Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
l_m_w

If you had an unlimited home design budget, what would you do with it?

Lindsey R.
2 years ago

watchcase tower, sag harbor · More Info

Unlimited budget, endless design potential, GO!

Comments (45)

• cat_ky
    2 years ago

Change out my countertops. Hire a landscaper. Have my driveway changed and redone. Change out the gas central heat and air outside, to all electric. Nothing much else.

Lindsey R. thanked cat_ky
  • millworkman
    2 years ago

Why do you ask?

• P Banos
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

What's the limit on unlimited?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

All new nanawall windows.

Lindsey R. thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Tara
    2 years ago

Build my dream home

Lindsey R. thanked Tara
  • PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    2 years ago

Unlimited budget? Hm....I would get a new house on a water. :-))

• 4arnottp
    2 years ago

Move the wood fireplace and chimney, retile around the gas fireplace, relace the salt water softener for another system, hire a landscaper and resod the backyard, replace the metal stair railings with glass, install new windows, replace the sliding patio door with a fully-opening one, buy /build a new property in a tropical place: do you want me to go on?

Lindsey R. thanked 4arnottp
  • Rho Dodendron
    2 years ago

rip out the 5' x 5' cement patio and put in a much larger one with a fire pit, have the 1/4 acre professionally landscaped, recarpet the upstairs including someone to empty and move all the furniture, new mirrors and lighting in the 2 full bathrooms, replace the 50 year old beat up doors and also trim around the doors and windows, Have someone empty and move the floor to ceiling bookshelves in the office and repaint the walls.

• Christine Sander
    2 years ago

I'd try to vault my ceilings above the back of my house and add skylights.

I'd build the bedroom of my dreams but even better than that, the en suite of my dreams.

Landscaping.

Ugh, so much.

And then I'd probably sell it and build a whole new house lol

• Memphis Forrest
    2 years ago

First I’d hire a designer

• krystalmoon2009
    2 years ago

add hardwood through out, change kitchen counters and tile bathroom floors

• HU-245110268
    2 years ago

Replace grid windows with non-grid, change red oak hardwood to white oak, extend hardwood to great room and primary bedroom bedroom, new carpet guest bedrooms and bonus room, replace brick fireplace with stone, tile all 3 bathrooms, change out all fixtures and lighting, gut kitchen and rebuild tiered island to single level, add slab granite countertops, build pantry wall, add sub-zero, wolf appliances, build new cabinets and add ones to the ceiling, paint all walls, trim and ceilings, change out traditional style trim for craftsman style trim.

• Lori Barber
    2 years ago

with an unlimited design budget in my current home I'd start with remodeling my original 1950's kitchen. It has a good footprint but needs new modern sized cabinets and counters to accommodate today's appliances. Other things on my list are updating the one bathroom and some cosmetic repairs to the white oak floors, adding trim and molding around the windows, elevating the landscape to something more streamlined and cohesive and IF I wanted to go BIG I'd have an artist studio built out back with a cute walkway to connect it to the house.

• jbryerton6
    2 years ago

This is my dream - a large utility room with space for laundry, pets, crafts, storage and my potting and arranging. Look at this gorgeous flower arranging room at Charlotte Moss' home in Virginia!

• barcas
    2 years ago

Add a master bath to an existing bedroom, change the color of my hardwood floors, replace front door and garage door, paint exterior, major hardscaping and landscaping, paint all interior rooms, add some millwork, update laundry space, paint garage interior, new cement driveway.

• canorton824
    2 years ago

After nearly 30 years in our home and doing most of the work ourselves, I'd gladly hire professionals if I had an unlimited budget and manage any and all projects myself.

• Shawna
    2 years ago

Turn my backyard into an oasis. Add on a living space for larger gatherings with friends and family. Remodel the primary bathroom and make it a bit bigger. New driveway.

• Chris Long
    2 years ago

Remodel my elderly mothers home and yard to be her dream home.

• Janelle Schneider
    2 years ago

Restore our 1962 Pacific Northwest Regional. This would include new wiring throughout, new pipes, restore the wood sashes and upgrade the glass in all floor to ceiling windows, restore the fireplace hearth to the original, slate floors, strip all paint from wooden doors and trims. Upgrade bathrooms with zen retreat vibe using contemporary surfaces and fixtures in a way that’s true to the architectural style. Same with kitchen. Enhance and refine existing landscaping with flagstone walkways, large stones, and dwarf conifers. Create shade extension for deck. Install complete solar integrated back up system with power wall and rainwater collection/storage and incorporate an integrated grey water system. I have a few other ideas 😆

• Kendrah
    2 years ago

1. Buy some very large, incredibly expensive artwork and hire a museum installer to hang it.

2. Have a TV that easily disappears - into the ceiling, behind a custom made contraption, I don't care.

3. Hire a pro to install and tend to gorgeous, lush, tropical looking plants and ferns in incredible containers.

4. On call handyman who does immaculate work and uses really good, high end materials.

• Emilie Bova
    2 years ago

Paint inside and out and replace my Steinway with a new one. New furniture from RH

• nina47
    2 years ago

Have some wooden louvre shutters made for a large floor to ceiling window in the sitting room. It gets so hot there in the summer despite automatic sun shades. And then I would invest in the garden, which is nice, but needs a bit more interest and a lap pool. Otherwise, I’m happy with everything as it is!

• Molly
    2 years ago

Just moved into my 1967 colonial style 18 months ago and have already opened up the dining, living room and kitchen and remodeled a guest bath. The other two bathrooms are next on the list! With an unlimited budget, we would hire that done. I also want to open up the stairwell, get rid of the carpet on the stairs and upstairs bedrooms and paint all the bedrooms. Then I would focus on the outside to boost the curb appeal, maybe add a sunroom, but the back yard really needs help! My husband has a huge detached shop building and I am trying to think of something to make it look better!

• Marci
    2 years ago

Make every room larger, en suite bathroom and walk in closet, main bathroom remodel with separate tub/shower, fireplace, breakfast room facing a garden in addition to the dining room, patio door that leads to a large deck, an additional 3 season room, an extra room for workouts, first floor laundry room, attached garage with finished walls with storage, cottage garden. I pretty much have a whole dream house in mind.

• nolanirvana
    2 years ago

I would first hire a kitchen designer. Knock out walls and reconfigure space to create a larger kitchen open to family room. Replace tile floor in kitchen and powder room. New cabinets, countertops, sink, lighting and appliances in kitchen. New tub, sink and toilet in powder room. Replace window in powder room. Replace windows in the kitchen with a larger casement window. Create a pantry. Add a window to the laundry room , new flooring and cabinets in laundry room. Create a large cased opening between living room and dining room. Replace parquet floors in living room and dining room with white oak. Take carpet off the stairs and use oak. Replace carpet in bedrooms with oak.. Hire a landscape designer to do the front and backyard, create covered parking, make a larger screen porch on the back of the house with fold back glass doors from den to porch. Add crown molding to rooms, new ceiling fans and light fixtures for the front porch. Renovate upstairs guest bathroom- new vanity, flooring, countertop, tub, toilet, sink and lighting. The only room I wouldn’t touch is the master bathroom, we renovated it 5 years ago.

• hollywaterfall
    2 years ago

My projects for my house are: new flooring, build shelving in LR, <and that's where it stops on current budget. But unlimited, I would keep going on to> finish basement, paint, fix up driveway, redo back porch and create patio area. I might also install closet organizers and redo bathrooms.

• HouseofGodsmith
    2 years ago

First, a complete kitchen/pantry/laundry room/mudroom remodel, possibly changing the footprint of the house since funds are unlimited. :) And if funds are unlimited I assume I can move out of my house for a while, so I might as well remodel my primary suite at the same time, including removing the tub, increasing the shower, moving plumbing so the toilet doesn't share a wall with a bedroom, and converting the connected sunroom into additional closet space and a small reading nook with pocket doors for me. Then rip out and replace the landscaping, build a backyard mini kitchen for an upgraded grill, and add landscaping in the backyard with a nice little fountain. I live on 5 acres, so I'm assuming "home" extends there, too, right?? In which case, build a new four stall barn, with tack room and wash rack (that has heat lamps, obviously), connected to a new 80x120 arena that has operable windows along the top, and finish fencing the back field. All of which are in the works... someday!

• fnmroberts
    2 years ago

We really like the design of our home and had it built in 1996. Because we have the plans, we would duplicate and built again adding 4’ in width to expand a couple rooms AND add an elevator going from basement to second story.

• kooulton
    2 years ago

Donate it to help the homeless crisis.

• J D
    2 years ago

I’d take my old home and restore it COMPLETELY to its former glory. I’d even make sure the light switches were accurate!

• decorpatti
    2 years ago

Pretty happy with most things in my home as they are. I would like a larger laundry space, but this house just doesn't have room for one. I would like to get all my closets outfitted for maximum storage. Remodel laundry room and den. Hire someone to help me keep all things clean and uncluttered. Most of all, I would like a small art studio in the backyard that has HVAC and a water supply...I currently use an 8x10 alcove in the garage for my painting, but it gets too hot in the summer and my acrylics dry out too fast!

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Design expert - I want sunlight to stream down from upper walls/ceiling/stairwell, and to the first floor. Face north ok, I just like lots of light. Almost a whole new house, at least part of it.... thick masonry walls and deep roof overhangs buffer the sun

• Karen Nothacker
    2 years ago

Wow! For me, that would be a redone kitchen and main bathroom inside. Outside would be new siding along with new windows, and a replacement (smallish) deck.

• einportlandor
    2 years ago

A long list . . .

• Add a bathroom and reasonable closet to the attic bedroom with a covered deck over the garage
    • Convert the basement into a family room, bedroom and bathroom
    • Convert the one car garage (that doesn't fit a car) into a utility room and move the laundry out of the basement
    • Add a french door to the main floor bedroom
    • Add a gas log to the fireplace
    • Tear out the front lawn and replace with terraced plantings and stairs

I'm full of ideas . . . all I'm missing is about $200,000.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

With the room you've shown, something like this, aka Rebecca Robeson.

Denver Colorado Residence Loft Style BEDROM · More Info

• soto01
    2 years ago

Build a new house the way I want it -- not someone else's mess "fixed up"!

• Rodd Gray
    2 years ago

First, I would go shopping all around the world, so I can have custom things created for me that no one has. While I am shopping I would be having an elite team build a brutalist home high in the air on a pedestal so that I am above the trees. Never a curtain anywhere, so I can see the clouds forever.

• Dana Veach
    2 years ago

For the heavily wooded rural property where my sister and I live:

• Add 2nd bath and 3rd bedroom to our cabin (for small art studio & guest space)
    • Complete interior walls and floors (sheetrock, paint, porcelain floor tile)
    • Add mini-split cooling/heating system to replace window units and augment wood stove
    • Build shelves and cabinets in living room and bedrooms
    • Build dining banquette and table into dining nook
    • Upgrade and paint exterior siding and build covered deck to surround all 4 sides of cabin to provide covered parking and protected walkways to and from living space
    • Build combination greenhouse/potting shed
    • Fence and landscape property...including well and pond with rock scape and waterfall
    • Build small barn to house goats and ponies for grandchildren, nieces, and nephews
    • Improve road and driveway for eased access to property
  • Kathy Baker
    2 years ago

Floor to ceiling steel windows, solid fir beams, real brick fireplace...and all wool rugs.

Long Dune Lane, Truro · More Info

• Missi (4b IA)
    2 years ago

To redo my current home or am i getting a whole new place?

• Amber Webb
    2 years ago

Our 1940s log cabin with 2 additions would get a complete overhaul if there was unlimited budget. I would…
    1 hire log home professional to repair and refinish all log surfaces
    2 add large timber frame front porch
    3 turn back addition into two story with extra bedrooms
    4 add a sunroom on the southwest corner of the house
    5 add a detached garage
    6 add backyard covered living space with a hot tub
    7 add extra storage shed in backyard
    8 expand edible garden space to utilize approximately 1/2 of grassy area for sustainable food production
    9 add circle drive in front and landscape to include native and edible plants throughout
    I guess that’s about it. Just a few things. :)

• marketing5372
    2 years ago

So many great ideas that like funding today and with the pending hyperinflation are going to unfortunately lack funding forever.

• Lorna Spaulding
    2 years ago

New windows and doors. Also I would add a screened porch, as the mosquitoes are bad here.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    last year

The design budget is unlimited. Is the construction/remodeling budget unlimited, too?