Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark_furtak

I have grown the mother of all petunias

It is ONE plant, 30 inches wide and 17 inches tall. It overwintered with occasional temps in the low to mid 20's. Hardly any of the blossoms have withered. This is in the high desert of Southern California.

Comments (13)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    last year

i think you have.. congrats .. id be bragging also ...

how much fert have you used on it.. or just good soil ???

sooo... though you posted in the annuals forum .... it acted as a perennial this winter ... does this happen often for you ...

i dont what the high desert of CA is... how about a big city name ...

ken

• Mark Furtak SoCal Sunset 10/USDA 8b
    Original Author
    last year

I use MiracleGro Bloom Booster every 2 weeks. The native soil is decomposed granite and is crap. Grows only weeds. The local nursery has a bulk (scoop) what they call 'planting mix' and I mix it 50-50 with what they call compost (it's just manure-the smell gives it away) then I mix that 2/3 with 1/3 peat moss. It's pretty productive. I'm in Hesperia. Nearby towns are Victorville and Apple Valley. I have an old high school buddy in Grand Ledge a little north of you.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last year

It's beautiful!! And your climate it IS a perennial. Colder zones grow it as an annual as it will rarely overwinter. Actually, a great many plants commonly sold and grown as 'annuals' are in fact tender perennials and can winter over in mild climates. I have snapdragons that are 3 years old!

Mark Furtak SoCal Sunset 10/USDA 8b thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    Original Author
    last year

I have two year snapdragons. This year they are quite vigorous.

• chloebud
    last year
    last modified: last year

Mark, it’s gorgeous! Your post made me think of a container I have of white pansies but I can’t take much credit. It came from the nursery at Christmas with a poinsettia in the center. The poinsettia finally bit the dust but the pansies keep going. It’s not as nice as your petunias and smaller at maybe 25” wide. We’re just a smidge east of Pasadena. You definitely have bragging rights!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    last year

Pretty as a bride in a Spring wedding!

Mark Furtak SoCal Sunset 10/USDA 8b thanked rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    Original Author
    last year

Those pansies are amazing. I bought four little ones just this spring at Lowes and none of them made it. We had some very strong winds though and I think that was their demise.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    last year

Beautiful! So pristine and clean and full!

:)

Dee

Mark Furtak SoCal Sunset 10/USDA 8b thanked diggerdee zone 6 CT
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    last year

The native soil is decomposed granite and is crap. Grows only weeds.

==>> your picture says otherwise ...

you get our point i hope... the plants are perennials.. often sold in colder climes as fast growing annuals ...

post where ever you want.. we dont really care about which forum.. we're just trying to learn you something ..

ken

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    last year

That is one luscious petunia! Does it have a fragrance? I have a fondness for the scent of petunias -- a whiff of them on a warm, humid evening always brings back wonderful memories :0) (not all are fragranced, though -- IME the white and purple ones have the most scent)

• chloebud
    last year

Mark, I agree with ”pristine and clean and full!” for your petunias.

The pansies I have started out as this in December…

Mark Furtak SoCal Sunset 10/USDA 8b thanked chloebud
  • gawdinfever Z6
    last year

Those are absolutely gorgeous! Petunias are one of my favorite annuals here in St. Louis. I wish they were perennials here!

mxk: I agree with scent of them. I purposely plant them all around my deck and in containers on my deck so we can sit and smell them. Nicotiana, as well.