Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
imhoff72

Shower glass “cut out” to access valves?

J Inhof
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi, We removed a tub and are replacing it with a shower. I want to use a glass enclosure with a door of some kind. We want the shower to be as ‘accessible’ as possible. I am concerned about access to the hot/cold water valves when turning on the shower if the glass panel is in the way. After researching here on Houzz I read about adding a ”cut out” in the fixed panel through which we could access the valves.

My question is: Has anyone tried this and had success with access yet kept the water from getting out? Any advice on this? thx.

Comments (30)

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    2 years ago

Is this to be able to turn on the water before stepping in? Wouldn’t you want to be able to feel the water temp before stepping in?

• thinkdesignlive
    2 years ago

It’s really not that much more in added plumbing costs to move the controls. I’d be concerned about water splashing out of that opening (and if everything around that area is tiled it’s technically not an issue other than added glass maintenance after a shower). Some people can’t be bothered to squeegee or towel off the inside of a shower let alone the outside.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

That opening is larger than you need. We did a half moon in our glass shower and it worked perfectly. No water escaped from the shower since it’s so close to the back wall and our shower head forced the water to the center. This is an example of what we did. Ours was a bit smaller.

J Inhof thanked RedRyder
  • Mrs Pete
    2 years ago

I don't love it.

The controls don't need to be under the shower head ... if possible, I'd rather see the controls on the other side of the shower so you could open the door /reach in. I think that'd be more convenient than reaching through that small hole. Also, as someone else said, it'd be easier to put your hand in to check the water temperature through the door.

• scottie mom
    2 years ago

I’d ask your glass installer’s advice. It seems a little fussy, but it may also work very well. i do think you’d want to make sure it’s a thermostatic rather than a pressure balance valve though.

• Jeff Meeks
    2 years ago

Move the controls. The cut out just adds to the cost of the glass and will allow water get onto the outside floor and curb. I went with a shower curtain because it allows me to reach in to turn on the shower and test the temp before I step in. IMO shower curtains are a far more practical solution than glass and they are far less expensive. But people want the "look".

• cpartist
    2 years ago

Just move the controls to where you enter the shower. I'm guessing moving the controls will cost about the same as getting that cutout in the glass.

• Helen
    2 years ago

Move the valves. I did a remodel and replaced the tub/shower with a larger walk in shower and added an additional valve. The drain is going to be changed anyway since a shower requires a different drain than even a tub/shower.

Since you are down to the studs anyway it is relatively inexpensive to do that kind of stuff and is a penny wise economy to save a bit of money and have to use a gerry rigged solution.

FWIW - although I don't think resale should be the end all and be all - if I were looking at a home where there was a hole cut into glass in order to access the valves, I would think that corners had been cut (no pun intended) in other aspects that I couldn't see because it is such a weird set up. I personally wouldn't want to reach through a hole in my shower glass to turn on the water and regulate temperature.

In your example photo I wouldn't be surprised if there were only a shower curtain previously and so there wasn't any issue of accessing the valves.

• PRO
    Mint tile Minneapolis
    2 years ago

On average our clients pay around 500$ to relocate valve( when the valve is getting replaced) and the walls are opened up.. You dont want a leaky wonky Hole in your glass. If it can be done do it .

• mcarroll16
    2 years ago

Another option would be to get a good shower wand. That lets you aim the water flow at the floor or wall while you get the correct temperature dialed in, then hang it up for a comfortable shower. Get one that adjusts up and down on a rod, mount the rod to a stud, and you've got a grab bar too.

• oreet
    2 years ago

What about adding a toe tester? It’s a spout (similar to tub spout) a few inches above the shower floor that allows you to test the water temperature before redirecting the water to the shower head. It’s easily done and not expensive if you’re already down to studs.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

The big issue here I think is that the shower is finished because if it is not this is the time to change the position of the valves to just inside the shower door.

• ker9
    2 years ago

We added a handheld that we can direct toward the wall until temp is good. We did not have an option to move the controls. I’m very happy with the unit as I can change temp separate from water volume.

J Inhof thanked ker9
  • J Inhof
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for your interesting thoughts. I think I will add a cut out similar to the one redrider pictured iin her post. we do have the valves plumbed into the wall and the walls reinforced and ready for tile so we aren’t moving anything around now. we didn’t really have any choice in valve placement because of other issues in the walls. For anyone interested in pricing it was a lot more than $500 to install the plumbing. (I don’t know why I always end up paying more than the norm. ) I will post pics after it is installed.

Thx again. 😊

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

@J Inhof - I’m going to state again that the half moon cut out did not allow water to get on to the floor. And most people who came to visit thought it was a unique and clever solution to a universal problem. Good luck and keep us posted.

• Jeff Meeks
    2 years ago

The half moon cut out is better than the square because it's easier to cut and as it has no corners there will be less stress in the glass.

• RedRyder
    last year

Ask your glass guy what they will charge for the cutout. I barely remember when I did it. It is NOT expensive! And it does NOT allow water to get on the floor.

• Denise Magee
    last year

We just converted our guest bath from a tub/shower combo to a curb-free shower. The contractor put the valve on the opposite wall and it works perfectly. I think it is a much better idea than to cut into the glass.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    last year

I would have gone with sliding glass shower doors instead. OR, I would have moved the valve across from the swing door to the shower.

• J Inhof
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

hi Sabrina, In our situation we could not use the sliding door idea and we could not move the valves because there were vents and piping in the wall already. In any case, this little cut out is genius in my opinion.

• Fori
    last year

The whole thing looks very nice and not a bit "off".

The only possible downside I can see is that you might have to be a little extra careful cleaning the shower. :)

• duli
    last year

I am baffled as to why people respond to a post before reading all the previous posts that have clearly answered their suggestions.

• Chuck Damler
    8 months ago

I will say as a contractor, that putting the valve in an accessible area is the first idea. But in a curbless shower with only an outside wall and a glass panel, that doesn't work. We have done many of these and everyone always thinks it is brilliant and loves it. And no water does not spray out. We also did one with a cover like a mailslot in glass, it shuts and works great. Nominally extra from glass company. And if you look at the cost of custom glass anyway it is barely a blip. something like this for the door. But honestly you do not need it.

• Paul F.
    8 months ago

I did this. I'll be darned if I don't keep reaching in the wrong direction while showering though.

• jodyrah
    8 months ago

Curbless, doorless shower. Glass is high maintenance to keep spotless, the only way it looks good (invisible). Just eliminate it.

• melissaom
    6 months ago

@RedRyder approx how big was your half moon opening in terms of width? We have all of the shower valves moved away from under the shower head in all of the bathrooms in our new build but we can't in the primary as that would be on an outside wall, which won't work with our weather. So, we are thinking about the half moon entry idea to reach the controls. Thanks!

• RedRyder
    6 months ago

I do not live in that house any more, but I think the vertical measurement was 12” (or less) at the tiled wall. It wasn’t very large, but arms need to be able to reach inside. Mine was a half moon curve.

It was in a guest room bath and always got positive comments.

• melissaom
    6 months ago

Thank you @RedRyder!

• K A
    5 months ago

J Inhof, your shower looks great. i have a question about the floor space. you said you ripped out a tub and put in a shower. how many inches in floor space do you have from your wall to the curb? Im thinking of doing the same in a bathroom and im worried it will look/feel too narrow. Also i do like your cutout and i may do one. I have glass door swing issues and want to be able to turn on the water without stepping in. I cant move my valves as i have a pocket door on the opposite wall. cutout is also my only option i think. Are you still liking yours?