Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rschlem

Painting Nice oak molding white?

rschlem
10 years ago
I am young and just purchased my first home and want it to look more modern. The house came with all white wood doors and golden oak molding. Am i crazy to want to paint the molding white?

Comments (20)

• kt20
    10 years ago
    I love the idea of more unity. Barnhart is 100% right to note that you could change the doors, but if you think it would be too dark/ not your thing, then I would suggest definitely door surrounds in a soft white white, then have a look at the skirting trim. It may be that a white skirting just creates a prominent stripe (which you don't need)..... and you have beautiful wood elements. As a quick visual, run some light coloured masking tape on the trim and use a small sponge brush and sample pot to check. If you don't like it, just lift off the masking tape.
    If you do want to stay white on the doors, have a look at the tone. I think a shade of white with a fraction more "old" (hint of earth/sun/parchment) might be more successful than a stark white - it would lean into the stunning wall color and your carpet better .
  • Amy Phelps
    10 years ago
    Defnitely paint white.
  • shannajensen
    10 years ago
    I also vote on white. Dove White by Benjamin Moore is my favorite trim color.
  • PRO
    Terracegallery
    10 years ago
    White would look cleaner and neater and a lot more contemporary...go for it!
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Yes, paint, paint, paint it.
  • charliebeth
    10 years ago
    White is right. Let it be white!
  • PRO
    Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
    10 years ago
    I agree with all that the wood color needs to go. These moldings do not look particularly fine so I would paint all the wood molding including baseboards etc the same color as the wall for the most modern look. The doors should be uniform throughout the house.
  • Marilyn Wilkie
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    No. Change out the doors and lighten up the wall color. Oh, and paint that cold air return as well. Right now everyone is screaming white, white, white, gray, gray, gray...but popular styles change quite fast and someone in the future may hate that that trim got painted.
  • rschlem
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks for all the input!
  • rnbee
    9 years ago
    What is that paint colour?
  • PRO
    Circle Goods Reclaimed
    9 years ago
    Paint is the absolute hardest thing to change, I would consider painting the doors as they are already painted and not real wood. The stain color actually looks really nice with the wall color.
  • PRO
    Sargent Pillsbury Designs LLC
    9 years ago
    The whites have it and I agree with them. If at all possible paint the vent grille to match the wall color. I will never understand why this isn't ALWAYS done. It is true that "trends" change but golden oak will never feel modern and if that is what you want in your first home to feel like then make this relatively easy change. You might paint the vanity in the bathroom white while your at it.
  • PRO
    Circle Goods Reclaimed
    9 years ago
    Not golden oak, this is a really nice deep set color that is classy. If you look at every neighborhood home built in the last five years as cheap and quickly as possible they always have white everything. It is taking away from the character in homes. Also, oak is not meant to be painted the grain looks bad with paint because of the deep grain in oak.
  • okmrazor
    9 years ago
    Circle Goods knows. Oak has an open grain that is noticeable when you paint it.
  • rnbee
    9 years ago
    What is the paint colour of the walls?
  • marywashington
    9 years ago
    Congrats on your new home. Good idea to paint the oak molding. My house had oak molding and we painted it and it looks great
  • kathleenstanley
    9 years ago
    Our ENTIRE home has beautiful light oak molding and cabinets. Eventually we'd like to get a hardwood floor and change the kitchen around, maybe paint or dark stain the cabinets? paint doors white? Even the beams are like this. Should I paint this woodwork white or am I crazy? HELP
  • kathleenstanley
    9 years ago
    oops sorry, I meant to make a new thread
  • loras19744
    7 years ago

Please tell the paint color of the walls. I too have oak.......trying to decide to paint wood work or find paints that work with all the oak in the house...if that is possible.