Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindsay_ke

What neutral paint color will be “on trend,” but last a long time?

Lindsay K
2 years ago

I have a living and entry room with 10 foot ceilings that I’m going to need to pay someone to paint for me. I’ve never hired someone to paint as I find it cost prohibitive, but the high ceilings and crown molding are too intimidating for me to do it myself. I’m looking at Shoji White by SW or Swiss Coffee by BM. Do you think these colors will last a long time…they won’t end up looking dated in 5 years? Will these be easy colors to decorate with? I know we’re supposed to paint what we like, but I honestly don’t have a strong preference in this case and would just like to paint something in these rooms that will stay neutral and not look dated for as long as possible.

Comments (11)

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

It would be helpful to see if those colors work with the other permanent finishes in your space like the flooring, the staircase, the windows, trim etc.

Lindsay K thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Lindsay K
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@BeverlyFLADeziner these are my floors, and these are my off-white shutters. The shutters are almost cream, and the trim is cream too! I will have to paint the trim. The floor has an almost pink look to it sometimes. I have greige couches, and a mix of furniture….mostly white, oak, and some darker wood too.

• Lindsay K
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This is the trim color. I painted the walls of this bathroom White Flour, but left the trim and the cabinets. I cannot find the exact color on the trim, but as you can see it is very not white!

• Nina Dee
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

both these paint colours have warmer undertones so you have to be cautious if you’re using alot of white furniture to decorate with or if your trim is a cooler white paint because your walls will look more yellow as these paint colours have warmer undertones. (speaking from experience as i made the mistake of going with a warmer undertone white for my trim (cloud white by BM) with cooler undertoned paint on my walls (horizon BM). the walls look gorgeous and classic however my trim looks very yellow upgainst it because of the warmer white. so just take into consideration if you will be using alot of cooler and brighter white accents.

Lindsay K thanked Nina Dee
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

Here are classic wall and trim combinations.

Lindsay K thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Lindsay K
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Nina Dee, yes, I’m worried about my white furniture! I can’t take a pic right now, because it’s a mess and getting kids ready, but I have a true white end table and tv stand. My last house was Balboa Mist and the white furniture looked great :/ I can paint the end table a different color if it doesn’t look good though! It’s just painted white with milk paint.

• Lindsay K
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@BeverlyFLADeziner thank you!

• Nina Dee
    2 years ago

@Lindsay K yes getting the undertones right can be tricky. have you looked at Origami white be Sherwin Williams? i believe its the same colour family as the paints you listed but with a neutral undertone.

Lindsay K thanked Nina Dee
  • Lindsay K
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Nina Dee I like the origami white, thank you! Painting with white is intimidating.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

IMO you choose wall colr for your space and your stuff . Mixing whaites can be tricky but also can be very attractive . As for long lasting choice are you the type that changes decor often or do you keep the same stuff? I have very plae fray walls with white trim it has been our wall color for 15 yrs and I just repainted the whole house and kept the same color I love it it works with everything we own and is IMO timeless for my life. IMO before choosing any wall color make sure all your lighting is the same in the rooms you are painting I like LED 4000K but you can go 3500K but IMO not any lower or you strat getting a yellow hue everyhere.\ and with whites that is a big issue