Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_611251297

how much more is it to do a curved staircase in an entry?

CMA
2 years ago

Wondering how much more a curved staircase usually costs rather than a straight one?! Any thoughts and ideas? Thank you so much!

Comments (17)

• millworkman
    2 years ago

I would venture to guess 10-15 times the cost.

• PRO
    CMA
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Wow! Ok! Well thank you so much!

• PRO
    CMA
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Is that just due to the work or is there any way to do a curved staircase cheaper or no? Thank you so much!

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    2 years ago

It depends on the stairway and materials used, just to give you an example...we did a remodeling job about 12-15 years ago and the staircase wasn't curved, just the cost of the railing was almost 12k + a graspable oak handrail cap was another 3k.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Fell down carpeted stairs once long ago. Still suffer and would never have a two story home as I'm facing those years when I'd have to have an elevator. That might be a better investment if you're approaching retirement and building your forever home where you plan to age in place.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

Those stairs and handrails are built in a shop and installed on site. I'll bet they're 3-4 times as expensive as site built. It seems to me the house would tell you what is appropriate.

• User
    2 years ago

Is this a 1M+ home where the foyer is bigger than the master bedroom? Because that’s where you start to see grand curved 100K+ stairs. They take up a lot of space, and cost a lot of money.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

Factor in ambulance ride expense, medical bills, and potential litigation if a guest fails to negotiate the uneven treads successfully into the cost.

• PRO
    CMA
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Well this is all making me fine with a regular set of stairs then! LOL!

• ladybug A 9a Houston area
    2 years ago

Where are you located? We have a curved staircase and we love it. Our house is on the spacious side so I do agree that if not large enough it doesn't look good. That being said all costs are location dependent. I doubt ours cost as much as being quoted here..

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

https://plytechstairs.com/stair-types/custom-curved-stairs/

I think there are some prefab staircase kits to be had if you look hard enough.

• PRO
    CMA
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Rekha A 9 a can you show me pics!!! Do you know what it cost you?

• PRO
    CMA
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you all!!

• ladybug A 9a Houston area
    2 years ago

Here is ours from the listing pictures when we bought the house. Definitely not as grand as the ones you posted, but curved and to my eyes looks very nice as opposed to a straight stair. I have no idea how much it costs but certainly cannot be in the range of some numbers quoted in this thread based on what we bought the house for, and based on the purchase price of the initial owners.

• Lenox Smith
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Beautiful, Rekha! Depending on factors, it isn't that outrageou$ to build.

• David Cary
    2 years ago

Yeah - those treads aren't even an oak or other hardwood I imagine. So not at all the same as some of the grand designs shown above. Notice the carpet going to the wall. I find it a pretty unusual look. Basically carpeted treads dressed up with a curve.

All curved is not the same. I think when most of us think curved staircase, we are seeing some grand design. Because if you aren't going grand, then just stick to straight. And if you are going grand, you aren't balking at $100k.

I think you are better off spending the money on other things rather than a slightly curved staircase which will still cost you significant extra coin. But that is my opinion and surely regional and personal.