Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dgibon

Tub or Huge shower

Diane Gibson
2 years ago

The photo is of our current Master bath 13’ wide by 15, long.
We been living with this layout and shower/tub for 18 yrs, we’ve used the bath tub 10 times. However we’re now ready to upgrade from builder grade to something nicer. Question is what options do we have? I’m wondering if we should remove the tub and create a shower room? There is a 4’x4’ window above the tub, that I would love to remove, and put in a transom window instead to allow sunlight in without having to block it with blinds. However that means trying to match 18 yr old siding, etc. Do we need to have a tub in the master bath? Or is a luxurious shower, bench, rain shower head with separate hand held shower head with lots of space, better, leaving the window and water proof wrapping it enough? What would be recommended? We’re open to options but don’t really want to reinvent the whole bathroom. We want to stay in a budget between 15-18k

nice shower and tub
Luxurious shower only

Comments (20)

• Jeff Meeks
    2 years ago

If you take baths include a bath, if not go with a big shower.

• la_la Girl
    2 years ago

Is there another tub in the house or is this the only one?

• Diane Gibson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

There is another tub in the bath and a half on the second floor between two bedrooms.

• ci_lantro
    2 years ago

'Huge' showers can be chilly, drafty showers. Great in August but not in January.

My master has shower only which I am totally OK with. I've used the tub in another bathroom maybe 5-6 times over the past 20 something years.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    2 years ago

We have a similar layout with toilet room, tub, then shower flipped from yours. My pie in the sky idea is that I am going to turn the shower to go along that wall and take out the tub. This leaves the window alone and provides a dressing area for a bench and perhaps hooks for clothes or towels.

• kandrewspa
    2 years ago

It looks like you could easily extend the shower another three feet along the closet wall and still have both. You could replace your built-in tub with the least expensive freestanding tub you can find since you don't use it much. That's what I did last year when I remodeled my master bath. I think of it as a piece of sculpture. :-) Then you don't have to worry about changing the window and matching the siding. Get motorized shades that go from the bottom up to control privacy. You'll have to see what other people say about the cost, but I doubt you will be able to do this for less than $20K unless you're in a low cost area and can do part of the work yourself. I am not in one of highest cost areas, but probably only one level down, so maybe I am not a good judge of what it will cost elsewhere.

• Sue 430
    2 years ago

We are almost finished with our remodel. we took out a large jacuzzi tub, and enlarged our shower to 7x4.5 with a bench, a regular showerhead, a handheld, a rain shower in the ceiling, 4 body sprays and a steamer. so far, we love it!

• eld6161
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

We also love our large shower. No problem with the window!

And, I don't find it drafty

Ours was an entire gut job and cost twice as much as what you are allowing.

• Carrie B
    2 years ago

I'd go for a nice sized shower & no tub, though I don't see a reason for a "huge" shower unless someone's a huge person or the entire family is showering together. It's always nice to have extra space in the bathroom: be it for storage, a bigger vanity, or just plain old breathing room.

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

Your money your choice. The next buyer may feel differently and then they will upgrade from your opinion of 'luxurious shower, bench, rain shower head with separate hand held shower head with lots of space,' Me I would wonder why anyone would waste all that space on a shower and wonder if the designer knew there was no maid to clean it. Why the daily grind of grooming needs to be turned into a mini day at the spa will never compute in my brain. What will the window look like from the outside needs to be considered. You know what you want. It's your money. Go for it.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    2 years ago

Absolutely barrier-free. No question. You don’t know what the future holds.

We have a 4’ shower with overhead rain shower + a handheld. It’s perfect. If you end up with a bit extra width to fill, do this:

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    2 years ago

If you aren't using the tub then it's just wasted space. Would suggest you opt for a bigger shower. I say this if you are planning on staying in the house. If you are planning to sell, then perhaps leave the tub in as it might be an attractive feature for a future buyer.

• Helen
    2 years ago

In your circumstances a luxurious shower would be preferable. You don't use a tub so why not have a great shower.

Even if you are reselling most adults would prefer a large shower in their master bath since they don't take baths so you would be just as likely to attract sellers. I would much prefer a master bath with only a great shower versus a mediocre shower and a tub that just needs to be cleaned.

You don't mention your age but it would be a good idea to design the bathroom so that you can age in place. A shower without a curb might not be feasible either in terms of construction or cost but you can still have a more accessible shower by having as small as curb as possible AND locating grab bars - of course grab bars should be in every shower regardless of age of user.

I am not sure your budget is realistic for your renovation. Of course that depends on costs in your area as well as finishes selected. However a tile shower is quite expensive to build correctly and the cost of skilled labor for bathrooms - licensed plumbers and electricians and skilled tile setters are high and their services are in high demand.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    2 years ago

I would do a nice large shower but not extending across the window - go the other direction. Then get rid of the knee space in between the sinks and put a nice vanity table in front of the window - I think someone else mentioned this idea as well.

And, as mentioned above, I do not believe that your budget will be enough for this size of room. The materials alone could run 15k then labor on top of it - in my area that would be 18 - 20k.

Get some quotes before doing anything and see if it is in your budget or if you have to wait a little longer.

Good luck!

• cubby14
    2 years ago

I agree with Debbi, large shower but not in front of window.

• 4arnottp
    2 years ago

I too would do a large shower avoiding the window. The costs for the tub include the tub and tub filler. Those two items alone will gooble $2K from your budget. I agree with others on spending your money on a beautiful barrier free shower and leaving open space in the bathroom.

• ci_lantro
    2 years ago

A barrier free shower makes total sense for a first floor master bedroom.

But this is a second floor bathroom. Without a stair lift (difficult because of the U turn on the stairs?) or an elevator, I'm not understanding the buzz about making the shower barrier free.

• roarah
    2 years ago

I agree that a larger shower and 86 ing the tub are the way to go. But a second floor master does not need a zero threshhold with risky install and possible future water issues . A low curve with appropriate slope will be enough. In my area this project would start at twice your budget.

• Helen
    2 years ago

@roarah is correct in terms of there not being any need for a zero threshold unless you are specifically building to accomodate someone who is wheel chair bound.

The issue for most seniors is using a tub shower combination but they can make it over a low threshold. This is generally true even when they need a helper for safety. Appropriately placed grab bars will preserve independence and provide safety in almost all circumstances.

Also many people can go up a flight of stairs but still not be able to maneuver over a tub easily or safely.