Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nisha_mirchandani

NEED YOUR HELP with design decisions for a Master Bathroom

Nisha B.
2 years ago

Hi - I am renovating a large master bathroom and keeping the current layout, and have to make decisions regarding the wall with the window. The wall is 140” with a window towards the right side. With these specs and allowing for clearance around the tub, I have the following options:

1. 4x5 shower, 60” freestanding tub, bench with built in cubbies in between the shower and tub. My hubby thought this would look cool and make it feel like a hotel.
  2. 4x5 shower and 65-70” freestanding tub
  3. 5x5 shower with or without a built in bench and a 60” freestanding tub
    Which would you choose - bigger shower, bigger tub, and/or customized bench???

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    2 years ago

Can you post a floor plan and photos to help everyone give you a more informed advice?

• Nisha B.
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Norwood! here you gooo…keep in mind I am limited on the surrounding walls with a window and an HVAC duct which is why i cannot extend the shower on the 5’ side.

• Nisha B.
    Original Author
    2 years ago

photos of the wall with the window where the shower and tub will be placed

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

IMO you do not have space for anything except the tub and shower and I sure hope you have tested getting in and out of the tub they are a PITA to get in and out of . look best in designated space with no other thing next to them you already have an issue with the window placement from what I see . IMO a much better choice would be a really nice deep soaker tub and shower on that wall and of course that window will be an issue with whatever you decide unless you do the soaker there and the shower somehwere else if did that then if you insist on a FS tub that would work in that space. BTW I have never seen a hotel with cubbies between a tub and shower .

• cubby14
    2 years ago

Do you use the tub a lot? after lots of the same kind of contemplation on what to do We decided in our remodel to get rid of the tub altogether in our masterbath. We will use the space for a freestanding linen cabinet and our laundry hampers. Still waiting on the shower glass but I love how open it feels without the big tub there. We did think about a freestanding tub but the issues mentioned here a lot about cleaning around it and getting in and out persuaded us not to.

• K R
    2 years ago

Personally I would choose a bigger shower with a bench, and a 60” tub. I am the only one that uses my tub and I only use it once a week, also I’m a petite person so 60” is plenty. I wish I had the room for a bench in my shower. I don’t know why everyone complains about freestanding tubs, my bathroom is very clean and I have no issues getting in and out. I think they’re so pretty. Here’s how my bathroom is laid out, maybe fit helps you visualize a little better, my tub is also under a window.

• zenblackwell
    2 years ago

What are the dimensions of your bathroom? Do you have photos from other angles? I am looking at doing something similar, but my bathroom is small and I really want a separate tub and shower.

• Nisha B.
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you all for your feedback! We decided to do a 5x5 shower with a bench inside and aiming to purchase a 60-66” tub!