Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ycz2021

Kitchen Layout & Windows Idea

YCZ
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi all,

We're working on house remodel/addition. Would appreciate comment / feedback on few areas below. Thanks.

Q1: Kitchen windows

- Which option works better for cabinet layout?

(a). Keep both W1 & W2

(b). Keep W1 only

(c). Remove both W1 & W2

Q2: Kitchen layout

- 15' depth (y-axis) is the max we can get. So 3'6" is the best setback around the island

- Any suggestions for the 36" fridge, 36" rangetop, and 30" wall oven/microwave combo location?

- Plan to have 4 seatings and 1 small sink on the island

Q3: Patio Door

- Only consider sliding door (vs folding) due to budget constraint

- Plan to change the patio door to 12' to get a bigger opening to backyard

- Will a 12' door be too big?

*Updated Pantry's dimension and Powder Room location.

Comments (7)

• Buehl
    2 years ago

Welcome to the Kitchens Forum YCZ!

I like the windows. If you don't need upper cabinet storage space, then the windows flanking the range are fine. Be sure, though, that you have enough storage in your Kitchen. You don't want to end up having to store things all over the house b/c you don't have enough storage in the Kitchen. It looks like you have a separate Pantry (I see a label that says "Pantry", but I cannot tell its size since you didn't post the entire floor layout). If it's big enough, then you can probably forgo the upper cabinets.

I would put the wall oven & MW stack on the other side of the Kitchen -- but only if you address the aisle issues....see below. If you cannot provide sufficient aisle width, then I suggest going with a range instead of wall oven and either a MW drawer or a MW hanging from the upper cabinets on the "bottom" wall.

I've looked at your layout and several things jumped out at me.

(1) The island overall is problematical. Where you show a prep sink is not very useful. I assume you're trying to fix the "barrier island" issue with that sink. However, there isn't enough space on the short end of the island to accommodate prep sink + landing space on one side + prep workspace on the other side. The bare minimum space for prepping is 36". The minimum size of a prep sink is 18". There should be at least 12", with 18" much better, on the non-prep space side of the sink for landing space and to minimize splashing water onto the floor. That means, the side of the island that you plan to use for prepping should be at least 18" + 18" + 36" = 72" (6'). Your island is only 48" (4') deep -- and that's before addressing the aisle issues (see below for more information).

If you plan to prep on the long side, the seats are in the way. You would need to eliminate the two seats on that side. You would then have 6' to work with.

(2) If you plan seating in front of the refrigerator, then reduce the depth of the island so you have at least 48" b/w the island and the refrigerator.

Is the refrigerator going to be a true built-in or a counter-depth? If a counter-depth, then the pic is incorrect as counter-depth refrigerators are 30" to 32" deep plus whatever air clearance is needed behind them. Only the refrigerator box is counter-depth; the doors must stick out past the surrounding counters, cabinets, walls, etc. So, if your refrigerator is counter-depth, then your aisle is even narrower than you show.

(3) Which brings up another issue -- aisles are measured to/from the items that stick out the farthest into the aisle. That could be appliance handles, counter edges, etc. They are not measured to/from the cabinet boxes like you show. The 24" (2') depth only includes the cabinet box, it does not include the doors/drawer fronts or the 1.5" counter overhang in front of the cabinet box.

That means that your aisles are narrower than you show. Figure at least 1.5" on each side of the aisle, and they're now at least 3" narrower, so instead of 42", they're only 39".

(4) Remember the comment about the refrigerator depth? If you have a counter-depth refrigerator, then the aisle b/w the island and refrigerator is not at all what you show. Figure at least 6" narrower -- so instead of 42", that aisle is closer to 34.5", assuming the counter is not included in the island since it isn't included in the perimeter measurements. (42" - 6" for additional refrigerator depth - 1.5" for counter overhang on island = 34.5").

(5) Seating at the island...keep in mind that each seat needs 24" of linear space and that two seats cannot share a corner. So, in your case, the two seats on the 4' side will take up that entire space. That means the two seats on the 6' side cannot "start" until 15" in from the left end. Then, add the 48" needed for two seats and you only have 9" left for that sink you show -- not nearly enough. (72" - 15" - 24" - 24" = 9")

(6) Something else to keep in mind...the minimum recommended overhang for counter-height seating is 15". With narrow aisles, it's even more important to use the minimums. If you skimp on the overhang, it just means that people will stick out into the aisle farther. It won't help you with aisle width.

(7) Move the DW to the left side of the sink to get it out of the Prep Zone b/w the sink and range. It also puts the DW and associated dish storage on the side nearest the "Nook". This allows you to have someone loading or unloading the DW without getting in the way of others prepping & cooking. It also lets someone set the table without getting in the way.

(8) I would not "round the corner" with the upper cabinets on the "top" wall. Have them die into the range wall like you show on the "bottom" wall.

YCZ thanked Buehl
  • Buehl
    2 years ago

Consider making the Kitchen an "L" perimeter + island. That way, you can make the island longer and have sufficient aisles all around it.

Something like this...

YCZ thanked Buehl
  • 3onthetree
    2 years ago

Which part is the addition? Is the existing structure accounted for that is holding up the 2nd floor?

• YCZ
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Buehl,

Thank you for the details comment. I didn’t expect that :)

I updated the floor plan drawing with pantry dimension.

Kitchen Floor-to-Ceiling height : 9ft (maybe 9.5ft, exterior elevation drawing in progress)
    Rangetop : 36” (not go bigger than this)
    Range hood : 42”
    Refrigerator: 36” width, standard counter-depth
    Pantry : 5’8” x 5’8”
    Wall oven/MW stack : 30” (open to idea of full range + MW on upper cabinet “bottom” wall).

Even with Pantry, we feel the need for a few more cabinets/storage in the kitchen. That’s’ why the first thing we think to remove are the two windows (W1&W2). Or at least removing W2.

We ACK’ed on the aisles spacing concerns you called out on the U-Shape design. Maybe one mitigation is to remove the 2 seatings on the 6’ side. Only keep 2 seating on the island at the 4ft side.

The L-shape kitchen concept is indeed interesting. Few questions / ideas if going with this route (attached a sketch):

(1). We would prefer to swap the location for the Fridge <-> Wall Overnight/Microwave. Does this flow make sense?

(2). How about removing the 2 seatings on the 54” side, and add the 3rd seating on the 72” side?

(3). Overall, the L-shape design will make the rangetop more asymmetric from kitchen center (as compared to initial U-shape design), is this common? We are open for asymmetric design.

(4). Will the “sound” from Powder Room be more noticeable since there are less items blocking/absorbing the noise? Imagine you're eating and someone is using the powder room...

Hi 3onthetree,

This is a whole house remodel and 2nd floor addition. Everything on upper floor will be new addition. Thanks.

• YCZ
    Original Author
    2 years ago

For the location that we preferred for the refrigerator in L-shape, we might need to keep few inches from the wall to account for the Right-half of the Ref. door when it's open.

• 3onthetree
    2 years ago

Have you consulted with an architect? Anybody familiar with construction?

I see the potential for lots of big beams and/or columns. That would put the flame out on your kitchen design party.