Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laraisaacs

stair landing is in! our homemade floating stairs are coming to life

laraisaacs
2 years ago

Took four of us. Good thing I’ve been lifting my weights!! Glad we went with the white paint. So far, so good.

Comments (27)

• mvcanada
    2 years ago

Looks great so far. Well done!

• laraisaacs
    Original Author
    2 years ago

different angle

• jackowskib
    2 years ago

Yes, looks like a Herculean job! Very nice.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

How is that landing supported ?What kind of railing are you planning.?

• laraisaacs
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The house had original cantilevered stairs, so we used the steel beam that was in place and welded new stairs on site.

• laraisaacs
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Railings will be similar to this

• laraisaacs
    Original Author
    2 years ago

After welding

• laraisaacs
    Original Author
    2 years ago

After auto body repair tech worked his magic

• laraisaacs
    Original Author
    2 years ago

After lifting the very heavy landing piece. Smaller treads to be installed after they get stained.

• 3onthetree
    2 years ago

Nothing like grinding and welding and cooling off with a beer when you're done. But didn't bring enough for his buddy.

• Michael
    2 years ago

@3onthetree top right - looks like a Voodoo Ranger, to go along with the Miller Lite.

• laraisaacs
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hahaha I didn’t even notice the beverages. I was going to say, there’s usually always enough to go around.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

IMO the railing is too busy for those stairs look at glass

• laraisaacs
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Patricia, I thought about glass, but decided against it because it would be hard to keep clean. I also wanted to keep a little bit of a traditional look and not go totally modern.

• Mom In mass
    last year

Beautiful!!! Do you have a final picture? How has the white held up against the dust accumulated in real life? We are doing a floating stair and considering a white stringer, but afraid it will be hard to keep clean. Any advice for us regarding keeping a white metal stringer clean?

• laraisaacs
    Original Author
    last year

Sorry, had a kid jump on me, so my previous comment ended suddenly haha. I think the white is easier to keep clean than black. It helps that the paint is matte. I love the white and am glad we went with it. Good luck on your project!!

• Mom In mass
    last year

Laraisaacs, that is absolutely gorgeous!!!!!

• laraisaacs
    Original Author
    last year

Mom in mass, thank you! We got the treads from Stair Supplies, and they were great to work with. We feel that they made a very nice product. Something to keep in mind if you’re building your stairs piecemeal and not through a company like Viewrail that builds the whole thing. Viewrail was out of our budget. I will say that finding someone to build the railing was a much bigger deal than I anticipated! We got lucky finding a local woodworker who was willing to build it on site. A lot of woodworkers wanted no part in it.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

" A lot of woodworkers wanted no part in it."

That's because they didn't believe they could charge enough. They knew they were out of your budget.

• Mom In mass
    last year

Thank you @laraisaacs. We are using viewrail (they had a 40% off sale on the treads)! It was actually substantially cheaper than using local products and putting it together ourselves.

• Connecticut Yankeeeee
    last year

Wow, laraisaacs! That’s gorgeous. Thank you for sharing all the steps and pix. Well done 👏🏻👏🏻

• valjohn10
    last year

Do you have a before pic? Great job!

• laraisaacs
    Original Author
    last year

Before:

• laraisaacs
    Original Author
    last year

They were drywalled originally

• Mom In mass
    last year

Wow! What a transformation! Thank you for sharing! It’s definitely an inspo staircase!

• HU-259186028
    last year

Can you tell me what your budget was for the stair case? We are having to replace ours.