Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slimoedee

Disturbing Decorations

JustDoIt
2 years ago

I thought decorating your home should make you and your guests comfortable. While I like the color combination of this room, this stool is just disturbing and off-putting:

The listening Room · More Info

Other examples of items that lend themselves to funny feelings?

Comments (26)

• olychick
    2 years ago

If those are real legs, I agree, but if they are just representations it wouldn’t bother me any more than claw foot tables or paper mache’ animal trophy heads. Real ones are very disturbing to me.

JustDoIt thanked olychick
  • Connecticut Yankeeeee
    2 years ago

Ooh, I thought this was the Airbnb we stayed in Edinburgh! It was highly stylized creepy, but the location won us over.

JustDoIt thanked Connecticut Yankeeeee
  • cawaps
    2 years ago

The legs amuse me.

I have a painting in my bedroom that most people would definitely find disturbing. That's why it's not in the public areas of the house.

JustDoIt thanked cawaps
  • palimpsest
    2 years ago

I actually think the chair looks very uncomfortable. I could be wrong.

JustDoIt thanked palimpsest
  • Kaya
    2 years ago

Maybe this does make this particular owner and his/her guests comfortable though. I have to admire its rather outspoken vibe. When it comes to art, I say vive la difference!

JustDoIt thanked Kaya
  • aziline
    2 years ago

The room has a kinky look to it. I'd want to poke around and find the S&M room.

JustDoIt thanked aziline
  • 1929Spanish-GW
    2 years ago

I have a vintage zebra skin in the library, but this really freaks me out!

JustDoIt thanked 1929Spanish-GW
  • elcieg
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

The genitalia...it's just "shrinkage"....click on the "more info"...it's like a fig leaf! Coincidental?

JustDoIt thanked elcieg
  • olychick
    2 years ago

Haha, the difference between men and women...I didn't even notice it and no it doesn't disturb me a bit.
    The stool sort of gives me pause because it looks like if you sit on it, it might SPROING in many different directions at once!

JustDoIt thanked olychick
  • JustDoIt
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The amputated genitalia bothers you less than the legs?

Ha. Had not even noticed that. Those legs were just so freaky.

• elcieg
    2 years ago

This is fun!

How about the trim on the mantel surround?

Maybe each piece is a Rorschach test?

What do I see in the art over fireplace? Maybe a manatee hovering over two shrimp?

JustDoIt thanked elcieg
  • Ally De
    2 years ago

The chair confuses me. It looks like a hammock that could kill you. Or something..

JustDoIt thanked Ally De
  • nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
    2 years ago

I’m disturbed by the aeonium next to the pedestal for the statue. I doubt if there’s enough light for real aeonium to grow in that space, so it either faux — disturbing — or constantly replaced — disturbing in its own way.

That one chair looks as if in waiting for a victim.

I like the stool.

I thought that the complaint would reference the painting — which I also like.

JustDoIt thanked nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10
  • Allison0704
    2 years ago

2012 Decorator Showcase San Francisco

An 18th century Italian antique "horse leg" bench loaned from C. Mariani. Photo by Marcelo Canut de Bon

YouTube Video - Listen Room starts at 10:50+ minutes. Matthew MacCaul Turner with MacCaul Turner Design.

It isn't amputated genitalia, it's shrinkage.

JustDoIt thanked Allison0704
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

Late to this by days; it fell off page 1 before I ever saw it, but FWIW, I learned that those teeny tiny male member depictions of old were purposeful, since fleshly desire was considered base, animalistic - beneath the lofty intellectual character of a proper man.

That said, the bench reminds me of the creepy walking robots of today. There's something highly unnatural about them. Would it be a.k.a. 'uncanny valley'?

JustDoIt thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • Allison0704
    2 years ago

The dog robots are creepy AF.

JustDoIt thanked Allison0704
  • DLM2000-GW
    2 years ago

^^^ The whole business in Shanghai with the robot dogs and drones is dystopian.

I don't find the decor disturbing but it does not appeal to me on any level.

JustDoIt thanked DLM2000-GW
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    2 years ago

That thing on the left is a chair? When I first looked at it, I thought it was strop for honing straight razors!

JustDoIt thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • ilikefriday
    2 years ago

This room looks interesting and well done to me. I absolutely love everything about it! I would be very comfortable in this space though I am not sure if my guests would be but I don't decorate for them. That being said, since most of my friends are like-minded they would probably find the room fantastic and amusing as well.

As for the genitalia, in my mind, it is tucked underneath for men who like to hide it when they are dressed. It kind of makes me like it even more. They might like wearing tight leggings or dresses without showing the bulge ;-)

JustDoIt thanked ilikefriday
  • User
    2 years ago

the whole room overall makes me feel uneasy. the leather chair on the left looks uncomfortable, and the shapes remind me of medieval weapons. the round ottoman is ugly. the abstract painting seems aggressive, somehow. (I do like this painting, but when paired with everything else it's.... a lot.) and yes, I agree that the stool with animal legs is creepy.

I like the abstract art and the nude sculpture. but everything else about this room is definitely not my taste.

JustDoIt thanked User
  • JustDoIt
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Those robot are extremely disturbing along with how they are treating the citizens.

• User
    2 years ago

Anyone seen the ones in Black Mirror? Terrifying.

JustDoIt thanked User
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    2 years ago

"I have a painting in my bedroom that most people would definitely find disturbing. That's why it's not in the public areas of the house."

cawaps:

I'll show you mine if you show me yours. You first.

JustDoIt thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    2 years ago

I was discussing this with a friend recently and realized that legs bending in such an unnatural way in real life would mean those legs were broken or dislocated. Perhaps that's why it's so disturbing on an instinctual level.

JustDoIt thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • User
    2 years ago

^^ or bending in an unearthly way. like alien legs.

JustDoIt thanked User