Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
librarian_gardner_8b_pnw

What do you think of Crazy Love?

I'm considering Crazy Love...does anyone have some experience (good or bad) they'd share? I'm curious about the blooms (colors, quantity and how long they last) as well as the bush habbit. One review said the plant was over 8ft tall--hybrid tea-like plant with floribunda sized blooms.
Thanks so much for sharing!

Comments (30)

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

I'd like to know too. :)

librarian_gardner_8b_pnw thanked rosecanadian
  • sara_ann-z6bok
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I’ve had Crazy Love for about four seasons. It was one that was shipped to me by mistake, but not one that I regret having. I would say the color of this rose calls for careful placement, it can clash big time with other colors. It’s been a good rose, and healthy, but hasn’t gotten that tall here. I haven’t noticed much fragrance.

librarian_gardner_8b_pnw thanked sara_ann-z6bok
  • rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Sara Ann - what a bloomer!!! I love everything about it...except for the lack of fragrance...but, your rose is a show stopper!

• librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oh that's absolutely beautiful, @sara_ann-z6bok. If it had good fragrance too, it sounds like it would be a perfect rose.

Do the petals drop cleanly or do you have to deadhead?

• ann beck 8a ruralish WA
    2 years ago

Since I was planning to get Crazy Love, I looked on HMF and found one grower in OR, he said it does like other Kordes in PNW and gets big. I have to hack my Savanah down from 6' + or let the deer prune her. Strawchigaco cuts her big Kordes' down to 12" after first flush, so that is a possibility.

As to scent: English nursery says no fragrance. Heriloom says sweetly fragrant moderate scent. So does J &P. I am thinking it will depend on who is smelling it. I may roll the dice on this from High Country.

I was going to put Crazy Love near Lady Emma Hamilton, but I might just move South Africa instead. I love the scent on South Africa. It stays 3 foot in a pot.

I only have one Kordes that drops cleanly and it has no scent. So I am guessing no.

librarian_gardner_8b_pnw thanked ann beck 8a ruralish WA
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks, Ann. I was thinking of trying this from HCR too. It's good to know that they still bloom well with big pruning after flushes. Too bad about the fragrance. So far Love Song is the only non-fragrant rose I planted. I might make another exception here with Crazy Love.

By the way, how do you like Savannah? That's another one I was considering trying this year from HCR.

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Flowers - Your first picture took my breath away!! Amazing!!

• robin rose
    2 years ago

Crazy love is a beautiful show stopper in the garden, lots of blooms and flushes, but gets very tall, 6'-7' I chop it back. No scent to speak of but blooms last well on plant and in vase.

librarian_gardner_8b_pnw thanked robin rose
  • robin rose
    2 years ago

librarian_gardner_8b_pnw thanked robin rose
  • sara_ann-z6bok
    2 years ago

Your Crazy Love is gorgeous robin rose!

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

I agree. Diane

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Robinrose - GASP and SWOON!!!! I mean, come on!! :) :)

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Edwards here locally has Crazy Love on its list, and I'm seriously considering it. Does it do well own root (I prefer grafter) because that's what it's offered on? Robinrose, is your Crazy Love own root? What a beauty it is. Diane

• dianela7analabama
    2 years ago

Diane I have two ownroot crazy love in pots on a north facing balcony. They have done incredible even in the pot. I am certain they would be spectacular in your garden. These look very orange but they usually have a mix of orange and pink.

This one was a tiny band and it grew this much in a few months

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    2 years ago

Wow ! Fabulous color! Diane, that would look fabulous in your empty spot.

• Madison Post
    2 years ago

• Madison Post
    2 years ago

• Madison Post
    2 years ago

Ive had mine for only a season. but the color range is spectacular

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Thank you Dianela and Madison. The photos are wonderful and reassure me about the own root (I hope) Crazy Love. I love all the colors which remind me of my Augusta Luise. Diane

• robin rose
    2 years ago

Diane my Crazy Love is grafted from Palatine

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Robin, yep. Grafted does better for some of us, and it certainly has produced some splendid blooms for you. I was hoping not to have to order from Palatine, and I'll bet they're out of stock by now anyway. Thanks. Diane

• sara_ann-z6bok
    2 years ago

Diane, mine is also from Palatine, but I don’t even think they listed Crazy Love for 2022. Most of my Kordes roses are from Palatine, but my Dark Desire is own root and I’ve been pleased with it.

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Edwards here in Boise is offering a five gallon own root Crazy Love. I'm still dithering. Kordes don't do that well for me--I got several Kordes in the past from Palatine. I noticed Edwards is now offering Julia Child both grafted and own root. They may have gotten some complaints about the OR--just wondering. I think there is a big difference between Julia OR and grafted. Thanks for the input, Sara Ann. I will drive myself crazy over Bathsheba VS Crazy Love and then probably not get anything. Do you grow Bathsheba? I'm thinking you do. What do you think of her? Just going off topic a little. Diane

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Dianela - thoroughly lovely!! Really awesome looking rose!

Madison - yours is certainly a great bloomer!! Can't imagine what it will do for you as it matures in a larger pot!

Diane - I grow neither...but I'm thinking that since Crazy Love is so similar to AL...that maybe Bathseba may be a more interesting choice??

• sara_ann-z6bok
    2 years ago

Diane, I was wondering, because I do recall you mentioning before that Kordes Roses haven’t done that well for you. I’m wondering which ones you’ve tried? So far I haven’t had much success with Austins, the only two I have are Darcey Bussell and Lady of Shalott. I do so admire your gorgeous Austins, and all of your beautiful roses!

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Sara Ann, I've grown Heaven on Earth years ago when it first came out; Caramel Antique, which I'm still growing; Party Dress, a disaster. If you look it up on HMF you will see a photo from Dianne's SW Idaho Rose Garden back in 2012. I don't know who she is, but she's not me--ha. I grew three Sisters Fairy Tale roses, all are gone. That's all I can think of now, but all are gone except for Caramel Antique. On the other hand, I love growing Austins with Olivia as an exception. She's big and healthy, but I don't like her. Oh, and then there was the non lamented PAoK. But I have a lot of Austins starting their 18th year here, and I grow a lot more of them than I ever have of Kordes. Thank you, and I love your gorgeous roses most of which I don't grow. I guess we'll have to just admire each others plants that we can't grow.

Carol, I think it will be Bathsheba, but the size is daunting. Diane

Original Author
    2 years ago

I stepped away for a few days and wow, this post got so many beautiful photos. Thank you everyone who has contributed. Gorgeous photos @Madison Post, @robin rose, @flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA, @sara_ann-z6bok and @dianela7analabama.

I went ahead and ordered CL from HCR last week. It is beautiful, and yes, @Diane Brakefield, it reminds me of Augusta Louise which sold out at Palatine this year before I was able to submit my shopping cart. So...CL it is...even if it's not as fragrant, those beautiful shades and ruffles will look great in the garden!

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Diane - you'll need to go all Halloween with the chain saw on your Bathsheba when it starts to give you kip. :)

• ann beck 8a ruralish WA
    2 years ago

librarian_gardner_8b_pnw If I remember you are on the wet side of OR, so Savannah will do really well for you, you can prune her hard after spring flush or just cut really long stems for arrangements. Our Walmart carries her every year, but you might not be close to one and the garden section really varies. HCR always has her, so you could stick her on your wishlist and then keep an eye out for her. All my Kordes are very easy care...must be the German climate being similar to ours!

librarian_gardner_8b_pnw thanked ann beck 8a ruralish WA
Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH