Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_602939138

Centered, or in the visual field?

HU-602939138
2 years ago

We have a new-to-us home, quite large, and generally a Tuscan style. It has a room that I'm calling the den, but it could easily be a British gentleman's pub (you can practically smell the leather and pipe smoke when you walk in the door). I have an inlaid mirror-with-frame, which fits perfectly with my desired décor in this room, and which I think should live above the fireplace and mantle. There was already a hook there, so I just put it up on that hook, temporarily I thought, meaning to center it in the space later.

But SWMBO thinks it should remain right where it is, because if centered (the room is quite tall - about 14 feet, although the area above the mantle is "only" about 10 feet), it will no longer be in the normal field of view, and will either be ignored or be irritating to look at.

So, should I keep it where it is (her choice), or move it to the center of the display area?

~~

Cheers!

Mark Moulding

Comments (20)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Leave it where it is, but not certain it's the best place in the house for it : ) ? A larger piece of art......and some color with all the wood....

Not really a fan of mirrors over mantels, generally the ceiling view is pretty boring.

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

It's fine as is if you can get past that it's too small for the spot. But those speakers? Gotta GO!

• Allison0704
    2 years ago

Use the mirror elsewhere in the room and get a larger piece of art for interest and color. Whatever is used, it needs to be centered over the fireplace and stay close to the fireplace as opposed to centered between mantel and ceiling (which I believe is what you were asking).

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

I think the mirror just adds to what I see is a ton of clutter on the shelves . I agree the mirror is too small and rarely do mirrors work on mantels so find another home for it . If you post more pics of the space you might get some ides too.

• auntthelma
    2 years ago

I disagree with the crowd. I love the mirror in that room. I think it is in the right spot. The top of the mirror is on the same level as the top of the arches.

what I completely agree with is, find a better, more hidden spot for thos speakers. They look like parking barriers.

• elcieg
    2 years ago

IMO: mirror is too small, hung too high and needs some companions.

https://centsationalstyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/art-on-brick-mantel.jpg

Additional the built-ins (?) are overpowering the fireplace and look or of place in the arched niches. Paint them the wall color.

• HU-602939138
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@arcy_gw and @auntthelma: I totally agree about the speakers - they were inherited, and I've disliked them from the start. They do sound superb, and work well with the classic stereo setup (out of frame), but they're ugly as heck. I'll figure out some way to replace them..

@Patricia Colwell Consulting: Yes, the clutter (junk, some of it) is in large part stuff that will either end up somewhere else or just go away.

@judianna20: I feel that the dark wood built-ins are in character with the rest of the room, which is reminiscent of a British pub (lots of wood, including the floor, brown leather chairs, etc.) The overall look I'd like to achieve is sort of a "League of Extraordinary Explorers" room.

@JAN MOYER and @Allison0704: I'm open to something else there. I am holding on to the mirror, because I like it and it has some history, but it doesn't have to be there. Any ideas about what to replace it with? (Animal heads are definitely out!)

Thank you to all - your comments have been very helpful!

~~

Mark

• Allison0704
    2 years ago

How are you going to use the room?

Congrats on your new house, btw.

• partim
    2 years ago

Hang it horizontally.

• cawaps
    2 years ago

I've seen a lot of art hung much too high in an effort to "fill the space." I'm with your wife, it should stay at normal human viewing angle.

• partim
    2 years ago

I wondered about that but the picture wasn't detailed enough to tell.

Great view!

• lynzy1
    2 years ago

keep the mirror as you have it. Looks like Mt. Hood!

HU-602939138 thanked lynzy1
  • Allison0704
    2 years ago

What a gorgeous view! Mount Hood? You will never tire of this view.

So relaxing, reading and conversation. Soft leather sofa (or a chair or two - depends on how you feel about the "coolness" of leather). Proper size rug for warmth - an all over pattern Persian (easier to arrange furniture than a center medallion rug). Bookcases filled with a mix of books and collections.

(Could not find dark bookcases that I liked LOL )

For over the fireplace, thoughts are English pub sign (antique or reproduction)

European travel poster (antique or reproduction) but then I would not do one with landscape with

that view.

Framed antique map.

Or lean Ralph Lauren with fox hunting. Without knowing you, these are just directions so you can consider options and work towards creating a comfortable room. Just don't turn it into a heavily themed room you might get tired of too quickly.

• Allison0704
    2 years ago

If you have dog and a sense of humor. Etsy.

• HU-602939138
    Original Author
    2 years ago

And so it it, @lynzy1! We're in West Linn, if you know the area.

Great ideas, @Allison0704! Here's what's going on in the room now. Some of the clutter has gone away, and I'd already put the rug and chairs there. However, although I think the chairs and ottomans look fairly appropriate, they're not quite as comfortable for lounging as I'd like - I keep slipping down in them. I'm thinking a couple of larger lounge chairs (still brown leather, but very soft).

One thing I haven't gotten to yet is changing out the light bulbs (did I mention the 14-foot ceiling?) - they're currently the coolest white imaginable, and they glaringly emphasize every detail, especially the bad ones.

And yes, we have dogs - a couple of pretty but not-very-bright Great Pyrenees...

Thanks for your suggestions!

• Allison0704
    2 years ago

I always do warm light bulbs. Also have dimmers installed in each room. Best thing you'll ever do! Love the dogs.

• partim
    2 years ago

Google tells me that you can reduce the slipperiness of leather seating by removing some of the waxy layer that the leather is treated with.

• auntthelma
    2 years ago

Beautiful room!

• Candace
    2 years ago

We just got Sonos speakers - can’t believe how awesome sound comes out of such small speakers and they are wireless!