Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anastasia_munoz

WOOD KITCHEN CABINETS, to paint or not?

Ana Moon
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Just closed on a house yesterday and I am debating painting the wood kitchen cabinets with white paint. Currently have maple cabinets with a cherry stain and was thinking of having them painted with chantilly lace white from Benjamin Moore.

What do we think?

paint
leave it alone

Comments (22)

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    2 years ago

Oh no. No no no. You've go so much potential there, the cabs are beautiful and tie in nicely with the window and door trim. If you'd like to refresh, I suggest a new countertop and backsplash -- will make a world of difference. Consider a counter in the light green or greenish-grey family -- will pair beautifully with your wood cabinets and the floor.

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

Agree with @mxk3 z5b_MI No, no please don’t paint & destroy that beautiful wood. Perhaps change counters & splash to make it your style but do live with existing for a bit. It’s only my personal opinion but in the wood vs painted cabs, good wood is timeless with its beauty & paint is to cover lesser grades of wood. Also only my opinion, we are seeing so much paint for cabs because higher quality wood is too expensive now for many.

• K Laurence
    2 years ago

No! Change other things if you must but please leave the cabinets alone. It’s much higher end looking than all the millions of white cabinets everywhere. And this comes from me who had 20+ years of white cabinets .

• artemis_ma
    2 years ago

I love the wood on those cabinets! I'd keep as they are!!!

• User
    2 years ago

The wood cabinets are the best part of the kitchen. Great quality, and well done.You may want new counters, backsplash, and better lighting. But the cabinets need to need left alone.

• vinmarks
    2 years ago

Don't paint. The cabinets are really nice.

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

Agreed. Leave it.

New countertops backsplash and hardware.

• pricklypearcactus
    2 years ago

Those are beautiful wood cabinets! I agree with @User that they are the best part of the kitchen. I'd rather change out counters and backsplash than ruin those gorgeous cabinets. They also seem to work very well with the trim to make a cohesive space.

• Debbie Downer
    2 years ago

As the saying goes, if it ain't broke don't fix it! Why exactly, of all the things to consider when buying a new house, are you wanting to paint cabinets - a time consuming and/or expensive job to do right. Is it to freshen, brighten the room? If so that can be done in other ways in your choice of furnishings and wall /ceiling colors - some light gray-greens in sync with your back splash would contrast nicely with the wood tones. Some other materials besides wood for your furniture to break up the monotony of so much wood - wrought iron bar stools perhaps?

• whistle_b
    2 years ago

Noooooo, please don't paint that beautiful wood!!!

• cat_ky
    2 years ago

I have to agree. The cabinets are beautiful. Do not paint.

• Fori
    2 years ago

If you want 'em white, paint 'em white.

I assume you'll replace the painted cabinets before trying to sell in the future...

• kculbers
    2 years ago

Too beautiful as is; do not paint them!

• suezbell
    2 years ago

Really like the wood cabinets.

Would at least leave them as is for six months or so to see if you find you like or hate them.

Alternately, if you have already decided you dislike the wood, ask yourself why.

Is it the shade -- light/dark -- vibe that is off ? or is it because there is so much wood?

If you do paint them, would a color other than white be suitable or would a color from the countertop be even better?

Remember that anything painted will, inevitably, need to be repainted and can begin to look awful as they get that way -- and will need to be thoroughly cleaned before painting ... and remember that some finishes can be painted with good results better than others.

IF you find you do want to paint them -- and especially if this is a DIY project -- then you might consider first painting only the island base and if you like that, you could paint the other base cabinets, leaving the overhead cabinets until last ... perhaps not painting them at all since their wood matches the window and door frames.

• Abby Mac
    2 years ago

I actually think those cabinets are gorgeous. While ti's true white never goes out of style, it's starting to feel boring, with everyone going to white cabinets (and this is coming from someone with white cabinets.) Those cabinets look timeless to me as well. I think changing the hardware would freshen them up considerably. The backsplash is the only thing I'd change quickly, and depending on what those counters are, maybe change them too, but the cabinets are beautiful.

• Melissa R
    2 years ago

no paint. new white'ish countertops and backsplash

• Missi (4b IA)
    2 years ago

I like the cabinets. Would move in and live with everything as is for a while. See what works for you and what doesn’t.

• User
    2 years ago

OMG, those cabinets are so beautiful! Please don't wreck them with paint!!

• suezbell
    2 years ago

I probably would not have chosen that wood floor with those wood cabinets. If you truly want changes, at least consider all your options, including the possibility of refinishing the flooring or replacing the kitchen part of the wood flooring with tile.

• micheleliveshere
    2 years ago

Those are gorgeous cabinets, very classic: leave them be. I'd change out the faucet and paint the walls cream/off white then replace the floor rugs with big color. The big ticket item I'd do is change that stove backsplash to something cream/off white or marble.

• Anna Cambra
    2 years ago

I'll go against everyone and say paint them. I've been living with the same cabinet shade and I hate the red undertone. Makes all furniture and decor pull very warm.