Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cynthia_drury34

Can I just put a wardrobe in a reach in closet ?

Cynthia Drury
2 years ago

We have a vacation condo that we live in 3 months a year and rent it by the week for the rest of the year. The mirrored slider door was broken. Instead of replacing it I am thinking of buying a wardrobe like the one in the picture below and putting that in the closet. the opening is 58 by 80 i would be removing the sliders and track completely to its open. I'll have the wardrobe in there and then a little space next to it that could be used to store suitcases but I'm not sure how it would look and wanted some opinions thanks in advance Cynthia

Comments (16)

• cat_ky
    2 years ago

I would repair or replace the slider door.

Cynthia Drury thanked cat_ky
  • Cynthia Drury
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The mirror is broken (again) it can't be repaired. I cant get an exact match. The option are remove them and either 2 new non mirrored sliders or my wardrobe idea or?

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    2 years ago

So 11” for suitcases? I think that‘s too narrow. Just replace with non-mirrored doors.

Cynthia Drury thanked Anna (6B/7A in MD)
  • Cynthia Drury
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The opening is 60( oops) the closet is quite a bit bigger and deeper then the wardrobe. Ikea has 46 " version too 14 15 inches to get them in and 18 " to store them. Well maybe it's a bad idea

• maddielee
    2 years ago

A wardrobe will give you and renters a smaller area to use for their things. And having suitcases or other things in site during my stay would be a negative. Replacing the doors would be my choice.

Cynthia Drury thanked maddielee
  • Marsha Lorentzen
    2 years ago

I would replace the doors. Personally, I would find your suggested "fix" very slipshod if I were renting a vacation home.

• Cynthia Drury
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Well that's no good since it's the more expensive option.

• Cynthia Drury
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Before everyone totally hates on my idea check this out . I think it looks really good . Picture is below. I would have an odd space though. https://www.thehappyhousie.com/replacing-our-reach-in-closet-with-an-ikea-pax-closet-system/

• Cynthia Drury
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• L C
    2 years ago

My bedroom reach in closet is about 70” w x 24” d. with double doors and we built Ikea Pax interior system inside it. I used 2 of 50cm x 35cm frames and 1 of 75cm x 35cm frame, and installed their drawers, shelves, pant hanger and closet rods. Though the frame depth I used (35cm) is shallow it still works well because I’m still able to open all the drawers. Ikea showroom shows the 35cm depth closet with the clothing facing outwards on the rod, but because my actual closet depth is 24” i can still hang the clothing sideways. When we priced out other lines like Closet Maid, Elfa,etc, is was much more expensive, this was a great solution, I’ll be doing the same thing for my husbands closet.

Cynthia Drury thanked L C
  • Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    2 years ago

So you're saying that getting new doors, that are not mirrored, would be more than the wardrobe?

Of course that example looks good, the doors are flush with the wall and look built-in. Based on your description of your proposed idea it would not have the same effect; to be frank, it would look like you stuffed a wardrobe in a closet. It's certainly not impossible but some effort will need to be made to make it look good. That will take $$. And once you consider the cost of paying someone to make it look correct, you might as well just have bought new doors and saved yourself the hassle.

And what the above poster said about the floor is something to consider--the damage to the floor from track removal and whether there is even an acceptable surface under the track.

I don't think anyone is necessarily "hating" on the idea but the aesthetics of the plan, as described, would likely be sub-par.

• Cynthia Drury
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Anna no the doors are less then the wardrobe. I was referring to my idea as being not good. The last thing I want to do is spend more money and have it look cheaper. The project above was a DIY . trim is easy and not structural so no worries. The floor is tiled so no worries there either. Doors I think I will go with a couple of 2 panel doors that look coastal.

• Cynthia Drury
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I love how it looks, I'm steering clear of glass and mirrors though

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

I think if you live it do it but it would be a no go for me. BTW I hate mirrored doors in bedrooms so not big deal. Have you looked at the Pax doors or even Pax system for that space

Cynthia Drury thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Cynthia Drury
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Patricia I think they look dated but wouldn't bother with them right now if they weren't broken. Pax is out of stock at ikea also I finally I realized being the genius that I am that the doors would open into the room there's not enough room so by pass doors it is.