Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_793413686

Help! What is one shade darker of Ice Cube Sherwin Williams?

Natalie H
2 years ago

We currently have Ice Cube through out most of our condo (family room, main entrance, kitchen, and hall ways). We have a north-west facing window and cool LED pot lights throughout. I like Ice Cube when the lights are off and you can actually see the "cool gray". However, when the lights are on and it is day time, it looks white. We have dark furniture in the family room (brown couch, black coffee table, black tv stand) and a white kitchen (no windows).

I've currently spent $50 on paint samples to test on the walls and I don't like any of them. I got BM Classic Gray (it looks like a creamy white, nothing gray about it), BM Stonington Gray (it is very dark) and Sherwin Williams Repose Gray (my husband thinks it is too brown, but of all of them, I think this is the best one so far).

I'm open to suggestions or if you know what one shade darker of Ice cube is.

Comments (11)

• Andrea Morrell USDA Z5 / CAD 5B
    2 years ago

Take a look at Ben Moore's Grey Mist. Have you gone to your local S-W store? They may have some other suggestions as well.

• Lyn Nielson
    2 years ago

Take a serious look at your lighting.

You may need to add lighting or change things up.

• Natalie H
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I asked the workers at both SW and BM and they don't have much of an opinion. They always say "it's up to you and what you like". Grey Mist has a high LRV so it will look just as light as Ice Cube. As for lighting, we have LED pot lights all over. Not sure what to look at? Do you mean changing it from a cool tone to a warm yellowish tone? Not sure if i want to do that.

• kandrewspa
    2 years ago

SW's website says the next darker color is Rock Candy. SW6231. Rock Candy is more gray than Repose Gray but it still might be too light for you. Have you looked at On the Rocks, SW7671?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

what color do you want exactly?

(as a suggestion, go to Home Depot and get the 2.99 Behr sample pots. have them color match the BM or SW colors. I've done it many times. I actually prefer Behr paint too. )

So, Light Pewter, Pale Oak, Sea Salt (BM)

or , this mixture (BM Smoke Embers mixed w/a quarter ratio of Abalone) :

Smoke Embers is a nice, shade. a little darker that what you have. but a warmer gray tone.

similar staircase. this is BM Sea Salt. (try it in the Behr Sample)

You can see these other 3 compared to Revere Pewter (your Repose looks a little on the taupe side in your room)

Collingwood is nice

AnewGray is a tad warmer/darker

• Marylee H
    2 years ago

Both very near neutral, light greyed colours from the Green-Yellow Hue Family.

May look ’just grey’, show a flash of their parent hue or shift noticeably more blue in certain imbalanced light settings. View carefully in situ to see which character traits are likely for you.

• Marylee H
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Rock Candy sits between Ic Cube + Dimpse in terms of Value (lightness), but it also the most near neutral of the 3.

Rock Candy sits further clockwise, deeper into the Green Hue Family.

But the same applies - may look ’just grey’, show moments of its inherent greenness or shift more blue. How it renders is context & light dependent.

• Marylee H
    2 years ago

Ammonite + Repose Grey are from the warm side of the Yellow Hue Family.

They each may appear a warm grey or in some lighting shift more lavender/blue.

All these near neutral colours are more prone to colour shift far more than their more colourful siblings.

• Jennifer Hogan
    2 years ago

If you love the color of Ice Cube you are looking for a very neutral gray. (Low Chroma) (C) (1.59).

Below are all of the SW Paint colors with a Chroma under 4 sorted from dark to light.

Passive is the same Hue and Chroma and is just darker. Silver Strand and Silverpointe bot have a bit more color, but anything with a Chroma under 5 is still really neutral.

I would test these three and see if you like any of them.

• Jennifer Hogan
    2 years ago

You will also have much better results if you test your paint correctly.

Create a large swatch- paint on poster board or water color paper (my preference). Leave an inch of white around the edge. When you paint on your wall you are only seeing the color in that one spot. You are always seeing the color in comparison to the wall color that you will be covering and you are going to compare the different colors that you paint next to each other. We see color in conjunction with the other colors around a color - our minds automatically compare the colors (the reason white can look yellow or purple in one setting and perfectly neutral in another).

Look at one color at a time. Look at the colors at different times of the day, in different rooms and in different locations in each room.

Watercolor Paper: (Can also be purchased at Michaels or Hobby Lobby).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NQ49PLM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

This is from the SW website. It illustrates colors that are a bit darker and lighter to your paint color.

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6252-ice-cube