Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rnmomof2

Medicare dental and vision supplements?

RNmomof2 zone 5
2 years ago

As I quickly approach retirement ( Yea!!) we are trying to make final decisions on supplements. Got my eyes checked to day and the MD seemed to think there may be cheaper plans for vision than I was offered.

Thoughts on companies for both dental and vision? Any other tidbits about either of these products?

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• bpath
    2 years ago

I am going through the same decisions. We have had vision insur@nce only one year, when DH’s company included it. We’ve had dental insurance once, when we both knew that we had something comping up the next year. We asked our dentist what they would cost, and determined that insurance would be worth it that year.

I guess I’d check how much an exam is, and how much the premiums are.

RNmomof2 zone 5 thanked bpath
  • texanjana
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I think only Medicare Advantage provides dental and vision benefits. Original Medicare does not. We aren’t eligible yet, but have helped sort out plans for elderly/disabled family members.

RNmomof2 zone 5 thanked texanjana
  • salonva
    2 years ago

The thing with Medicare plans is that it really varies by county and state. I have a Medicare Advantage plan which includes dental and vision. There are also Supplemental plans which I believe you can add on for dental and vision. It really is a toss up. I am very pleased with mine as it has a great roster of practitioners in the area.

• Tina Marie
    2 years ago

We are a few years from Medicare but I handled my dad's finances later in life. He had Humana, whether it was a Medicare Advantage Plan or supplemental, I do not recall. Supplemental I think. He had great benefits with many things covered. I'm almost certain he had vision coverage.

RNmomof2 zone 5 thanked Tina Marie
  • sushipup2
    2 years ago

Tina Marie, that would have been a Medicare Advantage plan. I don't know of any regular supplements that include vision care. But Medicare will cover medical-related vision checks, etc like a diabetes check and cataracts. But not routine vision and eyeglasses.

RNmomof2 zone 5 thanked sushipup2
  • 3katz4me
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

We always had vision and dental through employer. Now we have Medicare and supplement. We’re not buying vision or dental coverage. The coverage is so limited compared with the premiums that we’ll just self insure.

I never really considered an advantage plan but the one I looked at more closely didn’t include my dentist or vision provider and I wouldn’t consider going to those providers that were.

RNmomof2 zone 5 thanked 3katz4me
  • maddielee
    2 years ago

Talk to the business manager of your dentist. He/she should tell you what plans they accept, if they accept any.

RNmomof2 zone 5 thanked maddielee
  • woodrose
    2 years ago

I have Humana Medicare Advantage Plan with vision coverage. it covers a free eye exam once a year, and pays $200 toward a pair of eyeglasses. I'm not sure what other vision benefits it has.

RNmomof2 zone 5 thanked woodrose