Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathyc_z10

Silver Lining new rose for 2022

kathyc_z10
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Just wanted to share my experience on this new rose for 2022, Silver Lining, a floribunda from Weeks (different than the *other* Silver Lining by Dickson). There's not a lot of info out there on it yet.

It was a bagged rose at my local nursery; I usually do not buy roses unless I've done research on them, but my son was with me and we bought it on a whim because we both like lilac tones. =)

Very healthy and began forming 11 buds within 3 weeks of planting it in a pot. I was very surprised by how quickly it formed buds.

It bloomed, very pretty silvery/lilac, and looked as if it were glowing from a distance. It lasted through two days in 100 degree heat and looked fine! The next blooms were more lilac, and due to that heat wave, the other buds opened more quickly, but still looked formed and did not lose petals after a few days on the bush.

I really love the greenish yellow at the base. Little scent. I had zero expectations for it and I am pleasantly surprised by its health and ability to take the heat without fading to white!

Here it is in stages:

After about 4 days the first blooms were fully open

The rest of the blooms were more lilac

Kathy

Comments (12)

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    2 years ago

Wow! Kathy what a spectacular color. Sometimes you get really lucky with an unknown rose.

I will be keeping my eyes peeled for this one

How tall is it supposed to get ?

kathyc_z10 thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    2 years ago

Is yours the Bedard rose ?

• kathyc_z10
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes, Bedard's rose. The info I see shows it can get up to 4 ft. I usually dont check height as I always assume they'll get larger here no matter what!

• seasiderooftop
    2 years ago

Very pretty! I love the delicate color with the subtle hint of pink on the edges. Thank you for sharing!

kathyc_z10 thanked seasiderooftop
  • BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    2 years ago

I just saw Silver Lining at the local nursery and was very impressed. The blooms are large and fluffy, sized like a Hybrid Tea, but in floriferous clusters typical of a floribunda. The color was a very beautiful light silvery lavender. It reminded me of a lighter colored Love Song.

The local nursery also had large healthy plants of Sterling Silver, which I thought was a very rare find. I made myself choose between the two, and ended up getting Sterling Silver because I don’t know when I’ll get to buy another big healthy plant of that variety. I’m sure Silver Lining is the far more garden-worthy of the two, but sometimes I like a challenge lol.

kathyc_z10 thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Come to Edwards here in Boise, Ben, for Sterling Silver (they have it nearly every year), but come early because it's sold out. They also have Silver Lining and Angel Face, another hard to get rose. I hope you do well with Sterling Silver and I look forward to photos. Edwards roses are five gallon. No, I'm not on their payroll. Are you liking your new home? I don't know what part of Cal you're living in, but San Jose used to have near the perfect rose growing climate, I thought.

Kathy, your rose is exquisite. It looks like a good bloomer, too, plus I like a rose that can take the heat. Diane

kathyc_z10 thanked Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Ben, did you move ?

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    2 years ago

Kathy,

the more I look at your pics the more I want to go back to the store and pick up that Silver Lining I left behind.

Kristine,

Yes, I’m in California now! Yippee!

Diane,

Edwards sounds like a real treasure. My brother used to live in San Jose, and I agree, extraordinary rose country. I’m closer to Sacramento, just a bit hotter, but I look around my neighborhood and everyone’s roses just look amazing. Long sunny days, cool dry nights, a warm Meditteranean climate makes them so happy. Even the obviously neglected gardens have beautiful roses.

kathyc_z10 thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    2 years ago

Oh wow Ben, starting all over

Did you take anything with you ?

Are you closer to your Mom now ?

2 years ago

What a spectacular color!!

• Rachel Ohio-Zone6A
    last year

How lovely! I wasn’t aware of this rose. It reminds me of Stephen Rulo. Mine is hanging on by a thread, so I just might need to add this to my wish list as a replacement!