Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta A 2021 ..........

Welcome back. Are you ready? Show us your As:

As always, I am off to work! Have a great day!

Comments (58)

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

One more shot of American Halo: same day, color looks very different, no filters used

debra

• Mosswood
    2 years ago

Late-season Abiqua Drinking Gourd that is roughly 10 years old. Deep shade.

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Afterglow is probably my best hosta. Its margins brighten throughout the season to a nice yellow (2nd pic) grown in hot part-sun. It is my driveway hosta.

Avocado is much more subtle, but has a reliable presence and great flower display.

Apple Pie by Tony Avent is a joy all season, and has a long growing season. The flowers are nice. This is the 2nd season for it.

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    2 years ago

thanks Paula!..I know about the alphabet..but it slipped my mind and it was fun to see it today!..

my A's are represented but I'll post mine too..

Abiqua Drinking Gourd..I have several..love these..

August Moon..I put one in this combination pot..temporary stones for squirrels sigh..adds a nice touch of color..

Autumn Frost..an autumn pic..don't they look better than their neighbor?..(a Royal Standard)..

thanks everyone..loving your photos..

• bkay2000
    2 years ago

UndertheOaks, I was taken with that Apple Pie. When you said it was an Advent hosta, I was ready to order it, as his hosta are bred for warmer climates and not easy to find. It's not an Advent hosta. According to the hosta library, it was an E. Smith hosta. So I looked it up in the hostaregistrar.org site and it's not registered. I then followed up with looking for other hosta by E. Smith. Apparently, E. Smith never registered any hosta, although many are credited to him/her and registered by others such as Paul Aden and Peter Ruh. Please get some good pictures of it and send it to the hosta library as yours is much nicer than those in the hosta library.

bkay

• old_dirt 6a
    2 years ago

Thank you Paula. I told myself I was going to take more and better pictures last year but most were just quick snapshots again. Nothing outstanding but mine just the same.

Allan P McConnel

Amereican Sweetheart

Ann Kulpa (cutworms?)

August Moon

Autumn Frost

• Beth - Michigan 6A
    2 years ago

Paula, thank you for bringing the alphabet back. I love this time of year, this helps me change the winter no-Hostas season to dreaming of Hostas season.

Debra, your American Halo is beautiful, what kind of light does it get? Mine is struggling, I moved it last year and hope it will be happier.

Beautiful pictures everyone, thank you for sharing.

Abba Dabba Do

Abiqua Drinking Gourd

Abiqua Moonbeam

Alakazaam

Allegan Fog

• Beth - Michigan 6A
    2 years ago

Part 2

American Sweetheart

Ann Kulpa

Atlantis

August Moon

Autumn Frost

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Bkay, Apple Pie (Avent) is a different plant from the E. Smith one. I bought it during a fall sale at Plant Delights in autumn 2020. I saw it in the green house and could not walk away. I love it, and am glad you do, too.
    I don’t know if they will ever sell it again. Here is the archived catalog entry for it.
    https://www.plantdelights.com/products/hosta-apple-pie

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    2 years ago

anyone know if the apple pie flowers are fragrant??

would be quite interesting if it had longipes/hypoleuca flowers with plantaginea fragrance ...

i cant tell if that one unlabeled pic above is apple pie in bloom ...

maybe we ought to start a new post on AP alone

ken

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Ken, I do not recall the flowers being fragrant. The photo above is indeed AP in bloom. When I post from my phone, I can’t caption as easily. Sorry.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

Peren, all your A’s are beauties. Love American Hero (related to Andrew???) and wish my August Moon looked as good as yours.
    Utog, love Apple Pie….
    Oursteelers, love Amalia…. I ordered it last spring but did not receive due to the death of the vendor. I still want to get it.
    Mosswood, your Andrew is lovely.
    Old dirt, cut worms for sure……beautiful August Moon!
    Beth, you also have a lovely AM……my American Halo was planted in 2018, between a southern fence and the lannon stone wall as you can see in the second pic. It’s basically in complete shade because of the fence. Maybe it catches a late afternoon ray of western sun when the sun sets, but that’s it.
    debra

• Saija_Finland
    2 years ago

Thank you Paula.

Atlantis

Aristocrat

Alex Summers

Saija

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Saija, if I did not already own Aristocrat, I would have bought it after seeing your photo today. Wow! My Atlantis looks like yours, narrow margins with a lot of waviness throughout the clump.

• Saija_Finland
    2 years ago

Undertheoaksgardener: Thanks, Aristocrat is a beauty. My Atlantis is young plant, maybe it changes when it grows.

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Abiqua Drinking Gourd, which I hope becomes as luscious as Mosswood’s, and young Atlantis, which looks more like Abba Dabba Doo. After seeing Beth’s photos, I will be grateful for it to look like either one in time. My Atlantis is fun as it is for now.

• mbug_gw
    2 years ago

Hey Paula, thanks for stepping up......again!

Abba Dabba Do

Abba Dabba Do 5-15-21....this one gets less sun

Abba Fit....hasn't done much for me

Abiqua Drinking Gourd 6-27-21

Abiqua Moonbeam 5-30-21.....after rain

Afterglow

• mbug_gw
    2 years ago

Next A group

Alligator Shoes blooming 7-23-21.jpg

Ambrosia 5-21-21

American Icon 5-22-21

Antioch 6-4-21

Ann Kulpa 5-16-21

• mbug_gw
    2 years ago

Last ones...

Aquamarine leaves......nice new one ....purple edging around the leaves. Hard to see in pic.

Atlantis 5-21-21

Autumn Frost 7-23-21

Thanks again Paula, and thanks to everyone for posting and sharing!

• gardenchick2010
    2 years ago

I've seen these alphabet threads in the past, but never got to participate before. But this year I took lots of pictures, so I'd be ready. I don't have as many hostas as some of you, but I do have enough for several letters, including A.

Autumn Frost - newly bought - 07/26/21

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    2 years ago

Thanks Debra. American Hero looks like it could be related to Andrew but it is a sport of Revolution. Andrew is a slow growing sport of Blue Mammoth. AH is quick to establish and grow.

Your August Moon is lovely and will catch up soon!

Wow as usual everyone! Great to have you back Saija and for you to be able to join in gardenchick.

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    2 years ago

Thanks for kicken off the alphabet, Paula!

Laurie, that's amazing that you're running out of room with how much space it looks like you have!

sweet_betsy, early hail damage, ugh! Been there.

utog, such a pretty Afterglow and big for being in a pot.

old_dirt and Beth, nice to see other American Sweethearts. Should be a more popular hosta!

mbug, I do like that Aquamarine.

gardenchick, glad you're joining in!

Everyone's pics are so uplifting!

Drought with water restrictions this year so some browning of leaf edges, but the hostas did their best!

Atlantis

Arc de Triomphe, someday I'll remember to pull out the trellises behind it.

Ann Kulpa

American Beauty

2 years ago

sandyslopes everything looks great. I drool every time I see your Arc de Triomphe.

I planted new ones but leave room for them to mature. The last area available for planting got put off because my DD had to reschedule her wedding until this Sept.. (Covid) The area is dedicated for guests. A happy reason not to plant.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 years ago

While looking for C pictures, I came across this.

Aspen Gold

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    2 years ago

Laurie, a wedding is a good reason to delay planting up a new area!

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    2 years ago

Hello Paula! Glad you returned to do the alphabet! Love the hair clip! My daughter would just freak out if she saw that!

Unfortunately, I didn't take a lot of pictures this year. My husband built another raised bed for me, and like all projects, it took a lot of time.

Also we had a frost in the spring whereby I tried to cover as many plants as I could. I thought Atlantis would be OK, but this year was not a good one for it. So no picture.

Sorry to hear of your hail Sweet Betsy. I understand how disappointing that would be.

Peren.all, I have to chuckle---your Appletini is anything but "tini!"

Oursteelers, sorry to hear about the excessive heat. What is the name of the hosta with big leaves in your second picture (middle left)? I love big leaves!

Debra---American Halo---love it!

Everyone's Ann Kulpa is so nice! I'm adding it to my wish list. Heaven knows where I would put it! Slow grower?

Undertheoaksgardner and mbug, love Afterglow! On my wish list!

So all I can show you right now is: Abiqua Drinking Gourd. I have a few of them. One in the ground and the others in pots.

2 years ago

Sorry about the frost nhl. I had it too but yours would have been farther along in growth than mine. Did your new raised bed get finished in time to be planted? Very nice ADG's!

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    2 years ago

Well, I am behind the times as usual. Let's see what I can do to catch up.

Abiqua Trumpet

Afterglow - I love the subtle color variation in spring and also when the color really pops later (pic from July 8th)

Alligator Alley has quite the color change too. I moved this one as it emerged as it became much bigger than I expected the previous year. Two pics, one from May 12, second from June 2.

Trying not to post repeats, but Amalia is such a favorite, its hard to only post a single pic.

American Sweetheart

Angel Falls has quite the color change too, but perhaps I'll save that for later. I just wish I could stop the leaves from tearing.

Ann Kulpa has such a nice flower scape height to go with the leaves.

That's about half way through my As (is it weird I think that's missing an 's'?) You deserve a break today.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    2 years ago

nhl, that is Blue Dolphin. I really like him too, I think he would do better if it weren’t for all the maple roots but he does ok. Slug resistant, holds the blue, retains shape…slow grower but like I said I’m pretty sure that’s because of all the roots

2 years ago

Lol Steve the alligator parts are hilarious with AA. It is very nice! Afterglow & Amalia really are special. I need them both after seeing them here for years. So the tearing is yearly on AF and not physical damage from a ball, foot, pet, wild critter...?

(is it weird I think that's missing an 's'?) lol!

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Steve,

I love that Abiqua Trumpet. I added that to my collection last year and look forward to seeing it grow. It has a lot going on and a good growth habit. Your Amalia tests my resolve, but I am determined not to buy one. Dancing Queen turns lime green very quickly in my yard, even with lots of light. DQ is brilliant in the spring, but disappears into the background after the first 2 months. I have had trouble with Angel Falls, too. Yours is way better than mine.

Everyone,

I have missed you, almost as much as I miss my hostas.

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

NHL, your ADG's are wonderful!

2 years ago

Two for the price of one. Appletini flanked by Apple Candy.

Let's try to capture that purple edge on Aquamarine.

Arctic Blast - love this one similar to so many others. I think I might like Astral Bliss better. Would love to see some comparison photos.

I tried this experiment in 2020 of planting Lunar Orbit in the fairy ring of August Moon. Lunar Orbit is a sport of August Moon so I thought it would grow similarly or even better than August Moon due to the darker green edge. Well, so far it isn't great, but perhaps next year will be better and some judicious leaf pruning will help the appearance.

I have so many cool pics of Awakening Angel, its hard to stop.

Ayesha (what does that mean?)

Azure Frills

2 years ago

steve..I was playing on a hosta website yesterday taking screenshots of favorites..I took one of Amalia, Arctic Blast and Astral Bliss!..they appealed to me and apparently to you too!..great minds think alike!!..Lol..

2 years ago

Peren.all, thanks for asking about my new raised bed. It wasn't quite finished by the end of the season. We had dirt brought in twice, but 1/4 of the bed would be higher than the other part. That's the part that didn't get enough dirt to finish. So at some point we just made the bed's soil all at one level and I began planting in order to get the plants in before frost. So come spring, I will have to remove plants from part of the bed in order to add the soil that didn't get added in the fall. I grew some plants and propagated some for my horticultural society's spring plant sale and planted them there. But covid might change all that as the society has not been able to have a plant sale for the last two years. I am trying to make more room!

Steve, your Afterglow is so pretty too! I do really need one! I do think Afterglow resembles Goodness Gracious. What do others think? I do have GG, but I know I NEED an Afterglow!

Steve, your Amalia and Angel Falls are so pretty! Looking at Angel Falls, it reminds me of War Paint. But WP turns green at some point, and Angel Falls doesn't?

Steve, more pictures of Awakening Angel please!

I found a picture of Amalia:

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada
    2 years ago

I am glad that I am not the only one late. I wasn't sure of the date and well,, here I am. I, as well did not take many pictures and what I did take got destroyed with my old computer. I have late in the season pictures and not hostas in their pristine form.

Happy New Year to all my Hosta Friends !!!

Ok on to my pics.....

Alakazaam

Ann Kulpa

Aristcrat

Atlantis

Autumn Frost

Abiqua Drinking Gourd

Abiqua Recluse

August Moon

Another Atlantis, It is huge! My Sum and Subs, is in the back just to give you an idea. I love them big ones.

Thanks for taking the time to look and hope you enjoy.

Sandra ;)

2 years ago

Glad you joined in the fun Sandra! I love big hosta too! Yours are looking great!

Happy New Year to you and all the Hosta Forum members!

2 years ago

Thank goodness the timing of your computer crash allowed you to get these wonderful pics Sandra. Very nice!

2 years ago

Sandra - your "not pristine" Alakazaam is more tempting to me than other pics of it I've seen. One reason I love the alphabet.

Peren - There are actually two whole alligators there. One's a baby and they lie in between Alligator Alley and the new Crocodile Socks. I actually got the Alligators first. I remain hopeful for Angel Falls after losing my first one. Not really sure what the damage is from, but it has happened the past three years. I do suspect my dogs may be stepping on it.

UToG - If going green is your issue with Amalia, try Dancing Darling as it's tendency is to go white but still starts with that lovely yellow center. Pics don't do Abiqua Trumpet justice and I couldn't decide which one to post, so here's another one for you.

Nichols - I've said it before, great minds think alike, but insanity runs in families and like UToG implied, you people are my family that I don't have to suffer through holiday gatherings with.

NHL - Angel Falls is the reverse of War Paint. Starts solid and quickly turns streaky with the white middle. Afterglow does look like Goodness Gracious but it is bigger and GG is slightly more ruffled. Can you tell which is which in this pic?

more Awakening Angels

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada
    2 years ago

NHL-I would not miss the fun. I love the alphabet and seeing all the beautiful hostas that everyone takes so much pride in posting. Who would have thought that I would enjoy my hostas even in the cold chilly freeze I live in!

Peren-I took these pics in Aug but didn't download them. My computer was 15yrs old . I was on Windows 7 Ahhhh!. Now I am good hopefully for the next 15yrs.

Steve- Thank you so much for your kind words. I can't wait to see all your hostas. AS you have such a diverse collection.

Debra- I am using your neat skill at commenting........thanks for the tip. ( I told my son I wanted a 300 page Notebook for Christmas)

Sandra

2 years ago

steve..Lol!!.."hosta people" are kindred spirits!..we truly relate to one another..we use social media in such a good way..

2 years ago

Steve, I didn't know that Angel Falls' coloring is the reverse of War Paint, but doesn't go green. Interesting. Dancing Darling is not offered in Canada as far as I can tell right now.

Steve, I believe I can see the difference between GG and Afterglow in the picture. GG looks like it may grow a little lower to the ground, and it does have that wave on the edge. Both are stunning hosta! (I do have GG, but it is not as mature as yours. . . yet! But I still want Afterglow!

Thank you for posting additional photos of Awakening Angel. That is a unique and pretty hosta! It's on the wish list!

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

STEVE!! I have been waiting for you to join up! Good to hear from your and glad to be considered part of your family as well as everyone else’s in this forum! ♥️
    Now comments:
    Steve, love Alligator Alley—— does it only grow with the “alligator “ in the ground?? ;-) I want Amalia sooooo bad, but haven’t been able to get one yet……. Your Aquamarine and mbug’s are beautiful! Orbit/ Moon planted together look pretty good!! Oh and btw “Ayesha” is a female name…… :-D

Mbug, forgot to mention how beautiful your Ambrosia is…..so soft and subtle!

nhl, nice ADG……. but wow you have a lot of work ahead of you come spring in your new bed!!

Sandy, if these pictures are late season, I would really have loved to see the early season ones. I love that Atlantis, everyone’s……. might have to get that one….
    debra

• brpbsp
    2 years ago

Hostas-Store.com - https://hostas-store.com/product-category/hostas/ - has Amalia listed as available. Last season I ordered from them and received very nice plants. Would/will happily order from them again.

2 years ago

brpbsp..can't believe you found Cupatini..looked around on multiple sites for 2 days..only place I've seen it was the nursery you mentioned on the C post..

Amalia is hard to find too..think? I saw just one..forget where..

2 years ago

NHL - Angel Falls isn't exactly reverse coloring. I hate to be an As (new spelling) or misleading. The same coloring but the opposite transition. From solid to variegated as opposed to War Paint's variegated to solid. Which makes War Paint the better and bigger grower but less interesting to me. I did get War Paint last year and planted it next to Angel Falls to enjoy their transitions.

Alligator Alley started getting big before the Alligator was planted near it. Here's a pic of the alligators. the little one is somewhat buried to the left of the big one and in front of AA. Crocodile Socks is the other little Hosta in the pic.

2 years ago

Steve, I think I understood what you meant about Angel Falls the reverse coloring. No misunderstanding.

I have a War Paint. At some point it deteriorated, but now has recovered and in desperate need to be moved to a less confined area. I'll point when we get to W.

Having Angel Falls and War Paint side by side sounds perfect to me! No room at my place, so I will have to wait until you post a picture of such.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    2 years ago

brpbsp, so, just ordered Amalia. Thanks for the info!

debra

• undertheoaksgardener7b
    2 years ago

Aqua Velva for first two, and Avocado