Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tdotch

Countertops look off to me

tdotch
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We did a kitchen reno and picked out the countertop slab at the manufacturer. They looked white with brown grains running through it. When they arrived at my house, they showed us the slab outside and it looked great but when they installed the slab in the kitchen, the countertop looks like it has a tinge of blue. It looks off to me. When we have low lights on - you cant notice it but in daylight you can. The stone is from Vicostone - Quartz- Statuario. Does it look ok with the rest of the kitchen?

Comments (53)

• millworkman
    2 years ago

To many warms and cools mixed. The floors are what is throwing it all off in my opinion, too much stone, very cold feel overall. Also be certain whatever type range you install be certain it has a back guard if required, there are too many horror stories of scorched Quartz behind ranges.

• Melissa R
    2 years ago

floor and cabinets are giving off a warmer feel while the counter and backsplash are giving off a cooler feel, they don't play well with each other.

Hopefully a designer will come along and can help tie it all together for you.

• sherry52
    2 years ago

The cheapest thing to do would be to paint the cabinets. The floor and countertops are very bright white with blue gray tones but the cabinets are very creamy and biscuit colored. I would go for a Dutch blue or a dark gray taupe for paint.

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

This is harsh. White on white on white is all the rage and usually gets a ton of kudos here. I am surprised. It's not by jam either but still.... Curious you looked at the slab outside and it was fine but now natural lights makes it show blue..

• Olychick
    2 years ago

The cabinets are beautiful, the counters and backsplash are beautiful, the tones are just off. What color are your appliances? If they are stainless, you'll be bringing in some more cool tones into the cabinet area, which might help. I would not go to the expense of changing any of it, but play with lighting and accessories, runners on the floor, maybe try different color pulls. It really is going to be fine; leave the lights on if it looks better. A few similarly toned kitchens:

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

I guess mt first question is what is the lighting but you say in daylight it shows even worse so my guess the wrong color and I agree with that floor you should have gone opure white for the cabinets It looks to me like you have marble on the floor and fake marble on the counter so a bad combo to start then the addition of cream into the mix was a bad choice . I think now the best is to add some warmth so as much as I hate 3000K LEDs that might help. Also add some color now with accessories that draw your eye even a vase of fresh flowers will help.

• Melissa R
    2 years ago

I would first try adding in some cooler elements. I love your hardware, but it is also warm. Here I painted them a silver and a black. I think it helps a bit and it's pretty cost effective! Bring in some brushed nickel hardware, lights etc.

• herbflavor
    2 years ago

keep it illuminated. change hardware. finish up. use texture..wood/wicker/mats in blues/greens etc. you are not done. cools/warms are some of the best combos .

High Summit Drive · More Info

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    2 years ago

Classic mistake of warm and cool tone mis-match. I don't think accessorizing is going to fix it, it's a pretty glaring clash. If you can't learn to live with it, one of the elements has to change. I don't think the floors are that bad with the cabinets from what I see on my monitor.

• Shannon_WI
    2 years ago

The floors are the problem. Even without the issue of not going with the counters, they'd still be a problem. Completely the wrong look against the design of the rest of your kitchen.

• remodeling1840
    2 years ago

You must be so disappointed. You have poured money, energy, and time into one of the most used and important rooms in your house. Some people on this site seems think we all have thousands of dollars to rip out something you just paid to have installed. Ignore them. I do agree with the suggestion to get a really good, understanding designer involved. There will be a way to fix this disparity in colors, but you need professional help. Pictures on different monitors are giving different views to all of us. A designer, in your house with the actual cabinets, floor, counters, etc will have a better outcome.

• thinkdesignlive
    2 years ago

This is a lesson for anyone in a similar situation - one needs to bring the cabinet and floor sample to the stone yard to look at all the materials together or bring a large sample of the countertop to the home in the correct lighting to see with the floor and cabinets. You probably picked the floor carefully with the cabinet and that was a good match. Then got to the stone yard and saw ‘white’ and thought it would be good enough. Looking at the slab outside WITH your cabinet and floor sample before they installed would have been a good thing. I agree w Oly - do think a large rug would help - one that mixes warm and cool. Look at Floor.com too as those are kitchen friendly and you can get the exact size you need.

• User
    2 years ago

Countertops and floors are both off. But the floors are worse than the counters.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

haha @Patricia Colwell Consulting had to come to the lighting being too blue lol! that is a major part of the issues and the shadowing.

The cream cabinets are warm everything else is cool, note how even your window frame looks blue? I would start with the light bulbs.

• mimimomy
    2 years ago

Agree with arcy_gw and Olychick regarding not making massive changes now. I also think this is a lot about lighting. There may be other elements some do not like, but before I'd start pulling stuff out, or painting new cabinets (No!) I'd first make some of the changes Olychick suggests. And agree with arcy_gw, last year this would have been wonderful and there would have been many positive comments for the white on white on white. And much like arcy_gw, white on white on white is not my "thing" either but nonetheless, I can see how it appeals to others and don't feel the need to insist that you need to destroy a kitchen to get to something appealing with the elements you currently have in play. Live in it a while, finish it, put in your decor and furnishings. Hey, if you don't like it in 6 months, then you can start pulling stuff apart. Good luck! I think your kitchen will be lovely.

• Janie Gibbs-BRING SOPHIE BACK
    2 years ago

Any chance you can post pictures with a higher resolution?

Agree on changing out the hardware, the black looks great.

Are you open to removing the valance above the window? Perhaps some type of a roman shade with visual interest?

Can you remove one of the upper cabinet doors and replace with a glass door with simple, in cabinet lighting?

And the range hood, are you open to removing that?

As always, agree w/Patricia in regards to bulbs.

The straight edge looks sharp on the countertops, a bullnose would have soften the look but I assume we want to work with what we've got?

Do you have an inspiration photo you were working with from the beginning you can post also?

• husterd
    2 years ago

As others have said. Try the lighting first. Put everything together, live with for a while. Think what is worse case to solve the problem if still not like. My thought is the floors. Taking up not damage anything else and assuming they are tiles not real marble maybe the cheapest and less intrusive item to change. Knowing there is a doable fix will give you the patience to try everything else first. Those other kitchen examples look beautiful, take heart it may all be ok.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

I would like to add one thing, the under cab lights hanging below the lip of the upper cabinets is not a great look, you may want to consider something more stream lined.

• Shannon_WI
    2 years ago

@husterd - it should be noted that those kitchen examples above that you mentioned that look beautiful, 3 out of the 4 of them have wood floors, and one of them doesn't show the floors.

• potter99
    2 years ago

Honestly wait and relax. You have none of the "bling" items installed yet to balance the mix regarding the countertop/ backsplash/floor debate. Right now the floor is a little bossy with the dark veining, but once the oven & microwave are inserted into the picture the glass elements will read black and help tone down the visual weight of the floor's dominant veins. As others have said, adding natural elements can soften what now seems like too much variation in the hard surfaces. Plus the first of your photos taken at night aren't fair to evaluate your vision- had I only seen the image taken across the peninsula to the blank space for the oven; I'd think nice; I wonder what finish has been chosen for the appliances? As long as it's not white I'm sure you'll be loving your new kitchen in no time. Breathe :-)

• felizlady
    2 years ago

The white of the counters and backsplash appears more blue-gray, the flooring is whiter, and the cabinets seem to be a creamier white. To take the focus off that, you need some color…… curtain panels for the window, a few colored canisters or accessories, a rug with some color in front of the sink and stove. Don’t go wild with color…even a solid rug in a slightly darker gray may work. I like art in a kitchen if your breakfast area has a wall to hang it on. The brass handles and knobs may clash a bit with the stainless appliances,, but you can offset that with touches of brass elsewhere: a curtain rod, a vase.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    2 years ago

It's not horrible - maybe it's just not what you expected so it's throwing you off? I don't see blue on my monitor. I just see a mix of white and almost ivory - probably one of the most difficult color combos in my opinion.

But I am also looking at an unfinished kitchen. The appliances aren't installed, there is no matt in front of the sink, no canisters on the counter.. These may make a difference, they may not.

I can't see anyone tearing out thousands of dollars of work and material, without trying to see if it works first.

Take a breath, step back, live with it for a few and see.

• User
    2 years ago

I think changing the hardware to brushed nickel would help tie the cool counters with the warm cabinets.. Don’t make any changes until you have styled the kitchen. I think it may be able to come together, maybe not as envisioned

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

First of all, ignore the mean comments and those who suggest ripping out ANY of your new kitchen. You have a mix of cool and warm, which is making the cool element (countertop) read “blue”. First, work on the color of your bulbs. Warmer would be better. Consider darker hardware (Oil rubbed bronze or black). A curtain, rug and canisters - like @felizlady suggested- will make the room seem warmer immediately. No more cool colors.

You are looking at a blank, unfinished room. If you’re overwhelmed the suggestion to get a designer with a strong background in lighting will help. Post some photos when the appliance arrive. One step at a time.

• acm
    2 years ago

I lay the blame at the feet of the current obsession with the word "creamy" -- everybody wants their cabinets a "creamy white," wihch means yellowish, which means that all the other finishes in their all-white kitchens will clash. This is a fairly common tragedy.

Sorry, OP. Hope you find a solution you can live with.

• PRO
    Metamorphosed
    2 years ago

I've had lots of clients come to me after making these types of choices that they aren't happy with. I think there's things you can do that will really help improve your kitchen..maybe not exactly how you had envisioned it, but will bring you closer to the end result you want.

I assume you're going with stainless appliances.

I recommend changing hardware to something on the darker side like black to help ground all the various shades of white. Potentially a brushed nickel would work too. After your appliances are in and the kitchen is styled, bring in some hardware samples to see what would work best.

Going as warm as you can with under-cab lighting will definitely help too.

Adding as much natural and warmer textures/materials to things like area rugs and window coverings will help too. Think bamboo blinds for the window, beige tones or jute for the area rugs/runners ( larger area rugs here would help minimize the floor thats visible), large wood cutting boards leaned against the backsplash, wood bowls and wicker baskets etc.

If you'd like to see your kitchen with different options/styles before you move ahead with making any further purchases/changes or spending more time working on it and are in Canada, we can easily show you many options with 3D renders of your kitchen.

• cheri127
    2 years ago

@tdotch I hope you come back and I'm sorry you had to endure some very harsh criticism while feeling so disappointed with your expensive counters and backsplash. On my monitor the counters read blue, as you say. I don't know if you can afford to fix it. If not, you'll have to find a work around. Keep in mind that once you have stuff on the counters and a runner or area rug and appliances, the tone differences won't be so glaring. I do agree with the suggestion to cool down your hardware. Probably the least expensive solution too.

• flopsycat1
    2 years ago

Hi, @tdotch! I hope you can take away some of the simpler and more reasonable suggestions from this site, and come up with a kitchen that you love. Good luck with your project!

• HU-326560860
    2 years ago

Once you personalize your beautiful kitchen, you will love it. A rug or runner, favorite pottery etc, you got this!

• Antonella Pirone
    2 years ago

I would try to add warmer lights <3000K

• jennsbabysky
    2 years ago

With the current pictures, we're only seeing the contrast between the floor, cabinets, and the quartz. I think the suggestion of making the bulbs warmer would make a major difference. Also, I think pulling the brown out of the floor and the counter will help warm up the space. I didn't notice the warmer colors in the floor during my first glance, but I did when I looked a second time. Right now, there are no accessories or anything tying these elements together, but I think warmer accessories which repeat the brown in the floor and the counter will be stunning! It is a really pretty space and just needs a bit of push to pull it together.

• jiddie
    2 years ago

Your kitchen will be beautiful after you accessorize it. I had the same problem that I posted on here a while back. I have plain white quartz counters and what I thought were white cabinets now look creamy white even yellow sometimes. I learned to live with it and added lots of warmth. My home is older with a small kitchen. It can work

• herbflavor
    2 years ago

lets guess how many torrid debates /arguements ensue between adults when their kitchen or other big household projects commence, let alone get to the finish line. A brash comment off a site doesnt seem that serious. Sifting through everything seems like part of the exercise if one posts. there have been many suggestions/real life experiences/ pictures re this kitchen. I bet the OP is quite busy doing things.

• caramiao3
    2 years ago

Lighting makes all the difference. I just had quartz countertop installed and then the same quartz for the backsplash. We had to use two jumbo slabs . At times the backsplash looks like a different tone than the counters and other times of the day it looks the same. Sometimes the veins look gray and other times it looks a little blue. My cabinets are white with a gray island. I am having stainless steel appliances installed and that I think that and maybe floating shelves in a wood tone will pull it all together so regardless of the lighting it wont look like different colors.

• matteo94
    2 years ago

Hi Tdotch-

I am renovating my kitchen with very similar combo of warmish white cabinets and greyish countertops and am concerned about the warm/cool issue also. Can you share with me what color your cabinets are? Its so hard to tell from the photos. Are they considered a true cream?

Please let me know if you can. I know how hard all these decisions are!

• territheresa
    2 years ago

It looks blue-tiful to me!

• M Miller
    2 years ago

I would add to @herbflavor’s insightful comment that many times the OP never returns. Many times. Even when every comment to their post is helpful and encouraging. Even when people spend a lot of time on the OP‘s layout, or write lengthy advice, or provide photos and links. I’d go so far as to say that these days the majority of people who start a thread here will ghost it. I do not agree with the comments here that say people were mean and the OP must be in tears. She asked for opinions. It’s worse to be cheerleaders and say everything looks great when it doesn’t. There is no way anyone can know whether the OP has just ghosted this thread like so many others have, or whether she didnt like the feedback she got and didn’t return.

• Amy10N
    2 years ago

@jiddie I remember your previous thread, boy, your pics look gorgeous, so happy for you.

• remodeling1840
    2 years ago

Hooray! You can work this out!

• jiddie
    2 years ago

Thank you Amy10N!
    It’s been a work in
    Progress.

• shirlpp
    2 years ago

Notice that comments have been deleted.

• tdotch
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes i did notice some deleted their comments and that’s ok. I’m focusing on those helpful suggestions that were provided. Thank you again.

• Olychick
    2 years ago

Please post updated pics so we can follow along! It's going to be gorgeous.

• Julie B.
    2 years ago

This link discusses what you have going and offers an easy and attractive solution.

https://mariakillam.com/whiteandcream/

• shirlpp
    2 years ago

@tdotch - Houzz deleted the comments - however, maybe not all. My comment was deleted and I did not do it. Just something that I noticed. Good for you for concentrating on the helpful comments.

• decordummy_gw
    2 years ago

I deleted my own comments because they were in response to comments that have been deleted (maybe by Houzz?).

@tdotch You have a beautiful start and we can't wait to see the reveal!

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Glad the change in bulbs made a difference. Believe me, when you have your “stuff” in there, it will look great. I like the suggestion to pull some of the brown from your floor, so I was thinking some copper canisters or wood cutting boards. How does it look with the appliances?

• Barbara Bush
    last year

Many responses in here, but I truly believe it is your backsplash. You have a blue backsplash and I suspect your countertop has a polished finish. It is reflecting the backsplash. I would be willing to bet if you changed your backsplash to a brown color, you're countertop would look more brownish/tan.

• felizlady
    last year

The counter color doesn’t match the flooring or the sink. Did you bring home a sample of the counter material to see it in your space? Now that it’s installed, I suggest you redirect your eyes with some color (not necessarily bright) in accessories: canisters, kitchen towels, a small rug in front of the sink, a curtain (or valance or roll-up shade) in the window. Look at soft blue accessories. Lighting helps, but you won’t have the under-cabinet lights ON all the time.