nice. I don't have enough tile for it, unfortuantely, and I'm already over budget. It's a great idea but I think it's off the table for now.

• chicagoans
    2 years ago

(not a pro) I'm in the 'remove it' camp, but mostly came to say that I love the tile you picked. :)

• lekhouse
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Jj J Not at home now but I'll try to look up the tile info for you later.

• Nidnay
    2 years ago

Would definitely remove the side splash….it looks odd. If you have enough left over tile, you can always add it later should you decide it’s necessary for function.

Very pretty tile BTW.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Another vote to remove. It looks awkward and like an afterthought.

It’s going to be a beautiful kitchen, congratulations.

• craljh
    2 years ago

Would you share what the flooring is ? Remove the side splash There are washable paints

• User
    2 years ago

No side splash, but loooove all your kitchen elements together

• H202
    2 years ago

Hmmm agree it looks weird, but as a regular baker, my mixmaster often splashes flour up on the wall beside it. So i'd be torn....

• lekhouse
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@craljh I will look up the flooring info. when I am back at home.

• lekhouse
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@everdebz Yes, the BS tile and floor tile are a close match.

@theresa21 @chicagoans @Nidnay @Jilly @makmartell Thank you all for the lovely complements. I'm excited to see everything start coming together after what feels like a very long wait (7 years to save $, supply chain issues, a Covid delay, electrical work that had to be redone, etc.)

@H202 I am not the tidyest cook/baker but I usually throw a large dishtowl over the mixer before I turn it on, which helps a lot. My kids have occassionally been known to suddenly flick a full mixer on to high speed, but even a tile sidesplash would not do much to contain that mess...

• shugee
    2 years ago

OK, this is out of the box thinking...

I tried to understand why the backsplash looked so awkward on the side and among several reasons, I think it’s because it isn’t anchored with a cabinet above it.

Because you will have your mixer in that corner and since you have only 3 inches past the window to work with, you could add a built-in recessed flush-mount cabinet in the wall with a door that matches your existing cabinets. The inside shelf measurement depth would be about 3.5 to 4 inches. You could build it between the studs, or in sections across a center stud. (You could also reframe the area with a box frame to remove the obstacle stud, but that is more work.) These little shelves could be made adjustable and you could keep spices and other baking needs on the shelves, handy to your mixer. With the door closed, it would look like a cabinet from the front.

You can buy such cabinets, but my Dad and I built one to fit between 2 studs for this exact purpose. If you build the inside box flush to the front wall, the only protrusion would be the trim and the door. This idea could also work as open shelving - you would just omit the door.

Here is a full length version. All you would need is a top cabinet version.

https://www.houzz.com/hznb/photos/100-square-foot-kitchen-remodel-craftsman-kitchen-minneapolis-phvw-vp~5402780

• maire_cate
    2 years ago

As it is now that section of tile seems out of place and I'd remove it.

However Shugee has a great idea if the cost works out for you. I've been looking for such a shallow cabinet for spices but so far haven't found one I like. Most of them resemble medicine cabinets.

If you don't want the extra cost of recessing a cabinet or dealing with the studs you could just install a fake door on that wall that matches your cabinets.

• lekhouse
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@shugee Happy to hear out of the box thinking, however that wall has a pocket door so the space inside the wall is already being put to use.

• lekhouse
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you all for the feedback. I decided to have the sidesplash ripped out.

My designer thinks I'm making a mistake.

She feels that the space between the window and the corner will look awkward becasue it is a very small space and will necessitate slivers of tile. The sidesplash may have helped that area to blend in more. I can see her point and since the window and window trim aren't in yet I don't know quite how bad it will look. The stand mixer will help to mask anything in that corner though.

I'm pretty sure that sidesplash was going to bug me forever so I think removing it was the right call, although I could second guess it forever. I hope to find a large piece of art to bring a little color to that end wall once everything else is completed.

Thanks again for all the input. It helped me to feel secure in following my gut instincts.

• MizLizzie
    2 years ago

You did the right thing. Glad you stood your ground

• lekhouse
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@craljh @Jj J For those who asked, the backsplash tile is Bond Opal and the floor tile is Estudio Ceramico Hamptons Shinecoc Decor

• craljh
    2 years ago

Thanks ^