Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ouidub

New House Color Change

Cory
2 years ago

We are building a new house, and I’m not a huge fan of the tan and light blue color scheme it comes with (and we cannot make any changes until after closing). Do you think a new blue and white scheme works for this style home? I’m slightly worried about it being too “Greek”.

Comments (19)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Sorry I do not understand the question if this is new build why can you not choose your exterior color and I garee that is one weird choice of colors for any house. BW the blue you show in the bottom pic is not the blue you see in Greece. This is the blue in Greece. I think I do not like painting brick but I aslo think once you have nice lanscaping I sure prefer the blue and white to that horrible combo there now. I do not like the buried entry door what was the reason for that ? I aslo would want glass in my garage door since it is so in your face .

• housegal200
    2 years ago

I'm with Patricia. Top photo also shows brick but bottom photo doesn't. Do you have to choose from a compulsory color palette, or is it totally up to you? The future landscape matters--desert? country? northeast? Canada? We need more information. That blue is a total no--just look at it against the blue sky!

• Cory
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Patricia, our particular builder does not allow any upgrades or changes (which has worked well overall since we purchased a home in another state and did not have the budget to pay for a bunch of upgrades). The blue commonly seen on Grecian-style homes is lighter, but I wasn't sure how our particular blue and white combination would work visually.

• Cory
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The house is near Sacramento, CA. The front will have grass and mulch with some bushes and other landscaping. After living in Texas for 9 years, I am SUPER tired of ugly red brick on homes, but our home comes with that small brick area. My rendering shows the brick being painted over (it's hard to see in the photo).

• tarhlfan
    2 years ago

I definitely don't like the first photo and not crazy about the second. But if that is what you need to do, it is better than the top one. I agree w/ Patricia, windows on the top of garage door would look much better. I don't like the deep front door, can that be changed?

• Cory
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for the ideas guys! I like houssan's suggestion, and good thinking about the bottom getting dirty in rain, etc. Maybe at some point we will replace the basic garage door with something nicer with windows, but it wouldn't be right away.

• Cory
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Such a standard feature with the front doors being recessed. It's common when you have front garages, bedrooms in front and the living spaces in the rear - you end up with a long center hallway. We are planning a nice lighting feature in there to brighten it up, plus a better front door with glazing. It will be nice to have the entrance sheltered from the sun and rain, something we don't have currently.

• Cory
    Original Author
    2 years ago

What do you guys think of this?

• 4arnottp
    2 years ago

Both of the dark blue/white and grey/white combinations are fine. The brown/cream/brick is the best option as it has more visual interest with the texture of the brick. A fabulous light fixture by the front door will help too.

• Cory
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Housegal, you need to tone down the negative comments and be mindful that this is someone’s home you’re criticizing. The fact remains that our home has a front garage that dominates the facade. Would we love to do that differently? Sure, but we are damn lucky to have found our first home that we can afford in this insane market. The other houses around look just like ours. Some have a craftsman style, which I would like to reference. We can’t afford to hire a color consultant or buy a new fancy garage door. Our funds are going toward our down payment and the massive expense of moving across the country. Even a project as simple as painting is going to take a few months. The photos you posted have completely different roof lines, siding materials and architectural styles. Have you considered that maybe what you don’t like about our house is the gable roofline on the front? I’m just happy that the front looks balanced. You’re welcome to share ideas for the color combination, but let’s leave the commercial building comments out. They’re not helping.

• housegal200
    2 years ago

You're right. I'll delete my previous comments. But please understand that you came here seemingly asking for opinions but actually looking for affirmation of where you're going with this. Except for one person, everyone else advised against your first mockup. Then right after Houssan showed such a good way to go, which generated ten plusses, and your thanks, you posted a second mockup like the first very high contrast--all garage, gable, no brick look. I believe you're looking for affirmation of that. Well, you have two people who like those, one Commentor and yourself. So go with it!

• Candace
    2 years ago

@Cory - I immediately thought “do you have an HOA that will even let you paint whatever color you want?” I do like the brick painted white - looks so much better (and I am normally not a fan of painted brick). I like your last picture - toning down the blue a bit will help loads, and when you can (if you can justify it) a fancier garage door with windows would look awesome and really set you apart from all the similar houses. It’s tough to replace something that’s brand new, though - and you’d likely only get pennies on the dollar re-selling that door - it would be a bullet biter for sure.

• ptreckel
    2 years ago

Before you eliminate (postpone?) the idea of adding windows to your garage door, check the door manufacturer’s website. Most have substitute panels for their doors that might enable you to simply switch out the top panels with ones that have windows. This is something that you could do at a later date. You won’t have to replace the entire garage door. Of course, I am sure that your priorities are elsewhere at this point (as well they should be!). Good luck with your new home!

• res2architect
    2 years ago

The brick doesn't appear to reach the ground. Can that be fixed? Can it be removed? Can the wall below it be painted?

For such a small facade consider abandoning the 4 material approach and try to unify the design with one material and color or several colors in the same family.

I would not use brown and would eliminate the horizontal band above the garage door and window to make the house appear taller and more monolithic. If the builder won't allow that, paint the band and the upper and lower walls the same color, something warm and neutral, maybe several shades of warn gray.

Drive around and look at houses until you see somethig that works and post a photo.

• Jennifer K
    2 years ago

When you move into a new home, there are umpty-thousand things to do. The colours (which I admit are not optimal) will quickly slip down your list of priorities as you live in the house and learn what you like and what makes you nuts. Were this my house, I'd live in it a year before I changed anything-- for 2 reasons. First, as I said above, you don't know what you will really want to spend money on yet. And second, because your builder may need to come and repair deficiencies and you don't want to argue about whose fault they are.

If you absolutely can't stand the combo, paint the gable ends the same colour as the stucco. It will be bland but inoffensive. And, please don't paint the brick ever-- use a proper siliceous brick stain so that your brick stays low maintenance instead of becoming a burden.

• Cory
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for all the input everyone! After taking everything into account, here’s what I think we’re going to do. Kept it lighter on top, painted (or stained?) the brick a darker color so you can’t see dirt as easily. It will blend well with other homes in the neighborhood that have the gray color package but will still be unique. The greenery in front will provide some color (tree and several plants)

• pleballerina
    2 years ago

What you might consider doing is leaving the brick as is until you get some landscaping established. Landscaping can help hide the brick; I too am not a fan of painted brick because it turns a material that is quite maintenance-free into something to be maintained.
    When you get your color scheme down, paint the gutter’s downspout to match the house.
    Another way to address the brick is to limewash it with Romabio, a non-permanent product that lasts about 10 years:

https://romabio.com/classicolimewash/

Congratulations on your new home!

• Courtney Hurvey
    2 years ago

What's bad in "Greek?" Anyway, this blue do not look like Greek one, as it was said before me. IMO blue color looks nicer than grey, but the border between colors shoud not be so explicit