Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_marie21

accent wall in foyer?

lisamarie
2 years ago

I was thinking of doing an accent wall in foyer. Our walls are all white. The wall on the stairs. I was thinking some stone or white washed brick???

Comments (34)

• PRO
    Fairway Style Living
    2 years ago

Hi, Lisa--

I have to agree with the suggestion here that a wall application like you describe isn't where I'd start out, since your wall is tall and doesn't terminate into four easy corners.

I might consider, if of interest instead, exploring opening up the treadway of the stairs so that each stair has a finished endcap under the handrail and balusters farthest from the wall (for examples of this, look at the first and third of the photos embedded above).

It's a classic look that elevates your entryway, and one that a talented stair millwork group can handle quickly. It would also offer you the opportunity to remove the wall-to-wall carpet on the stairs, if something that's not on your "I love it and I want to live with it forever" list, and put in either end-treads, or full treads with a runner over (see also all three images above).

Hope this helps as you start to explore a few new ideas for upgrading your space; cheers!

lisamarie thanked Fairway Style Living
  • tdemonti
    2 years ago

Wallpaper is much easier to clean or replace than stone or brick.

• kandrewspa
    2 years ago

This isn't the right wall for an accent treatment like you're describing. I think you just need a small console with art or a mirror over it. It looks like it's your wedding picture hanging there now. While it's a beautiful picture, IMO this is not the right place for it. Your bedroom or family room would be more suitable.

Not a bad idea to change the carpeting on the stairs either, but that will be surprisingly expensive.

• PRO
    lisamarie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ya werent changing any flooring tight now even though we need it we are moving the picture somewhere else. we are getting new table and decor for in foyer

• twocats
    2 years ago

A small console, mirror and small lamp if you have an outlet in that corner to plug it in. Maybe add a decorative bowl for keys and or mail. Sorry to be so blunt but the ceiling “boob’ light fixture has to go! You can find modern/contemporary ceiling lights at very affordable prices.

lisamarie thanked twocats
  • Dennis Peterson
    2 years ago

When adding masonry, fake or otherwise, it should be a material already used inside or outside a house for continuity. Also, it should only be used where a bearing wall or post would be normally located. A hefty masonry element needs to at least appear functional and not just stuck somewhere without having the appearance of purpose and not just decorative. This is a pet peeve of mine that I see often with faux masonry features both interior and exterior. So, I agree with other posts answering an emphatic, “ NO”, to doing this on that wall.

• Deb K
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

A brick or stone wall in a contemporary traditional home such as yours, would look out of place, and would cheapen your home. I would focus on the stairs, and remove the builder basic carpeting, replace it with wooden treads, and install a simple runner. i would also repaint the walls in a warmer color (not gray, since it has been over-used in recent years and is on the way out.) I would also ditch the mirror and get something more clean-lined and pair it with an entry way furniture piece that would anchor the space, and provide a place for mail or keys. If youre not much of a designer, I would invest in one rather than wasting money. It could be a very lovely space.

• aniluap2
    2 years ago

A cheap alternative would be to paint the wall in an accent color and hang some artwork, or a collection of black and white family photos on the wall going up the stairs. It is easy to print your pictures in black and white and put them all on black frames. IKEA sells cheap ones.

• aliciaflorrick
    2 years ago

I have a similar entry and stairs. We priced out the cost of replacing stair carpet with hardwood stairs, and it was ridiculously high and not worth it for our home. We added a lovely low chest, (family heirloom), styled it with a few pieces we love and that have meaning for us, added original artwork and changed our light fixtures. The result was perfect and well within our budget and energy level.

• Jane Imber
    2 years ago

I would definitely go with an accent paint color depending on the colors you have in the next room. It looks like you have space for a round table, maybe an antique walnut, with a vase of flowers on top. Or a sculpture that fits your taste. You can add a few things like stacks of books with bowls on top to catch keys, mail. Maybe get a chandelier centered over the table that highlights the height of your entry.

• Lisa Fabus
    2 years ago

Thank you so much! I love all your ideas! So my husband wants to keep white walls but we definitely want to replace the chandelier along with the one in the dining room. I want a round table I think would be best with a vase and big fake plant/ flowers

• ruthieq
    2 years ago

I would ditch the fake flowers. the use of real flowers or low light live plant such as a Pohtos would add life to that corner. YES! get rid of the carpet on the stairs. Have you thought of maybe some wallpaper.? Houzz has a really nice selection, something light and airy would be nice.

• rancherogrl
    2 years ago

I'd say a big "no" to accent walls, anywhere. Ugh!

• PRO
    Metamorphosed
    2 years ago

Something like this may be a nice option to consider for a quick refresh?

• Lisa Fabus
    2 years ago

Wow! What app did you use to do that!?

• kculbers
    2 years ago

Leave the walls white!!

• User
    2 years ago

So I would think about leaving your wedding photo and hanging an artwork with an arch in it at the top of the stairs

The Arch, Canvas Print · More Info

and then in the actual arched window opening on the 2d floor hall I would hang this

Antique Copper Finish Metal Sun Face Wall Hanging With Ceramic Bead Accents · More Info

And then I would get an inexpensive dresser and put peel-and-stick wallpaper to go under the wedding photo

Maybe this peel and stick wallpaper

Birds Greige Peel and Stick Wallpaper, 20.5"x198" · More Info

And bigger art on the wall with the thermostat

Jean-Baptiste-Camille Corot Morning, Dance of the Nymphs Wall Decal · More Info

Church in Cassone (Landscape with Cypress) · More Info

• Timi M
    2 years ago

The wall is has an irregular shape that I would not want to draw attention to and would, therefore, keep it white. Add a small console or chest with a large mirror or piece of artwork above, as many have already mentioned.

• carrie rogers
    2 years ago

Hi

It sounds like your looking for some texture and depth

Personally I would paint the wall black and hang a massive mirror

I would add a black and white wallpaper to the wall with the door

Hope this helps you just have some fun

lisamarie thanked carrie rogers
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

I would use unique half round wall mounted piece like this, use black and white to create entry drama and I like the simple accessories and I changed art on side wall to thin black frame, wide white mat art. Simple but elegant too. I also changed the ceiling light in hallway to further compliment the entry pieces. If you have a junction box in ceiling of this space a nice hanging fixture would be great.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Accent walls should be limited to areas with no other architectural interest. I do make exceptions for fireplace walls if the FP is the only architectural feature there is on the wall. You already have the busy stairs, arches, doors, and a pony wall. You don't need an accent wall. Generally, the foyer should introduce you and your style, as well as hinting at what one can expect to find in the adjacent rooms. I really don't see foyers as detached from the rest of the home. If you are doing an accent wall in one of the adjacent rooms, you can bring that color into the foyer with some of the decor items (picture matting, candles and such.)

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

I don’t think you have room for a round table in this space unless a small one. But you can test by putting a circle of paper on floor to see what would work. More ideas.

• Jennifer Hogan
    2 years ago

What I am seeing is that you have beige carpeting, flooring and a lighter beige sofa with white walls and white sheers over the family room window. You may be feeling like you are drowning in a sea of neutral.

Walls are really not the main attraction, they are generally just big flat surfaces. You want to draw attention to the beautiful things in your home, so a big, flat, white or neutral background in the main living space is ideal.

Add color through area rugs, art and décor, upholstered furniture, window coverings . . .

Then add those colors as rich wall color in the powder room, a laundry room or bathroom. Use muted shades on bedroom or office walls.

Think about your favorite colors and how you can add them to your home bringing them through your home from one room to the next.

• simplynatural
    2 years ago

Here's an edited photo with a few very simple additions, some inspired by your wedding photo (which looks perhaps Europe?): plants cascading from balconies, large canvases referencing that region hung high to take advantage of your soaring ceilings (greatbigcanvas.com has many choices; I see one or more on the tall wall by the stairs as well), a simple console table with a pull-out ottoman beneath for removing shoes, arched mirror above to echo the arches in your home and wedding photo. (I moved the photo where the small picture is now.)

I see little indication of your preferred style. I've used somewhat traditional items because I see traditional architectural elements (paneled doors, turned newel and balusters), but please mentally replace with items you would like!

• Lisa Fabus
    2 years ago

Love this! Ty!!!

• Timi M
    2 years ago

Simplynatural - perfection!

• Tracey Jones
    2 years ago

I need help to decorate a rental I’m working with paneling that I can’t paint in the dining room area any suggestions

• twocats
    2 years ago

@Tracey Jones if you need help with decorating, please post separately with more details and some pictures.

• Tracey Jones
    2 years ago

@ twocats Im going to send what I did but not really liking it my space looks boring

• Tracey Jones
    2 years ago

What do you think

• twocats
    2 years ago

@Tracy Jones, if you want help with this, you really have to have a separate post! That way you will have your own thread, and you might be surprised how many people will try to help. This post is about someone’s else foyer, it would be hard for everybody to help and follow a post which has nothing to do with your dining area :)).

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

You don't need an accent paint color, you need a colorful 'vignette' arranged when you walk in to set the tone. Be dramatic.

I have assembled a colorful canvas for the wall that coordinates with an entry chair. Behind that, I have placed a unique faux tree that is available on Amazon for purchase along with a unique drum table that allows someone to rest an item.

Some wall decor placed to take advantage of the height of the foyer helps to set the tone. I have used the teal color for additional accents.

• Lisa Fabus
    2 years ago

Thank you!! Beautiful ideas!!!