Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mxk3

Update: Added pics. Quick help please! Hardwood stain color choice

mxk3 z5b_MI
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Duraseal choices on floor now, torn on which one to choose -- I have my top two contenders but I've been hemming and hawing for too long and need some other opinions. Flooring is red oak, cabs are hickory (natural).

Lights on:

Left to right = Special Walnut, Chestnut, Nutmeg, Provencial

Top to bottom: Special Walnut, Chestnut, Nutmeg, Provencial

Lights off:

Left to right: Special Walnut, Chestnut, Nutmeg, Provencial

Top to bottom: Special Walnut, Chestnut, Nutmeg, Provencial

ETA: If you could tell me why you like or don't like a certain choice would be helpful, and what kind of undertones you see on your monitor (because I think I'm so tired of this I'm seeing tones that aren't really there...)

Comments (14)

• herbflavor
    2 years ago

nutmeg.

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

In the second two photos - lights off?
    They all seem a bit red to me.

In the first two photos I like the chestnut and the nutmeg.
    I think I’d go chestnut
    — but —
    Are you keeping the cabinets as is? Then I might do the nutmeg

• Lyn Nielson
    2 years ago

I vote provencial.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Number 2 reads very dark to me and I don’t like the blackening of the grain. Three seems kind of yellow in some of the pictures and a little too close to the cabinets in value (?) tone (?) can’t remember the terminology. My vote is either 1 or 4 for more contrast.

• julieste
    2 years ago

I too vote for more contrast. The stains seem inconsistent in the photos; what's darker in one isn't always the same.

• malabacat
    2 years ago

I like Nutmeg then Walnut. On my monitor the nutmeg is the lightest and I like that look. The walnut also looks nice, and the grain shows through nicely.

• tdemonti
    2 years ago

Natural? (no stain)

• kculbers
    2 years ago

Nutmeg.

• PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    2 years ago

Every color will enhance the red. You don't see it in these small swatches. But once a room is completed. Chestnut will do the most and Provincial the least. I would choose Provincial.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Update: I had to make a choice this morning, they're going to start staining today. I decided to go with Provencial. I'm terrified of too much red (I think I'm traumatized by the RED floors that were here when I moved in...), and while I actually like Nutmeg the best in the swatches I think that a whole house of it is going to be too blah. Hope I made the right choice....'cause I'm going to be stuck with it.

I'm not too thrilled with these flooring guys. They're pretty well known and highly regarded in this area, but they are *really* negative against water-based finish (they keep mentioning the downsides of it in conversation), even though I was very clear that is what I want and am paying for, they didn't put down good swatches initially (swatched over a rough sand, then re-did and water-popped the swatches), didn't topcoat the swatches -- I did that myself at 11:00 pm last night to help me decide). Couple other things, too, but all I can do at this point is just judge the final result/workmanship. From what I can tell so far, that is excellent (running in new wood, smoothing out transitions, etc) -- but we shall see when all is done...

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    2 years ago

Post updates!

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here's a couple shots of the finished floor. I went with the Provencial. It looks very different with the lights off -- it looks warmer/more golden with the lights on (3000K).

(no that's not a layer of floor dust on my counter LOL! = it's just the way the undercab lights are hitting in in this shot)

Here's a shot of the foyer with the lights off; you can see how it doesn't have that golden hue -- but dang red oak is always going to have that hint of pink.

• Elle
    9 months ago

I'm loving your floors in the pictures and sounds like you are happy with your choice of Provincial. I'm glad because that's what I am choosing for our project for same type floors. They are a beautiful, rich but not too dark color.