Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethpacyk

How to hang art on a stacked stone fireplace (no grout lines)?

bethpacyk
2 years ago

We had some art framed for above our fireplace and the canvas is pretty thick so i don't trust it leaning. Any ideas for ways to hang art from a stone fireplace?

The surface is too uneven for any type of adhesive product like 3M and brick clips didn't work.

Comments (39)

• MJD232
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

We have the same situation where leaning was the only option so we have put a strip of drawer liner on the mantel under the length of the frame to keep it from moving….works very well.

• carinhawkins
    2 years ago

We have round hooks on the ceiling right where it meets the stone wall, the art can be suspended from those hooks.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    2 years ago

Apply a strip of trim (similar to quarter-round) to the surface of the mantel to set the painting behind. This prevents slippage.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 years ago

Use a masonry bit to drill through the ‘stone’ and then use a standard plastic anchor and screw. It will always be covered with art so don’t worry about the hole

• Kendrah
    2 years ago

I like the suggestion of suspending from where the wall meets the ceiling, like how an old fashioned picture rail functioned. I think it is a great painting and leaning it up against the wall on the black strip of mantle does not do it justice. It needs some room beetween it and the mantle.

• elcieg
    2 years ago

• clt3
    2 years ago

We used a couple of little dabs of Museum gel under each corner of a frame on our leaning art work. Hasn’t moved.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

In this situation, I’ve done exactly what HALLETT advised. It doesn’t make a big hole at all and can easily be patched if needed later. I think a cleaner look like that would be best here.

Your art is very interesting, and looks great there.

• cawaps
    2 years ago

I would probably install a ceiling-mounted picture rail and use fishing line (available in various weights/strengths, maybe 20 lb for this) to hang it. Something like this:

https://www.picturehangingsystems.com/picture-rail-systems/ceiling-mounting

Patricia feels strongly that her subjective taste is the same as objective good taste. Don't worry, it's not.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 years ago

Lafayette · More Info

I tried command hooks on both these paintings. When they fall at three am it is terrifying, replaced them both with nails set in the wall. Even if the art changes there will always be something in this spot

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

This solution might be more interesting for your fireplace.

• Fori
    2 years ago

Funny what Patricia said...I think it's perfect.

If you like it at that height, add something to the mantel like Littlebug suggests. I'm so classy I'd probably use a couple black thumbtacks. Museum wax might work depending on the weight of the piece.

If you want it higher, I don't think I'd like hanging it from the ceiling because you have such a sleek modern look. Make a hole like Hallet says and do it properly.

• njmomma
    2 years ago

I think the art is beautiful, but I also think it fights with the stone fireplace.

I would keep it in the room, but not on the fireplace.

• Lynzy
    2 years ago

I like @BeverlyFLADeziner’s suggestion a lot. Your painting is lovely and I like it, but I do think the strong pattern of it competes with the stacked stone pattern. It would really shine on a painted wall, perhaps above a credenza.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

That’s a lot of items for a small mantle, and would be pretty busy. I doubt it would all be the same color, so not sure it’s the more calm solution.

I hope the OP keeps the painting there if they enjoy seeing that art, instead of staging it with a bunch of generic items.

I guess we all see things differently, huh? :)

HALLETT, awesome bathroom, great tile work!

• Lynzy
    2 years ago

@jinx, the mantle arrangement doesn’t have to literally copy what Beverly suggested. I think she was suggesting experimenting with layering heights and textures. I’d probably only place three items, playing around with them for the right visual heft and balance.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

And I stand by what I said. But I’m sure, like most threads here, the OP will be talked out of something personal that brings them joy to look at.

• Lynzy
    2 years ago

Okay then.

• L.D. Johnson
    2 years ago

I agree the picture would benefit from some space above the mantle. I think Hallet's suggestion is simplest. I do like the ceiling rail suggestion that Cawaps offered. But if you go that route, check first to see if the ceiling is level where it meets the fireplace. I bought one of those systems, albeit for a longer wallboard wall. I discovered too late that the joint between wall and celiing was not straight and level. We could not mount the rail flush against the joint.

• chloebud
    2 years ago

@bethpacyk, just curious…how deep is the mantel? I also like Hallett’s suggestion.

• bethpacyk
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone!

The mantel is slightly less than 5" deep so there isn't room to try the quarter round method. I attempted the ceiling picture rail idea but the variation in the stone makes it not flush to the wall and it me stuck out more.

While I love the idea of a layered matel, it would compete with other things going on in the room. There is a layered photo ledge on the adjacent wall (photo below) and I like that the canvas is matte to add something differnt than the glass photo frame and TV. Our kitchen opens to this room and has a lovely blue tile, so I like the strong art here to pull the blue through.

Art is a personal preference and I understand my tastes may not be the same as yours. Isn't it wonderful that the world is filled with so many different personalities and enough art to fit each and every one?

Blue kitchen for reference :)

• bethpacyk
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I agree with @HALLETT & Co.that the hole will always be covered and if there aren't any other creative solutions I'll get my masonary bit ready and pray nothong goes wrong!

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Love your kitchen!

I have this large, very heavy (and very sentimental) framed print over my mantel at every house … hung the way HALLETT described. Never have had a problem. I think yours will be just fine. :)

• bethpacyk
    Original Author
    2 years ago

One other product I found was these “drill free” picture hangers than seem to have good reviews and there is an option that allegedly works in brick and stone. Anyone tried?

EuTengHao 43Pcs Invisible Nail Screws Wall Hooks No Trace Picture Hangers Traceless Photo Hook Hardwall Drywall Picture Hooks Multi Function Heavy Duty Picture Art Painting Frame Hanger (35Lbs,6Types) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F2CZD6M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_1WW305T1C6WFND2V1EJ3

• chloebud
    2 years ago

“The mantel is slightly less than 5" deep…”

That’s about what I was thinking. Hang it low on the stone (like Jinx did) with nothing on the mantel.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    2 years ago

My wall art just sits on mantel leaned on wall.

You can make it shorter and place it vertically.

• PRO
    Hansen Wholesale
    2 years ago

@HALLETT & Co., I second your suggestion to drill a hole with a masonry bit. It's not a big deal, and just the sort of thing masonry drills are designed for. Also, it is possible to patch the hole where you can barely detect it, if for some reason the art is removed, it just takes a bit of patchwork skill to blend a patch to the color and texture of the stone.

• K C
    2 years ago

I’d mount something to the studs in the wall bits on either side of the fireplace, like a bar or a thin cable (whatever level of obvious you prefer) and attach it with that…

That said, I have a fieldstone 8’ x 21’ fireplace, and the prior owners went right into a stone in the center to hang something at some point… it works fine that way too (tho now we’re kinda forced to either keep something covering the spot, or fill and disguise the hole… which would’ve been a bit easier to match if they’d put the hole in between stones instead of smack-dab in the middle of a big otherwise-beautiful one, but oh well!)

• User
    2 years ago

Your art looks fine just as it is

• Leeza
    2 years ago

I think if you hang it raised (or rotate it), it will be too close to the ceiling. The masonry hook is one idea, but it doesn't have to be higher. Try the museum wax or clear pushpins or other suggestions to keep it on the shelf, then if it just seems to unstable, do the hook, but at same level. PS, great art, and fine reasoning about the multi-object alternative.

• starm
    2 years ago

This looks like cladding, you could replace the pieces that have holes in them.  If you search around  tile places they might just stock this type of tile.

• Dani Shugart
    2 years ago

Just came to say that I love that art and it looks lovely against the stone. Hope you get it affixed.

• willozwisp
    2 years ago

Any thoughts on the effects of a working firepace, the heat or unintended consequences of smoke on the piece of art?

• User
    2 years ago

I love your art, as do many others here, and encourage you to use it where intended. It's certainly preferable to have something in that space that you absolutely love, instead of a gathering of decorative items. "IMO."

• redman726
    2 years ago

I chose to simply lean the print I had framed against the fireplace... the frame is somewhat thick & quite heavy but I've had no problems for approximately 5 years now with it just leaning there... Your framed art is lovely & compliments your mantel & fireplace opening well!

• HU-946037290
    2 years ago

I like your art. The contrast between the vertical lines in the art and the horizontal lines of the bricks pleases my eyes as does the contrast of the dark mantel and fireplace screen against the fireplace bricks and the black curtain rods above the window and door. Well done!

Kate in Iowa

• PRO
    Alluring Spaces
    2 years ago

If you’re leaving it, turn it the other way, do that the long lines of the photo allow the height of the ceiling to extend. Then move it to one side of other to make it less formal or dead center of wanting more formal look. Then add in sleek linear abstract black cats or black wooden candles.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

I guess I see art different than that. As art in its own right, meant to be viewed as it was created, not turned different ways to ’fit’ in a spot.

That seems to defeat the purpose of art in my mind.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES