Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelly_feil

What paint color should I choose for this bedroom with lots of wood?

Kelly Feil
2 years ago

The room is enormous with oak floors and the wood ceiling on one side with dark wood trim all around (we can't paint all of it), so we are not going to fight the lodge-like feel. It gets mostly northern/eastern light, so we'd like a warm neutral, but it also gets western sun late in the day through a glass block wall. We will probably put down oriental rugs and use some greens/blues in the textiles. We are sort of attracted to neutrals that have a slight orange to yellow cast and thinking somewhat mid-tone to avoid too much contrast between the wood ceiling and floor. Any suggestions on paint color?

Comments (16)

• mvcanada
    2 years ago

Do you have a few more pictures of different angles of the room and also the furniture you plan to use in the room?

Green nearly always works with wood floors and trim. But it is hard to say with just what you've shown what green I'd suggest.

Here are some options you could look at - these all play well with wood.

I'm partial to the Sage Leaf colour - or if that feels too dark you could find a lighter tone of that shade.

green paint colours with honey oak - Google Search · More Info

If greys are more your style then there are warm greys that will work as well - think greige more than grey.

warm grey paint benjamin moore - Google Search · More Info

Either get some paint pot samples and try them on several patches of wall (prime it white first) or put it on some poster board etc and move it around the room. You need to see it in the light, near windows, in the day and at night to determine if the colour works well for your surroundings.

Kelly Feil thanked mvcanada
  • Jilly
    2 years ago

Kelly, if you have Instagram, go browse through the Farrow & Ball account. I think you might find inspiration there, especially for warmer colors.

https://instagram.com/farrowandball?utm_medium=copy_link

Another good one:

https://instagram.com/edwardbulmerpaint?utm_medium=copy_link

• Kelly Feil
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks, all. Furniture will also be a mix of woods, mostly dark and vintage pieces. We are hoping to get a mossy green velvet type sofa and an antiqued brass/bronze bed. I DO NOT want green walls here and we both dislike gray - definitely warm neutrals for this room given the mostly cool light. Will check out the Farrow and Ball set as suggested.

• Cate
    2 years ago

Ivory Palace (behr) is a nice neutral white that goes with warm and cool tones.

• Cate
    2 years ago

Kelly Feil thanked Cate
  • Cate
    2 years ago

Plus I used it with behr Broadway which is a dark black green

• Yayagal
    2 years ago

This is a gray green paint that is stunning in a room with lots of wood. https://homelikeyoumeanit.com/gray-green-paint/

Kelly Feil thanked Yayagal
  • stellarceline
    2 years ago

Creamy white for sure!!

Kelly Feil thanked stellarceline
  • kandrewspa
    2 years ago

Farrow and Ball have great colors but it is inordinately expensive paint. I can recommend BM Edgecomb Gray (which is greige). It is a good background color. I don't think about it - it's just there and looks surprisingly good with my yukky orangey oak floors (haven't gotten around to refinishing them yet). If you are interested in something a little lighter I like BM Soft Chamois for rooms that don't have great light. You'll have to start sampling in order to see what you're going to like. There are a lot of choices!

Kelly Feil thanked kandrewspa
  • Jilly
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I suggested those paint accounts for inspiration, not to buy from them. They have gorgeous colorful rooms on both.

Kelly Feil thanked Jilly
  • Kelly Feil
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Coincidentally, was trying ivories this afternoon so will check out ivory palace. The two ivory swatches I had came up almost green in the light. As to the greens, I actually had a couple of those swatches for the adjoining master. And I love the charcoal picture - alas, we just both don't want to live with gray anymore. We lived in a new house for awhile that had gray and white in every room, so I think we just burned out on it. Thanks for the ideas, folks.

• Debbie Downer
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

You might want to look up early 1900s color schemes from the Arts&Crafts movement - aka Craftsman or Mission style (sorta).C... just for inspiration, you wouldnt have to go full-blown A&C in your decor or anything. What you have in mind sounds very sympatico. Those styles all were a reaction from the stuffy fussy Victorian era, and emphasized natural materials like stone and wood and took inspiration from colors from nature. You know - you do have quite a nice color scheme already picked for you in your stone work. Do you like that stone? Im seeing some nice blue grays, browns, gold-browns and the mortar beige of course.

Kelly Feil thanked Debbie Downer
  • K H.
    2 years ago

Either a neutral ivory (no yellow undertones), or a deep slate

Kelly Feil thanked K H.
  • privateprivateprivate
    2 years ago

We live in a timber frame house with wood floors. Trust me, even a cool neutral will pick up warm tones. Stone type colors, anything with a little green tint will look great. We are less fond of rooms which we painted in warmer whites, eg Navajo White.

Kelly Feil thanked privateprivateprivate
  • Kelly Feil
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Debbie Downer, We do like some of the A&C inspiration. We like some of the stone, more the warmer tones as the light in the room can be a bit cold with the bluer stone. There is also a lot of green coming in from outside. So likely we will be pulling out a warmer neutral (slightly gold/orange undertone) on the walls with green/blue in the textiles working off the stone but deeper. Keeping me busy trying to check out the various colors at different times of day.