Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hunt597

limestone exterior stone accents, what SW white paint for stucco?

hunt597
2 years ago

We will have dry stacked limestone on a good portion of our new build. The remainder of the house will be smooth stucco with black marvin windows. We are seeking a contemporary vibe and are having difficulty choosing which sherwin williams white paint to use. All suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

The stone is alabaster limestone from texas, it is the whitest natural stone we found. I can't get pictures to load at the moment . Will try to add asap.

Comments (11)

• hunt597
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The last photo has some of the colors we were exploring.

• hunt597
    Original Author
    2 years ago

That was the original plan but due to delivery, the stucco may be done first. In the event that we cannot get the stone installed first, I'd like to have the best option in color choice narrowed down. If I'm not mistaken, the stucco will be applied with the color mixed in as opposed to painted after.

• chisue
    2 years ago

Yes, you don't want to paint stucco, you want the stucco itself colored. You'll want some contrast between the stucco and the stone in order to 'show off' the stone. I like the grey, lower left.

hunt597 thanked chisue
  • chispa
    2 years ago

Stucco colored in the mix is old style and these days you don't find the craftsmen that know how, or want, to do it that way.

Our all stucco house in CA (now sold) was painted and we had no issues with it. We used elastomeric paint by Dunn Edwards, which was formulated for that climate and material.

hunt597 thanked chispa
  • hunt597
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@chispa, The system our exterior guy uses mixes the color into the stucco, which we are happy about . We've owned several stucco homes and have experienced it being done both ways.

With any luck the limestone will arrive prior to needing the color selection of the stucco. I plan to paint large swatches of several colors we narrow it down to.

I am hoping to get some feedback on color suggestions to help guide me.

• nishi312
    last year

Hi there. Do you happen to know what grout color you used for your stone work outside

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

Never select colors from a computer screen.

Limestone varies in color.

Colors differ in different light.

• hunt597
    Original Author
    last year

We dry stacked the stone, so no grout. Sorry!

• digarside
    9 months ago

Over a year after your post, I am in the same predicament you were with deciding on a white stucco color with white limestone and black windows. I’m between the SW colors Pure White and Greek Villa. What color did you ultimately choose and do you have a current photo that you could share?

• dan1888
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

Take a sample of your stone into the tech person at SW for a paint match of one of the light areas. Have them mix a quart with the formula and test it on the stone piece outside at your site.