Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rebecca_koch90

How to incorporate real red oak floors and lvp

Rebecca C
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We bought a house that has red oak hardwood floors in the bedrooms but not in the living area of the house. Are we going to regret putting in lux vinyl plank flooring and have it meeting up with real oak floors? but we also dont want to spend the money on putting real oak floors through out the living area.

Comments (18)

• kempek01
    2 years ago

What is in the living room now?

Could we see a picture of that??

• Rebecca C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Nothing but sub floors. it was carpet when we bought

• Rebecca C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This is the hall where the new floors would meet the oak hardwoods

• kempek01
    2 years ago

I would not do LVP next to hardwood. Whether you should have lived with the carpet doesn't matter now since you have removed it. If budget is the issue, I would look at replacing with carpet. It'll be your cheapest option in the short run.

• aziline
    2 years ago

Look at LVT. it won't compete with your wood floors.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    2 years ago

Agree with millworkman. The only thing luxury about LVT or LVP is the name.

I think I might do real tile in the hall and a nice carpet in the living areas.

• Rebecca C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The only places the LVP and hardwood would meet is at the doors to the bedrooms.

• millworkman
    2 years ago

Doesn't really matter if it truly matter if it never meets. If it is visible from the same room it should be a non-starter.

• L Brogdon
    2 years ago

I'm facing the exact situation. This is my family's 57 year old farm house. The entire house is red oak with the exception of the family room, kitchen and pantry/utility room. We have to change the flooring because of a dishwasher leak. I'm not going to have one room in the house carpeted nor are we interested in installing hardwood in the kitchen so we have little choice but LVP. Sigh... now I don't know what to do.

• HU-201404483
    2 years ago

Everyone complains that hardwood/LVP don't look great together, and they don't, but it's also such a shame to cover them up with LVP. I'm in the same boat. It's your house and if you want to keep the wood flooring where it is, then do what you want.

• Lindsay K
    2 years ago

In my last house, I had engineered wood in the living room and hallway, and a totally different colored wood-look laminate in all the bedrooms off that hallway. The wood was a dark color, and the laminate a light color. It never bothered me and I had no problem selling the house. It was done by the previous owner, but I never even considered changing it.

• Rebecca C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Mine are only meeting at the door ways to the bed rooms so I think we are going to go with LVP. We need something duarable since we live on a dirt road and farm.

• Elizabeth B
    2 years ago

​​​LVP is an awesome product. It's durable, beautiful, and feels great under foot. Can't ask for much more in a floor.  However, wood look flooring should never butt up against another wood look floor. Wood look tile should not butt up against LVP or hardwood floors, etc. Two different color hardwoods shouldn't meet either. I would do a cool tile in the hallway. Herringbone or encaustic. Make it look like a deliberate design. Then have it with LVP in the rest of the living area. You'll be happy with it, it will look great, and it won't destroy your budget. Was

• PRO
    Unique Wood Floors
    2 years ago

I would worry more about the height difference between LVP in the hallway and hardwood in bedrooms. One is floating installation while the other is nail-down. As for your flooring design, I would choose whatever you love and feel it will go well with your bedroom Red Oak floors. I favor Elizabeth B suggestion; a diagonal installation will look gorgeous and easy to achieve.

• btydrvn
    2 years ago

I have had Cortec LVP for years… I chose the wider plank in the upgrade quality… and am sold on this product for life… it only needs a damp mop to clean or a wet rag for spills…. The color we chose also does not show soil or dust … a reason I really hate dark floors.. I will add a pic or two

• btydrvn
    2 years ago

I especially like the matte finish…. Not shiny or fake looking..

• btydrvn
    2 years ago

We also live in the country on a dirt road…when we entertain.. people show up in cowboy and hiking boots and high heels… not a scratch or mark in 20 years