Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akarpasov

need help picking floor sealant

akarpasov
2 years ago

Hello, I’m hoping to get some help picking a floor sealant for our red oak floors. There are numerous discussions about this topic here but could not find much about a particular Bona sealant called Bona Natural Seal. I’ve been trying to decide between Bona Nordic and Bona Natural seal. It seems like the Bona Nordic is a very popular choice, but I’m not sure I want the white washed look. Bona Natural seal was the next level. I like the slightly warmer tone. Anyone have experience with this color sealant? Thoughts?

Comments (8)

• PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    2 years ago

Natural seal will be a lot more warmer compared to nordic seal. It is meant for the raw look, but tends to be more on the warmer side. It is paler/whiter compared to classsic seal. It looks best with a matte sheen. Over red oak, you will have more pink to yellow tones with a pale look.

With Nordic seal, your floors will be mostly white with pink hue. Recommended sheen is matte, this helps tone down the pink versus shinier finishes.

• akarpasov
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for the info! My contractor put some samples on the floor yesterday and I definitely saw the pink tones and raw look you mentioned and it still looked quite light and cold to me. I ended up choosing a product by Loba that still had the light look but was warmer. It’s called WS Easy Prime.

• HU-138075218
    last year

@akarpasov do you have any pics of your finished floor? were thinking of doing loba easy prime and supra 2k at semi gloss on unstained red oak

• akarpasov
    Original Author
    last year

Yes, happy to share photos. We’ve been very happy with the results! We did a matte finish though. Hope this helps!

• HU-138075218
    last year

That looks nice! It did come out warm but not too warm. I’m switching from 35 year old orange oil poly so I don’t mind if the easy prime gives the floors a touch of warmth. I’ve seen a few people mention it has very very slightly warm/not 100% invisible which is fine.

• akarpasov
    Original Author
    last year

Yes, not too warm and still relatively light. These pictures show it a little darker than it actually is. I also recommend the matte sheen - makes the pink undertone less visible. Good luck with your project!

• HU-138075218
    last year

My only debate with a lower sheen is that our has has very few windows. We have a large sunroom which is great but we’ve come to find that the rest of the house isn’t so bright and really only the kitchen window and one of the bedrooms gets direct sun shining through so I’m worried a less sheen will look dull.
    I may ask him to do the first coat semi gloss and if it really is too glossy I’ll switch to the satin.
    Did you go with Loba or bona matte?

• cjs4775
    last year
    last modified: last year

i just had my 130+ year old longleaf heart pine sealed with 2 coats of Bona NaturalSeal then 2 coats of satin Traffic HD. There’s a whisper of pink onnsome boards but hardly any and, in my case, all of the wood in the house sort of offsets it. These floors were very much lived in and somewhat abused over the many decades they’ve been in service. I’m really happy with the result.