Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cavimum

Our new Speed Queen FF7 front load washer - observations

Cavimum
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I recently ditched my 10 1/2 year-old Miele W4842 (our first FL washer) and bought a SQ front-load washer after doing a fair amount of research. A big thank you to

Jeffrey Caban for your topic at this link reporting on your new SQ FL three years go.

We ordered the machine in early December 2021 and it was delivered three weeks later.

Why SQ? It has 3.5 cu ft capacity. Other brands with pedestals available are 4.5 cu ft and larger. Our Miele 4842 had 4.0 cu ft, which was really larger than two empty-nesters need.

The European brands are smaller and have heaters, but no pedestals, and right now I’m needing a vacation from a Euro-built machine. I’ve sunk a lot of money into that Miele washer with repairs over the years, and it was a love/hate relationship. Miele cost $2000 USD; out-of-warranty repairs $1700 USD including sales tax; let's just say I'm snake-bit and over it and was not about to put any more money into the Miele with whatever came next at its age.

PRO – smaller machine capacity with pedestal option available, made in USA. Pedestal/riser is a must for me.

CON – no internal water heater*. I knew this before I bought it. It is the biggest down-side of the SQ and they lose a LOT of customers over this. It is a trade-off for the famous “reliability & performance” the SQ is known for and I am hoping for. Only time will tell on that.

* Internal water heater is important to many on this forum. I get it and I respect that. Please, no bashing/debating machines without water heaters here.

NOISE - Consumer Reports says the SpeedQueen FF7 is noisy and they weren’t kidding. If you don't have a laundry room near living space, with a door that can be closed, this might not be the machine for you. We can close the door, so it's not a problem for us.

GASKET is black, which is interesting. This is only my second FL, so I have only one point of comparison. There is no way to ever see if mold is growing on it. Not a problem for me, since after 10.5 years with the previous FL, I never had mold and the machine always smelled clean. GardenWeb/Houzz laundry forum people here share good washing machine hygiene tips and I used them.

The FF7 received top ratings by CR magazine, per their own testing methods, for washing performance. Everyone has an opinion on CR. For the most part, I find their ratings helpful, not real-life perfect. It is what it is. If it turns out this is not the machine for us, we will go back to something with an internal heater and deal with it. . We survived all our lives without an internal heater in TL washers. From now on, the dog bed will just get a little more borax, oxy bleach, and extended wash cycle.

PAUSE option does not really work as described on page 15 of the owner’s manual (a free .pdf download from SQ’s website). In reality, when a wash cycle is paused, the tub drains out all the water and then the door can be opened. Upon resuming the cycle, the washer fills up with fresh water. SQ customer service told me ‘the detergents today are designed to cling to fabrics, so it should not be a problem. You can add more detergent if desired when you restart.’ Hmmm…

I suggested to the SQ customer service rep that they mention in the Owners Manual that the tub will empty out when “Paused”. She said she will pass than along to whoever.

On the plus side, if I see a load has been overdosed, I can pause it to empty the tub, then restart, the machine will refill with fresh water, and a lot of that initial over-sudsing will have been drained away. So that’s a win.

RINSING – So far, the SQ is rinsing much better than my previous FL. Much. Whenever I saw a bit of froth at the front of the door window/gasket of the previous FL, I knew there would be rinsing issues. When I see a bit of froth in the SQ window/gasket area during the wash cycle, it is gone after a rinse or two. The tub drain holes are much larger than my previous FL and I suspect frothy suds pass through those holes much more easily. My sensitive skin appreciates this.

All SQ rinses are tap-water cold.

More notes will be added as a comment below.

---edited to correct amount spent on OOW repairs .

Comments (27)

• Cavimum
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Part 2 of observations:

The SQ FF7 has a Soak option. This is nice.

SQ’s “Sanitize with Oxi” might be a bit of a joke, IMO, because is no internal heater. Instead, it wash tumbles the load for 60 minutes with whatever one’s water heater HOT comes in at and oxygen bleach added along with detergent. They count on the oxygen bleach to do the sanitizing. The owner’s manual must assume we are using liquid detergent because it says to put the oxy bleach in the bottom of the tub before loading the laundry.

I washed the dog beds on this cycle yesterday, with unscented (!) detergent. Thirty minutes into the 60-minute cycle, I paused it, took the temp, and it was 122°. I ended the cycle and ran a regular cycle because the beds might not survive another half-hour a their age. The beds smelled great when they came out; as clean as they did with our previous FL.

This is good to know, because in the future I can wash the dog beds on another cycle with HOT and oxygen bleach, and the machine allows me to add minutes to any wash cycle to bump up the wash time.

EXTRA RINSES – This is awesome! All cycles have two rinses, except the Quick Wash which has one. There is an option for EXTRA RINSE, in addition to the option for ALLERGY RINSE which is two more rinses. A grand total of five rinses for any given wash cycle can be had. Extra rinses can be added to Quick Wash for a max total of four rinses, but since it is a 4-minute wash cycle, it won’t get used often, if ever.

SPIN CYCLE option– this can also function like a ‘Rinse & Spin’ cycle. By adding options, the tub fills, agitates, and spins. The Miele didn’t have a soak option and there were a few times I wished it did. So that’s a win if, I ever want it.

The SQ FF7 comes only with a quick-start guide. Not much info but probably as much as the average consumer will read. For roadmap geeks like me, the Owner’s Manual is available online to anyone as a free .pdf download. It gives not only the cycle times but the minutes and seconds for each portion of every. single. cycle, rounded to the nearest ‘5’ minutes. Okay, I’m not that geeky, but it is handy when choosing which wash cycle to use because it is based on length of wash/tumble time. All tumble speeds/styles are the same except the Delicate cycle as a gentler one.

PEDESTAL - We had a SQ pedestal installed with this machine because I simply cannot get that far down to the floor to load and unload a FL washer without one. SQ pedestal is four inches shorter in height than the Miele pedestal and it is just a riser; there is no storage drawer built in. Lower riser + machine design means the tub is approx. six inches lower than my previous FL, and I feel the difference. Not a deal-breaker and I’ll survive. I’m just glad to have a pedestal!

So far, all our laundry is coming out very clean. We use Free/clear unscented laundry products 90% of the time, so any residual oils or dirt are not covered up with perfumes.

We kept the Miele dryer because it works well.Besides, the SQ dryer is 7 cu ft (why???) and we just don’t need that large of a dryer for a 3.5 cu ft washer load.

• Cavimum
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Additional observation:

Re: the HOT wash, there is a workaround. Today, I ran an empty load (no detergent & no soap) on HOT with pipes primed. This heats up the drum and tub. After five minutes, I canceled the cycle, and it all drained out. When I opened the door I could feel the heat & steam. Then I quickly loaded the laundry & detergent and began a new cycle on HOT. Fifteen minutes into that cycle, I paused it, took the temp of the laundry itself with a meat thermometer, and it was 134°F. That is good enough for me, fifteen minutes in. It IS a workaround that wastes maybe 5-7 gallons of water, and good to know if a really hot wash is ever necessary.

• dadoes
    2 years ago

And thus is an example of how much heat is lost to the mass of the machine parts (and initial cold clothes). Fifteen mins into the wash you're 12°F higher than what the primed hot supply alone typically provides.

• luna123456
    2 years ago

It is also very dangerous to run a water heater above 120F. Scalding and burns happen very quickly. It only takes one accident to cause significant injury.

A built-in heater with a door lock is so much safer. I’m glad your happy with your purchase. If the house was for sale i would be replacing rhe washer immediatly, but I have kids.

• Mark
    2 years ago

All this waste to achieve a hot wash load without heater is nonsense. I would have considered a speed queen if it had a heater. Thus why I went Miele. Love and hate Miele too, but someday maybe they will fix my machine to achieve full bliss.

• Cavimum
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Mark - I agree it is a waste of water and energy to heat it. For that reason, I will only do it on rare occasions, as needed, like if/when the dog is sick on her bed. My follow-up post was simply to share there is a workaround when necessary.

• armjim
    2 years ago

Luna, you make an excellent point; if we had children in the house we would probably be more concerned with scalds and burns. We have two water heaters (common in this area of Texas apparently) and the one that services the LR also services the kitchen and one bathroom which is seldom used. That is how I can get away with setting it higher. Still, it is set lower than its maximum.

• SEA SEA
    2 years ago

Congrats Cavium! I hope you are very pleased with your new SQ FL washing machine! Your detailed posts are very helpful for those considering this model. Happy washing!

Cavimum thanked SEA SEA
  • jwvideo
    2 years ago

What Sea Sea said and more thanks, Cavimum.

The details are much appreciated and, I think, much in keeping with and as helpful as the rational and helpful discussion we saw in the Jeff Caban thread you mentioned.

One comment about scalding when water heaters are run at higher temperatures. Maybe you are one who sets your water heater to 140°F to limit risks of legionella? Maybe you occasionally boost the water heater to feed a nearby washer? Maybe you have other reasons? You can add a tempering (anti-scald) valve to the water-heater's hot-out line. An electronic one came with the Westinghouse water heater that I bought a couple of years ago. It has a take off for sending full (or boosted) heat to a washer or dishwasher while the water going to the household hot-faucets is limited to non-scalding temps. My nearby heaterless FL washer can get water at whatever hot temperature I want for a wash cycle while the household faucets get tempered, non-scalding water.

But, as has been said before, such solutions come with costs, trade-offs and inconveniences which some will find acceptable and some not.

Cavimum thanked jwvideo
  • SEA SEA
    2 years ago

Cavium,

As to your lack of an internal water heater, I'm sure you gave that hours of thought. Balanced that against the repair bills you've had and then thought some more. I have too for when it comes time for us to replace our SQ TL, which we are not in a hurry to do, just want to be informed and educated as we would need a smallish FL in our laundry area. Plus dh is tired of his dress shirts getting roughed up in our enthusiastic TL. Also we are in CA and while not actually impacted by droughts as far as water supply (top of the water chain and not part of the watershed) we are subject to penalty tier billing by our amount of gallons used on our bill by default being CA residents; the law of the land, if you will.

You mentioned up thread that you are, to date, getting good results with your hot washes and things are clean. Dog beds I think you said. I believe you as we wash in hot at 140F in our SQ TL, use Borax when needed, powder detergent with oxygen bleach in it, or sometimes Dropps oxi pods if using liquid detergent. I tell ya, all our whites are bright doing that. Laundry is clean and fresh. I only have some staining on my rags once in a while from mystery substances. Might be hot sauce, maybe spaghetti sauce; don't know, but everything comes clean except for whatever that mystery stain might be. I don't pre-treat though. Might not be anything to look at if I did pre-treat. But I'm not going to pre-treat rags. I think a 170F or above (Bosch/Miele/Asko) wash cycle likely would erase those spots though.

I read just about the entire owner's manual (on line) for your model SQ FL a few months ago and I gave extra reads to the section on soak cycle as we do soaks here for lack of a true profile wash in a heated FL. I was intrigued with the length of time one could set the soaks for. Bonus points in our book for SQ FL. I know dh really perked up when I told him the soak function on your model could go for hours and hours and be gently tumbled during that time. He couldn't care less about washing machines, but he does like the results of soaks and pre-washes.

Time will tell if you are truly pleased, but I think you will be and perhaps in the areas that might be a step down for you coming from a Miele, it seems your improved rinsing is a big win for you to help balance it out. It seems we have to do some give and take when it comes to washers these days.

• Cavimum
    Original Author
    2 years ago

SEA SEA - there have been stains that did not come out of kitchen towels and clothing with the previous FL that had an internal water heater, and I pretreat everythjng, Go figure.

• SEA SEA
    2 years ago

Oh! Well, there's that! Given this info, you might be more pleased than you think you'd be. Best of luck to you with the new washer. It's a solid washer and definately on our list of contenders. I do believe we'd be happy with it, and I think you'll be happy with it, but let us know how you get on with it. I've read so many glowing posts here of Miele and the like that we wonder what we'd miss out on. Then I also read posts about very costly repair bills with Miele...that's scary to people with a budget. Congrats! How exciting!

• hisown
    2 years ago

Lucky you!! I so much wanted a Speed Queen Frontloader, but my husband nixed it because of the price. We got a top-of-the-line Electrolux instead. It is very nice, but I still wish we had gotten the Queenie.

• SEA SEA
    2 years ago

Cavium,

How's your towels coming out? Are they still fluffy or are they getting sort of matted or scratch or roughy? I ask because when we had our FLers, our towels all became scratchy and the loops were strangely matted down. One wash in our SQ TL freed all the loops.

• Cavimum
    Original Author
    2 years ago

SEA SEA - So far I have seen no change in the towels. No matter the brand, the 140°F hot in our former FL wash made them all stiff and scratchy and i gave them away and bought new ones. Over and over. I even tried RLR and GroVia in case it was a detergent residue issue, to no avail. A true WARM wash (100°F) has kept my newer Costco towels fairly soft in the former FL, though not as soft as brand new. I am sticking with that, including in the new SQ FL where i have not seen any noticeable change. I am allergic to fabric softeners and dryer sheets so water temp is all I have to work with.

Interesting thing is the few surviving towels from the 1970s, 80s, and early 90s are still soft. Go figure. The terry loops on those are much shorter than the current shaggy fashion. It is hard to know if loop length makes the difference, or cotton quality has changed for the worse, or a little of both.

• a2gemini
    2 years ago

Thanks for sharing the information. We are still struggling on the replacement for our old Miele.

• SEA SEA
    2 years ago

What a nice post to see Cavium. I'm really pleased for you! Great information you are sharing here! Sounds like you are going to keep it :-)

• Cavimum
    Original Author
    2 years ago

SEA SEA - Yes, so far, so good. Fingers crossed!

• newenglandsara2
    last year

Cavimum, any updates? :) Also, how many bath towels do you find you can wash at once, and can you fit a queen-sized quilt in the SQ? Thanks for the great details!

• Cavimum
    Original Author
    last year
    last modified: last year

A queen size quilt will fit. I can't say if a Q-size puffy comforter would fit. That would have to be taken to the store and stuffed in before buying. Or someone else here with a SQ FL might be able to weigh in.

We have a Q-size matelassé bedspread that is just as thick as our quilts and even heavier (weighs 7-8 lbs) and the SQ handled it well.

We are empty nesters so don't have many towels to wash reglarly. Ours are very thick and I only have to wash two at a time plus the hand towels and wash cloths. The machine could easily handle four bath towels, and probably more if they aren't as thick as ours(Charisma hygrocotton from Costco).

HTH

• newenglandsara2
    last year

Cavimum, thanks so much for taking the time to respond! Very helpful!

• Hallie B
    3 months ago

I just bought the SQ FF7 front loader and ran it for the first time. It sits on an elevated concrete pad I had put in my basement so it's level and I could not even move the 270 lb. machine back an inch, so I am pretty sure it was level. Note that I said *was*! During the spin cycles it shook so violently that it started "walking." I had to push on it/hold it during the spin so it would not walk off the pad. I am now wondering whether the installers failed to do somrthing or if something is wrong with the washer. It was so violent at the end that one of the feet broke off so it is no longer level.

• armjim
    3 months ago

Hallie, I saw a Youutube video the other day of a couple's brand new Samsung washer that started jumping and rocking with such force it eventually threw out the dispenser drawer before the woman was brave enough to unplug it. People commented about the fact you could plainly see shipping bolts not removed from the rear of the machine. I am wondering if your installers neglected to remove all of the shipping materials on yours. Here is the video:

https://youtu.be/KyjBVd7BWjA?si=YUOghCFelivGaOnS

• dadoes
    3 months ago

It's very alarming that anyone would let a washer continue to run while exhibiting the behavior seen in that video, and described by Hallie. Shut the machine OFF immediately, do NOT allow it to continue running. Damage can occur, as Hallie states regards to her new Speed Queen frontloader suffering a broken-off leveling leg.

• armjim
    3 months ago

It is alarming-the video I posted seems indicative of people using the machine for the first time and being caught off guard and not knowing what to do. I wonder if that first spin caught their attention and they came in to see what was going on. The man grabbed his phone and the woman a mop. In their case it would have been dangerous in the first couple of minutes to try and get behind the washer to pull the plug. That is why after have a FL washer is delivered and installed, the installer should be expected to run the machine to look for such issues. I'm afraid the average user does not consider things like this.

• Cavimum
    Original Author
    3 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

" During the spin cycles it shook so violently that it started "walking." I had to push on it/hold it during the spin so it would not walk off the pad."

I have not had this happen in two years of owning our SQ FL. I know nothing about installation because our vendor always installs for us.

Our machine recently made some really loud noises when the load was unbalanced --- only two items: a heavy looped cotton bath mat & toilet mat on the spin cycle. I knew better, but had a senior moment when I ran that load with just two pieces. But the machine didn't move or walk (and IKWYM about "walking"....old top load machines would do that, too) I paused the machine to add a terrycloth towel to provide more weight distribution for balance, and then the machine was happy.