Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sautesmom

I have never spent this much on a plant...

BUT I have wanted this Rose for years and it's always out of stock.
I could not believe this local nursery had them in!! I would have spent $50 ordering it from David Austen's website, sooo I couldn't resist.
I know Lady Emma doesn't like our local heat so I'm putting her in a pot so I can move her around depending on temperature.
I hope she smells as delicious as they say!!
Carla in Sac

Comments (34)

• rifis (zone 6b-7a NJ)
    2 years ago

Beautiful packaging and full color plant tag.

• librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    2 years ago

I hoe you love Lady Emma. 🙂 My neighbor has two gorgeous bushes and I planted a bare root last year. My plant was small (DA sent a wimpy bareroot of it) but it gave me beautiful, delicious smelling blooms. I'm looking forward to it establishing itself.

• sautesmom Sacramento
    Original Author
    2 years ago

OH
    How I hope mine looks like yours!
    Congratulations!
    Carla

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    2 years ago

Eeekk! I am so surprised at the Price of all plants , roses included.

I hope she is a total babe for you.

I have been looking at lilies and sometimes they dont even come up and they are sooo spendy this year.

I was looking at J&Ps new offerings and their prices are way up.

Honestly, if you found your unicorn rose it is totally worth any price.

• sautesmom Sacramento
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It was just that Nursery and just David Austins there.
    Their other roses are $40, which still sticker shocked me out of buying them.
    I also bought a replacement Angel Face (mine died) at the lower priced Nursery for $22.50, and Lowes was $12.95.
    Again I still can't believe I spent that much but...
    :)
    Carla

• DDinSB (Z10b Coastal CA)
    2 years ago

Wow. I just paid $22.00 plus tax, but minus my 15% discount for being a SB Botanic Garden member for a bare root David Austin, that also came with the full color tag. Does the potting soil have gold nuggets in it??

Still -- I've paid $50 for a one-gallon rose from Heirloom, so ... I guess when we see the rose we want, we have to have it...

I hope it thrives for you and blooms her silly head off!

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

I just checked Edwards rose list to see if Bathsheba was sold out yet (no), but they've taken down Helen's photo of this rose that was being used without her permission (I think it was sold to Edwards in a package). Anyway, the five gallon Austins are $41, and all their other roses were $33-39. This is higher than last year, but still very reasonable for such large plants. They are kept in a special greenhouse for the customer when purchased because it's way too soon to plant here. When I've picked up my roses in the past in the spring, they are usually blooming. Voila! Instant rose garden. Diane

• susan9santabarbara
    2 years ago

As I often say, a difference of $20-$30 for a rose that you REALLY want and will last in your garden for (say) 5-25 years is nothing in the overall scheme of things. It's going out to lunch once.

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Susan, I've told myself that many a time about spending money on items that last versus lunch or a movie. Diane

• summercloud -- NC zone 7b
    2 years ago

I just spent $48 on David Austen's 'Darcel Bussell' at my local rose nursery--Witherspoon--and had a bit of sticker shock! They're only selling them potted in April. I haven't even grown DAs before and I have no idea if they'll do well in my no-spray garden. if they don't it's an expensive mistake!

Although I have also killed Japanese maples and that's an entirely different price range. Talk about regretting your choices to not water...

• Aaron Rosarian Zone 5b
    2 years ago

I've spent ungodly amounts on roses. My Rose Marie and Evelyn were quite expensive. I think Perdita was my priciest. You like what you like!

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

So true! Roses are getting more and more expensive!! I've paid a lot on some roses too...$50 not including shipping. I'm sure you'll love your LEH!! :) :)

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Everything is getting more and more expensive. We can't just single out roses. Packets of seeds are outrageous, for that matter. Diane

• Soozie Q, zone 10b
    2 years ago

Just about every other day I find myself impulsively reaching for my credit card to buy this or that rose. Then I remind myself that not only did I buy 8 this month at local nurseries, but I have 5 more on order coming soon. What a coincidence that my latest want is LEH! But I calmed myself down by saying I'll get her after I get Well Being. Heirloom is out of stock & I really don't want to buy from them, but...yeah the heart wants what the heart wants.

If I see LEH at a nursery I will probably buy it. But none of the places I've visited so far carry DA roses anymore. Lucky me! 😅

• Soozie Q, zone 10b
    2 years ago

Forgot to say, Carla your rose is totally worth it. To justify a bigger than normal purchase, I just forego coffee out, & make my own daily for a month. Please post pics once LEH is blooming!

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

This might help you feel better. i was at a local nursery and saw this cute coral bark Japanese maple in a seven gallon pot. At least you don’t collect Japanese maples.

ive always admired LEH. I hope it does well for you.

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Nose, but you still got the maple? Ha. Diane

• sautesmom Sacramento
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yikes Nose!!
    :)
    I have gone through many collecting phases, and I was collecting Japanese Maples, but they freely reseed around here, so I was working on grafting my own choices onto baby seedlings.
    I ended up selling my bigger ones on Craigslist (to make room for my fruit tree collection phase, haha!)
    Carla

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

:) :)

• MasLovesRoses_z8a GA
    2 years ago

Lady Emma is in my wish list. Can’t wait to see pictures of this rose. 💕

• Nick 10bSW17
    2 years ago

She has an amazing fragrance, I hope she works out for you Carla!

• ann beck 8a ruralish WA
    2 years ago

I was looking at price lists for semi-local nurseries this year and $40 a rose seems typical. I thought the DA bareroots at $32 was bad!

My LEH smells amazing, but she likes the UK, so I think she will be great.

noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque) There is an ebay japanese maple seller out of OR (acer something) that has small, but well grown and grafted JM. Her prices aren't bad and she offers them several times a year including really late fall this year...perfect time for you.

• noseometer...(7A, SZ10, Albuquerque)
    2 years ago

Thanks Ann, I’ll check it out!

• sautesmom Sacramento
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Update:
    Her first bloom, really pretty!
    Unfortunately I really don't like the smell very much, the main reason I bought her.
    I hope it improves with age!
    Carla in Sac

2 years ago

What a glorious bloom! What does she smell like to you? Mine has a nice fruity fragrance. It was a very small plant last year (it's first) and didn't have any blooms quite as petal packed as yours.

• sautesmom Sacramento
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi Librarian
    The smell is strong Rose Perfume, which I really don't like.
     No fruit at all, and I love fruity roses which is why I wanted it.
    :(
    Carla

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    2 years ago

That’s interesting Carla, mine always smelled very much like grapefruit and I thought it was wonderful…perhaps yours will too in time Surprisingly LEH despite its delicate look also held up quite well in heat, much better than most other Austins (and put to shame her orange sisters Pat Austin and Lady of Shallot ).

• a1an
    2 years ago

Annuals I spend too much yearly and that I do find expensive.....but I do love the colorways and filling up of beds every year.

For the cost of shrubs and stuff, I really don't find it expensive @ all. The way I look at it - someone has nurtured it, fed it, held a space for it, watered it for at least 3 years. Divide the math in it - and or that how I justify my hobbies ;-)

2 years ago

I hope the fragrance changes for you, Carla. The strong fruity smell of mine is unique and really enjoyable ( and my neighbor's....hers is the one that got me to buy one for myself...such a nice fragrance).

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    2 years ago

Sautersmom, I hope the fragrance improves for you hecause that is one stunning rose. So full and the color is gorgeous !

• PRO
    Rustique Modern Vintage - Distressed Co.
    last year

I read somewhere that your soil composition can alter the smell your rose produces too. (I cannot confirm if that's true, currently can't remember the website it was on either). My Bathsheba was quite scented last year. (First year of having it, started as a skimpy two branch plant DA sent). I think last year I purchased 9 DA roses, got 2 as gifts. This year I bought 4 Angle Face Floribunda bare roots, 1 America & 1 Zephirine from Menards 🤞🏻.

• rosecanadian
    last year

Wow...LEH is gorgeous!