Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krista_seattle

Floret Blog on Roses, including interview with Anne Belovich

Hi Everyone,

I thought you might like to see this series of blog posts over at Floret, including an interview with Anne Belovich, who was a national rose treasure.

Here is the blog: https://www.floretflowers.com/blog/

Post 1: https://www.floretflowers.com/a-rose-story-part-1-how-i-came-to-roses/

Post 2: https://www.floretflowers.com/a-rose-story-part-2-propagating-old-roses/

Post 3: https://www.floretflowers.com/a-rose-story-part-3-florets-rose-collection/

Post 4: https://www.floretflowers.com/a-rose-story-part-4-an-interview-with-anne-belovich/

Sorry to have been away from the forum for ages. I miss you all! Hopefully I'll be able to be back here soon -- I have half-moved to Arkansas (long story) so my gardening activities are currently disrupted. Happy 2022 everyone!

Comments (11)

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
    2 years ago

Hi KS. I hope to see you back here soon. This was really interesting.

K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle) thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • stillanntn6b
    2 years ago

Hope to see you at a garden in or near Arkansas.

K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle) thanked stillanntn6b
  • Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
    2 years ago

Thank you! The flower photography done by Floret Farms is so gorgeous, I had their calender last year. Can't wait to get to sit down and read this.

K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle) thanked Mischievous Magpie (CO 5b)
  • berrypiez6b
    2 years ago

Thank you K S for taking the time to post again. Once your new garden is underway it would be great to hear about it.

45 years ago I planted trees in the Oklahoma mountains where we had to travel across the border to Arkansas for the nearest laundramat. I was amazed the first time I saw an armadillo.

Floret is one of my very favorite websites, oddly I had forgotten about it . What a feast of color while the Winter landscape outside is white and grey stillness.

K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle) thanked berrypiez6b
  • Feiy (PNWZ8b/9a)
    2 years ago

Thanks for sharing KS. You're really moving to another corner from PWN. Expect to see the pictures of your new garden.

K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle) thanked Feiy (PNWZ8b/9a)
  • Alana8aSC
    2 years ago

KS enjoyed greatly, thank you for sharing!

K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle) thanked Alana8aSC
  • portlandmysteryrose
    2 years ago

Thank you for the links, KS! I have Anne Belovich‘s beautiful Gallica and Moss books and really enjoy sharing in her vast rose experience.

Arkansas? That is a looong move. It‘s good to hear from you and read an update. I’ll be thinking of you as you settle in. I grew up a state away in TX. My college boyfriend was from Texarkana. Only TX and Arkansas would name a city by splitting the difference. Ha, ha. If you need any rose replacements, and I grow the varieties, I will gladly mail you cuttings. Sending all my best wishes for a smooth journey and transition!

Carol

K S 7b Little Rock (formerly of Seattle) thanked portlandmysteryrose
  • Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    2 years ago

I think most importantly she lists a 20% off coupon at heirloom good 1/11 to 1/15 -- FLORET20

combined with the fragrant roses discount you could almost get to their pre-hike prices.

• jacqueline9CA
    2 years ago

Even before I met Anne Belovich (at the Celebration of Old Roses), I had been advised to ask her about a rose growing in our garden when we moved in (b/c it was obviously an old rambler, her specialty). It was in an area with 2-3 other mystery old roses (in shade from a flowering crab apple tree, and a flowering quince giant bush, and other shrubs which had grown large). It had teenie, tiny, pink blooms, and was lovely each Spring. I had to do something with the long canes it kept putting out every Spring, as they were longer than the 6 foot wide bed, and would otherwise endanger passing pedestrians. Anyway, someone gave me Anne's email address (I was just learning about old roses, and old rose people, who were the nicest, most helpful group I ever had met), so I sent her some pictures and asked her about my rose. I was astonished to receive a definite answer the same day, with pictures of the rose she thought it was. Bingo! It was "Dawson's Apple Blossom", and was probably planted (from where it was, tangled up with other things) by my DH's Grandfather or Great Grandfather.

Pic below of it playing with some of the other folks it was growing near (I like to let things grow how they want to if I can - in first pic crab apple not blooming yet, but you can see DAB (pink), quince blooms, what we think may be Fortuniana or Odorata, (white), Eugene de Beauharnais (dark pinkish red), with Cramoisi Superior (red), and Safrano in the background on the right. Even though we have lived here for 30+ years, I had nothing to do with planting any of these roses, the tree, or the quince. All due to my DH's ancestors. I love the wild combination.

The second pic is of a rooted cutting of DAB growing on a Moon Gate trellis thing we installed over the stump of a giant oak tree.

• ann beck 8a ruralish WA
    2 years ago

jacqueline9CA I love when you post...I learn so much! I saw youtube video of Anne...so amazing!

K S 8b Seattle I will send you some of our cool summer weather if you send me some of you lovely winter weather from AR.....I grew peppers in self watering totes and they survived the winter and gave us early peppers in summer. Had Kale all fall and winter in other self watering totes...to avoid the fire ants!

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus