Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pratt19

Stacking washer/dryer?

Mary
2 years ago

I have a stacked washer/dryer. My washer died and getting a new one. Repairman said do not stack the washer dryer - too difficult to service. I have a very small laundry room 64” x 64”. See drawing. If w/d are not stacked I cannot open the door!
So questions - do I stack the w/d? Is there a door solution (swinging door - switch the hinges to the other side)? I don’t think I have enough space for a pocket door.

Comments (26)

• Mary
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Two additional photos. The door trifecta / laundry on left, garage straight ahead, bath on right.

• Sammie J
    2 years ago

If the specs with your washer/dryer say they can be stacked, then the servicing issue is more the repair person's issue - it seems like he/she might need some help with moving/lifting. Is there someone at your house that can offer to help?

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

How often do you actually close that door? That’s a ”closed” hallway & seems no matter what rooms are at opposite of garage entry door there isn’t a direct view into laundry from other rooms. Seems, choices are to remove laundry door completely or remove & replace with either folding, bi-folding or sliding barn door - each with it’s own set of install & use challenges. Inside laundry reconfiguation of course would be needed for storage. Is there room on 26 1/2” wall to hold that storage cabinet or would you need above w/d storage? With a side by side w/d you can create a work surface on top for folding & also might be able to mount a fold down rod for hanging on opposite wall if storage cabinet not there. So back to original question - do you close laundry room door very often & for what reason? Can you live without a door?

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

Well, I hadn’t thought about what @Kendrah said but of course, she’s correct.

• dadoes
    2 years ago

Stacked sets are an impediment to service access, but of course there are situations in which no other choice is workable. Servicers must be advised ahead that a stacked set is involved so they're prepared to handle the situation on arrival, or decline the job if they are unable to deal with it ... and then the homeowner finds another servicer who will take the job. Service charges may be higher but that's just part of the situation.

• Mary
    Original Author
    2 years ago

All good comments. Especially true that it is the service person’s issue. And I’m not needing service often.
    I need the door as this area opens onto the family room. It’s just a really bad Kaufman & Broad design from the 80’s.
    I think the set up I have now is truly the best solution and I’m going to stick with it.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    2 years ago

Sometimes, stacked is all you can do (my last 2 homes have had a laundry closet, not a laundry room), and I'm thankful that option is available. I would not redesign anything based on the possibility of needing a repair once every decade or less.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

We are in the process of ripping out and redoing 2 bathrooms and a laundry room and have decided to achieve 2 better bathrooms we are going to do a stacking W/D and honestly when repairs might need to be done we will bite the bullet then. Our Bosch W/D are 15 yrs old we have never had a service call so IMO the next ones will be Bosch and if they last as long we will be 90 yrs old and it probably will not be our issue. I do agree always best to inform the repair people before hand so they are prepared if you have some info to pass on. Not sure how your space opens into the family room.

• mojavemaria
    2 years ago

Would a bifold door work?

• Kendrah
    2 years ago

Patricia - That's one of the best endorsements for bosch w/d I've ever heard. Thanks for sharing it.

• Olychick
    2 years ago

I can't tell if it could work, but another option would be to modify that cabinet so that it could be pulled out of the space when service is needed. I have a house built in 1983. The laundry room is only 6ft wide and the back door opens into that 6ft. The door cannot be moved without moving the electrical panel and redoing the plumbing coming into the house, rebuilding the decks and porch roofs, so that is not an option. The older machines could fit between the door frame and wall, but not any of the newer ones, so I had to go stacked, so both machines could be placed in the footprint for the dryer, which was farther from the wall with the door.
    I had a smaller stacked unit that I babied for 16 years, then had to replace. The smaller machines were a pain because I have king size beds and couldn't wash any comforters in them, so had to take them to the laundromat -yuck! I had to replace the machines during the pandemic shutdown when few machines were available, so had to settle for a huge electrolux set. I can walk past it in the room, but it's not ideal. However, there was no built in cabinet next to where I stacked the old (and new) unit so I installed a hutch that I found on CL to hold supplies. Open shelves on top and they come off in one unit. The bottom has doors. When my old machines have needed servicing, I just move the cabinet out of the room. If there is any way to add rollers or feet to your cabinet, that might solve your issue if service people cannot access your machines and you cannot move them out to help.

I looked at Meile and Bosch machines but neither has factory authorized repair people who service my area, so be sure if buying those machines that there is service available where you live. And I am not in a podunk town!

Mary thanked Olychick
  • Mary
    Original Author
    2 years ago

That’s actually a really good idea - to use a cabinet that is ”furniture” and can be moved when needed

I saw that they now sell front load washer/dryers in a single “tower” style unit They look nice but must be difficult to move

• Olychick
    2 years ago

Maybe they have something new, but a few years ago the one piece units were only big enough to wash doll clothes, lol.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    2 years ago

"Maybe they have something new,"

They're front load washtowers, which might make a difference, and the washing machine capacity is 4.5 ft3 - not quite as big as their standard 27" washers (5.2 ft3), but definitely not small.

• dadoes
    2 years ago

Stackable frontload washer/dryer pairs aren't anything new. They go back to the 1950s (Westinghouse Space-Mates). Compact unitary stacked (with a topload washer) dates to the late 1960s (Frigidaire Skinny Mini).

• Kate
    2 years ago

You can build a shelf or a box around the washer that way it can be pulled out independently from the dryer.

Mary thanked Kate
  • territheresa
    2 years ago

​We did a barn door. Maybe that would work. As long as you have enough wall space for the hardware so the door slides open enough to can get you in and out with a laundry basket.

• Mary
    Original Author
    2 years ago

True the stacked units are not new. But they are full sized machines. Not the compact versions of the past.

• mle0782
    2 years ago

If you are going to revise your laundry room, I would seriously consider re-working cabinet next to the units so that you can build something like this that a dryer can rest on which will make servicing much easier. I have a small laundry room with stacked units that is highly functional but servicing the units is difficult. I really wish I had thought of this option when we built our laundry room.

• kelleg69
    2 years ago

I am reading through this with interest. I was thinking of getting LG Washtower, but just had a repairman tell my husband that working on them is very difficult. Now I am thinking we may want to get separate W/D that can be stacked, but I think it would be hard to work on the top machine. How does a shelf help? He would still need to pull the top one down, right? To work on it? I like the idea of stackables b/c I will get another big pantry-style cabinet for storage if I go this route. Also FWIW, my sister-in-law loves her Washtower. So, I am still kind of consdering it.

• dadoes
    2 years ago

The shelf helps by allowing the washer to be pulled out for service without dismounting the dryer from atop it.

• gardener123
    2 years ago

What material would you use to build a shelf like this?

• Kate
    2 years ago

Build a shelf for the dryer so the washer can be pulled out independently, then stack.

• gardener123
    2 years ago

It looks like it bears a lot of weight.

• stellarceline
    2 years ago

Can you switch the door to open outward like a closet, or convert to a sliding barn door, and put them along the back wall?