Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
komeht

Which Engineered Wood Floor?

komeht
2 years ago

OK - we're having to replace our wood floors in our house due to some water infiltration damage on an insurance claim. And, rather than replace with the existing hickory - we're making a change since the hickory is too yellow, too busy, the planks too narrow. . .

The aesthetic of the house is overall scandinavian - clean and modern, on the lighter side.

We've decided to go with a white or european oak in a wider plank. Specifically we're looking at lighter and more natural tones, smooth or very light brushed texture, tighter grain and fewer knots (though some character is welcome of course).

After many many hours and samples and going back and forth we have a couple of top contenders.

https://villagiowoodfloors.com/product/duna/

https://kentwoodfloors.com/us/our-floors/showroom/brushed-oak-gold-hill

The Villagio samples are quite nice with a beautiful but tight grain that shows - I would say the color is blondish with kind of a hey or sand like color - a bit toward more yellow than brown. The wear layer is 4mm with 5/8" thickness and the wood is prime AB, polyurethane ao finish. Planks are a very wide 9.5". Appears to be chinese sourced product but I believe is CA section 01350 compliant w/certifications from SCS.

The Kentwood is a similar tone that goes more to the brown side than the yellow. A bit more character - but still quite nice. Looks like maybe a 3mm wear layer (though Kentwood doesn't seem to say in any of their online materials) on a 9/16" board and the plank is still wide at 7.5" instead of 9.5". Same polyeurethane ao finish. I think there is more variation a bit more grain and maybe it's more abc or abcd instead of ab - but again, Kentwood doesn't say.

I think they'll both look nice. The construction seems solid on both with 7 layer ply base. Not overly concerned with the wear layer as I can't really forsee the need to refinish the floors.

Mostly - we're looking for something timeless that will look beautiful no matter what trends are going and mesh with the existing aesthetic. I'm think I'm drawn a bit more to the Kentwood - but will the construction differences be a concern longterm?

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

I think there is no way to advise on this question I personally do not like extra wide planks in flooring they look fake to me

komeht thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • James Cronk
    2 years ago

@kohmeht the differences in the wear layer and thickness are negligible and wouldn't concern me in terms of choosing one floor over another. I haven't heard of Villlagio but I know Kentwood to make good floors and stand behind their product.

• komeht
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks - to my untrained eye the samples on both products look good with nice wear layer, 7-layer ply base, nice finish. . .it's really hard to see a difference in construction. The Kentwood seems much better known and the Villagio seems like a much smaller company. Both have long warranties (I think the Kentwood is longer) - but essentially these will be lifetime warranties). I think the Villagio is China sourced and not clear about Kentwood. But as long as the construction is good and it meets environmental standards I'm not sure if I should be concerned about that. Both have smooth textures with poly uv ao finish.

Apart from the differences on the companies - the big differences on the planks seems to be -

Color: the Villagio is more of a sand/blonde/straw color, and the Kentwood is more on the brown/gold side. And - we're still waiting to get a sample in of the Kentwood in our preferred color - so of course, depending on that we may or may not confirm our preference.

Width: The Villagio is a wider plank at 9.5" to the Kentwood at 7.5". We're coming from 3" exising planks. The home is not tiny, but this is the upstairs and the spaces are not large either, hallway, bedrooms, office, stairwell. . .so I wonder if the extra wide plank might look odd in that kind of space.

Grain/Character: While I wouldn't say the Kentwood is knotty or rustic by any means - it seems to show a little more grain/character.

• James Cronk
    2 years ago

@komeht unless the space is really open the 7.5" wide planks will look better. 9.5" is a really wide plank

• komeht
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Not a great at showing actual color, but here are the samples over the existing floor. Kentwood on top, Villagio below. . .

• jysoccer
    2 years ago

@komeht which did you decide on?

• komeht
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Went with the Kentwood - we like the tone a bit better and I think the 7.5" plank will be better scaled to the space.

The downside to me is the wire-brushed finish. I don't know if that was a mistake or not.

gets installed at the end of February. I'll post some pics when it's in.

• jysoccer
    2 years ago

@komeht - Thank you. Would love to see pictures. We are considering that same color/brand as well. Thanks again.

• jysoccer
    2 years ago

@komeht Thanks for sharing pictures. Looks really really nice. Hope you like it. It doesn't look too gold (despite the name)...do you think the pictures look close to how it looks in-person?

• PRO
    Unique Wood Floors
    2 years ago

@komeht It is so beautifully done!

• komeht
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@jysoccer - pretty close. I would say the staircase photos are a little more accurate to my eye. The photos in the hallway look maybe a half-shade - cooler than they look in person.

• komeht
    Original Author
    2 years ago

And yes - I would also not be fooled by the name - the floors read pretty natural and do not look too yellow or gold to me.

• jysoccer
    2 years ago

@komeht - they look really great. Why was install a mess (floor related, sourcing, or install company)?

• komeht
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@jysoccer - problems with the installation company. We had existing floors that were fine - so there was no hurry on the installation - so we ordered the product and were prepared to wait several months before it arrived. A month later, they called us, said the product was in. We then scheduled the demolition of the existing floor and installation - about a month from then. We then made arrangements for ourselves, our pets to be away the week of the installation. I called twice more to verify the start date. We then packed up our entire upstairs, put all our stuff into boxes, and moved it out of the way and moved to a hotel.

Day of the start - no one showed up. No call either. I called three times to find out what was going on. Finally - they said, well they went to the warehouse to get the materials and half the order wasn't there and they had no idea where it was or when it would get there. Moreover, they had forgotten to coordinate with the folks demolishing the floor, so that didn't get going.

Then what followed was a series of miscommunications, promises, failures to follow through, etcl that turned a 4 or 5 day job into a 3 week job. All this over the absolute busiest time of year here with every hotel booked for about 50 miles in every direction.

So yeah, we're not happy with the installation team. also, there was some sloppy work that ended up having to get covered with shoe molding, which was not our preference.

So - some lessons learned. Mostly not to use the installation company that we did. . .but the floor is finally in and it looks pretty good.

• Samantha Wright
    8 months ago
    last modified: 8 months ago

@komeht Beautiful floors! Can you comment on how this floor has held up a year later? We are considering this company and are a little concerned given reviews on durability.

• Lindsay Lagreid
    2 months ago

Can you share how your floors are holding up? They look beautiful and I have chosen a color I love but it’s such a big purchase I would love to hear your thoughts on durability. Thank you!