Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
staceynyc

coordinating kitchen light fixtures, please help!

staceynyc
2 years ago

Hi,

We are redoing our kitchen in traditional white shaker cabinets with white countertops and backsplash and gold hardware accents. My style is modern and minimalist. I am looking for pendant lights to hang over my peninsula and large rectangle kitchen table. I would like them to coordinate but not be too Matchy matchy. One idea is clear glass globe pendants with a sputnik chandelier. The other idea is a white pendant but I’m not sure what chandelier would go with it. Would love any suggestions! Thank you so much!

Here are some examples of what I picked so far:

Comments (18)

• jackowskib
    2 years ago

I think you have made some beautiful selections. There are just so many options out there perhaps others will give more lighting ideas. For the pendant choice be mindful of how much light you'll get, clear glass will likely be brighter but you could put a dimmer switch for those.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

Helpful would be to post the dimensions of peninsula and table. Along with ceiling height.

• loobab
    2 years ago

I don't think they are matchy matchy.

But it would be nice to see where they are going.

• staceynyc
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for the comments. The peninsula is 80” long x 39” wide. 12” of the 80” has cabinets over it. Ceilings are 8’. I’ll attach pictures here. Any advice is welcome on lights.

I’m also looking and long/modern sleek gold drawer pulls. Any suggestions on length of upper cabinet and lower drawer handles? Lower drawers are 15” and 21” wide.

• lindalana 5b Chicago
    2 years ago

I too think they are matchy matchy. You are repeating pattern in too obvious way. Lets say you keep first light. Take one feature and repeat in second light, maybe gold but does not have to be round or clear glass. Then take one feature from next light and repeat in third light. That way it still ties up with each other but it does not look like it came from one store.

Also think about scale. That fan looks big in the picture, make sure your lights correspond to your place by size.

Those knobs look very traditional. You are choosing mcm sputnik light, angular. Look for angular pulls? This way you tie the picture? https://www.build.com/product/summary/1542873?uid=3630437

• staceynyc
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks everyone for your comments. My contractor is going to do the wiring for the lighting in the next day or so and I’m having second thoughts on my combination of lights. I would be so appreciative if I could get some feedback on combo 1 versus combo 2. Both combinations will have the same Sputnik light over the kitchen table but I’m not sure which pendants over the peninsula and which sconce over the sink. Thank you so much!

Combo 1 (one of those pendants)

• staceynyc
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Combo 2:

• mcarroll16
    2 years ago

Pendant #2 in the first lineup is fantastic! The white cone and very clean simple brass hardware is as good as it gets for modern/minimal.

Love the sputnik fixture too, but have you looked at a similar fixture in person? I've found I can't handle the glare of clear-glass fixtures. Obviously some people can, but make sure you've tested that before you order the fixture. There are very similar chandeliers with frosted shades, if you find the clear glass to glaring.

• staceynyc
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks so much for your feedback. If I go with the white dome pendant, do you like it with the brass cone sconce? Is it too heavy looking? My kitchen isn't huge- there's a picture at the top of this thread. Thanks!

• mcarroll16
    2 years ago

No. I love the shape and style of the brass cone sconce, but the finish isn't the same as the pendant or the sputnik fixture. My instinct would be to try to harmonize the brass finish on all three fixtures. That said, I'm not a pro. Just a woman in the middle of my own hunt for kitchen light fixtures.

• staceynyc
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks. I actually ordered a few but from different companies to see the finish. Thanks so much!

• mcarroll16
    2 years ago

I hope one of them works out. You have a beautiful kitchen!

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

Lets talk about scale, looks like your end cabinet opens out into the peninsula space, and you have low ceilings, this combo often makes pendants in that space rather hard. I would not put pendants over the peninsula unless you are removing the end cabinet.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

Also, are you changing the dining table? What led you to the sputnik? Do you have a drawing of the new space? what is changing here? I am gathering you are losing the cabinet above the sink? Is this why you would like a sconce there?

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

ugg I have a million lighting design questions here, and you have little time to make the right call.

You will be losing 3 recessed lights to have pendants and a sconce, do not choose clear glass for those, the light quality is not great out of a decorative bulb.

• staceynyc
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for your feedback. We are moving the recessed lighting, the cabinets over the sink, new table, new everything.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

the cabinet over the counter does it say