Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ed_ollie

Need help with dining room chairs

ed ollie
2 years ago

Greetings everyone! My wife and I scored a great table at the local RH Outlet! The St. James table is antiqued grey oak, but we will likely stain it darker.

Thanks for your recommendations!

Comments (13)

• elcieg
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Table is huge. I suggest not staining it darker and recommend a chair with no arms, similar tone, no more wood.

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

Gorgeous table!! Great find!!

I agree. Don’t stain it darker.

For chair suggestions - can you show the space?
    and your style?
    I do think the chairs they show it with look good. But I agree a little contrast would be nice too.
    Maybe wood and black ?

But again, show the space so we can get a real feel. And also, see what other colors and accents you have in there...

• thinkdesignlive
    2 years ago

More information needed - will you have a rug? I’d say yes to soften the space. We see a smidge of furniture in the other room so your style is transitional leaning traditional? Would you like soft seating or just a padded seat? Host and hostess chairs with arms or all armless? If you agree to the rug I’d start there first and then select chairs.

• ed ollie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Certainly adding a rug. Host/Hostess chairs w/arms preferably at the ends of the table and eight chairs (armless) to fill out the space. Transitional leaning for sure. Padded seat versus soft seating for sure.

• thinkdesignlive
    2 years ago

Finding a rug for that size table is definitely tricky - you might want to check out flor.com. You can order samples - this shows how you can combine products to create borders (border isn’t necessary for you IMO - but this shows the flexibility of the product)…the styles that look like aged Turkish rugs might appeal to you and once colors are narrowed down then easier to start selecting chairs…. https://www.houzz.com/hznb/photos/transitional-elegance-transitional-dining-room-houston-phvw-vp~28737963.

• PRO
    Bergen Furniture & Design
    2 years ago

The look of table fantastic and I don't think need to be darker.

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

Here are some options I found. I can keep going, as options are unlimited. But help me narrow it down. Nix some and let me know what you like.

Also, note - you don’t necessarily have to have different head chairs, and I’m not certain I would. I kind of like when its all cohesive.
    Maybe we can find a chair that comes with arms and matching ones that do not.

Here are some

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

Here are some arm chairs. I think if you want head chairs, either of these can work.

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

Also. I know these are stools. But they come in chairs too. Do you like this idea?

• Kate
    2 years ago

I think you will need a larger chandelier or add another one. That’s a big table. If you really want to change the stain you will need to make sure the old finished is completely stripped or your stain will be blotchy. It would be a big job to get it right. I would leave it.

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    2 years ago

Hi Ed I assume the leaves will come out to make the table an appropriate size for the space? I have used this table a few times and I think the color could work as is. Changing the stain color is going to be tricky as this table is a combination of solid wood and veneers. Instead of taking the table darker I would ground it with a nice neutral rug with some depth in color to it. I would consider taking your walls darker and doing lighter drapery panels against them for contrast. I would choose chairs with a different finish. Black chairs would tie into your metals. You can balance that by doing upholstered arm chairs in the ends in a neutral fabric. Once the table is in the room I think youre going to find that it makes your existing light look a bit wimpy. If you can, two chandeliers would be nice but if its not an option I would think about one large linear light.

• ed ollie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you all! I love the comments👊🏾The table looks gorgeous in the pace. I have one leaf out for daily use, but agree that keeping the color may be best. A custom rug would change the game with an addition chandelier. We are going to look at some chairs next week. I learn heavenly toward the different finish approach w/upholstered ends. I’ve learned to listen well, so we’ll see where my wife’s passion turns out:)