Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
attymn

What would you do with heavily plastered walls and ceilings?

attymn
2 years ago

Here are a few pictures of the house. I am struggling to imagine how it would feel if I keep this wall and ceiling plaster.
Most likely I'd paint it flat matte off-white. But I haven't been able to find many pictures of more modern houses with such finishes. I also cannot imagine painting the beams, it's an old cypress with heavy wood grain. Last picture is the close up.
What would you do here?

Comments (45)

• Little Bird
    2 years ago

Wow, swirls of plaster on the ceilings AND walls. We looked at a house that was otherwise so beautiful, but also had this plaster on every single wall (and glossy paint too!). We considered getting the house and having it all scraped off and made smooth, but later found out it would cost more than $100,000. We decided it was too much to tackle. But If you have it in just this one space, I think it’s worth having it made smooth. You have beautiful woodwork, but all that plaster is really oppressive.

• cat_ky
    2 years ago

I agree with Fori. Paint the walls, and clean and maintain the woodwork, refinish the floors and enjoy it. Its not a modern style home. Please do not try to make it something it isnt, enjoy it for what it is. It is a very attractive house.

• roarah
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

It is beautiful! Plaster is a lost art and drywall is literally so flat it has no texture while your home with its gorgeous woodwork and orginal plaster is lush with texture. Embrace it and choose colors you like!

• Jilly
    2 years ago

It’s an old Tudor (judging by the lights, fp, timbers), and the plaster is a wonderful feature of such. Embrace. I’d be so happy previous owners didn’t change it.

• roarah
    2 years ago

Also, I dig you lighting fixtures and arches! Your house is just soo dreamy to me!!

• Yayagal
    2 years ago

Paint the ceiling very white and the walls a soft tone. If the floors are in good condition, you could sand and stain them.

• Jeanne J
    2 years ago

I don't think that the swirls in that plaster are a sign of craftsmanship .  On the contrary, swirls are often a sign that the plastering was not done by a true professional. You could sand it down so the swirls are less prominent ( a dirty job with dust everwhere), redo the plaster (expensive ) or drywall. Yes to sanding and staining the floors.

• attymn
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Sanding down is not an option for anything pre 1970s. ;-) Cheaper solution is sheetrock over and drywall. More expensive cutting out the plaster. Super cheap solution is prime and paint.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

“I don't think that the swirls in that plaster are a sign of craftsmanship.”

It can be a combination of things. This is regarding 1930’s style, but applies to other eras, too.

http://kourelis.blogspot.com/2009/07/1930s-stucco-swirl.html

https://www.oldhouseonline.com/interiors-and-decor/wallpapers-ceilings/wallpaper-paint-dado-and-frieze/

• PRO
    MDLN
    2 years ago

It's beautiful, embrace it. Love plaster, great sound & temperature insulation, also helps prevent fire spread. Would love to see it in my next house.

• PRO
    MDLN
    2 years ago

• Kate
    2 years ago

Skimming walls isn’t too difficult a job to do it yourself. It just takes practice and patience, you really can’t mess it up, maybe just have to redo it. I would give it a try in a small area.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

MDLN, I would, too.

I’ll never understand wanting to erase qualities and characteristics of old houses that make them special. And denying that history to future keepers of said homes.

(That’s not directed at you, OP, not at all. Just lamenting the general trend of everyone wanting their houses to look modern.)

I’ve had heavily plastered walls as an art form in southwestern homes, and just painted them as I would any other wall. Bless you for not painting the beams! :)

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    last year
    last modified: last year

Can you sand it down? Plaster is out of style now.

• Jilly
    last year

“Sanding down is not an option for anything pre 1970s.” — OP

Plaster will never be out of style in a house like this. It may not be desired, I understand it’s not a look everyone loves, but it’s not out of style.

• cat_ky
    last year

Plaster is never out of style in any house. It is a plus over sheetrock.

• Jilly
    last year
    last modified: last year

I was just on Todd Yoggy’s Instagram account and saw a 1915 Tudor he renovated. I thought you might like seeing it. :)

It’s hard to tell in these photos, but there is a plaster finish.

You can see it closer here:

More:

https://www.1stdibs.com/project/tudor-restoration/110843/

Had he smoothed the walls, it would have erased a lot of character and history. I love how he mixed modern decor with keeping original details of the house. Looks fantastic.

• attymn
    Original Author
    last year

@jinx, wow those pictures are the exact inspiration I am looking for! Thank you.

• attymn
    Original Author
    last year

Since there is so much debate about sanding down, skimming, etc. I posted the available options (sheetrock over, gutting completely out, or repainting) due to the walls containing chemicals which are toxic when airborne. It's almost always the case for older homes.

• attymn
    Original Author
    last year

One might find the house exterior amusing as well. The style is actually Cotswold Cottage it's a subversion of Tudor. Both houses on the property were built at the same time. Unfortunately the two story one is beyond restoration.

• Jilly
    last year

Oh, wow! Amazing! Thanks for sharing those, I’m becoming very fond of your house. :)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    last year

I lived with heavily textured lath and plaster walls and ceilings in our 1926 bungalow for many years. I'd take plaster over drywall any day :) The ceilings in the living and dining rooms were coved, but not the kitchen or bedrooms.

I painted it like I would paint any house. Soft white ceilings, whatever spoke to me for walls. I did the painting myself and had the walls celery at one point, pale apricot another, and I painted all a white just a little darker than the ceilings when I listed for sale. I used a Pratt Lambert eggshell for that application that gave the rooms a welcoming almost glow.

About 10 years later, it was on the market and listed again. From the listing photos, I couldn't see where it had been repainted from the time I had done it last.

• PRO
    MDLN
    last year

• attymn
    Original Author
    last year

Here is what a coat of white paint can do!

• attymn
    Original Author
    last year

And here is the hallway

• Jilly
    last year

Looks great, so fresh and happy! Wow, you have a wonderful house. :)

Thank you for showing us!

• barncatz
    last year

Love love love your house - thank you for sharing - it's fabulous.

• attymn
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you. The floors are still waiting being refinished.

• PRO
    lisedv
    last year

What an amazing house! Keep the plaster and paint it white, leave all the beams as is, it will be gorgeous with modern furniture!

• cat_ky
    last year

Love it. It looks fantastic.

• Katy M
    last year

Yes! Keep the plaster and forget all comments previously about replacing with drywall and “swirls not being craftsmanship”...that’s just someone maybe a little green with envy! Taking on an older house has responsibilities and perks. The responsibility is the constant upkeep. The perks are the joy of living in such a beautiful, well crafted home. Enjoy!

• PRO
    MDLN
    last year

Wow, beautiful. White was a great choice.

• dogsandcats7
    last year

Di not tear out the plaster and sheetrock—plaster adds weight and a solid feel to a house.

• attymn
    Original Author
    last year

We did embrace the plaster and refinished the flooring. This is the current state of the house.

• attymn
    Original Author
    last year

This is the main house on the outside.

• attymn
    Original Author
    last year

This charming guest house is getting gutted. Still a better faith than getting demoed.

• Jilly
    last year

Thanks for the update! It’s looking great.

So quaint and charming in the snow. :)

• roarah
    last year

It looks beautiful! Love the rich wood with the original yet freshly painted plaster walls.

• thinkdesignlive
    last year

Love it! The only thing I would want to do is replace that grey rug with something that ties in the warm colors - otherwise all is looking great and enjoy!

• thinkdesignlive
    last year

And don’t be afraid to pull the rug out from the hearth so some wood floor shows and the sofa can sit slightly off the rug. I want to just tweak a bit so please don’t be offended. I love your house!

• cat_ky
    last year

I am not a fan of all white, but, in your house with the heavy plaster, it really does look nice. Congratulations on a job well done.

• PRO
    MDLN
    last year

Looks great, so calm & cozy, want to move right in.

• attymn
    Original Author
    last year

We haven't yet moved in, master bedroom and bathroom are not yet done. But we stay here quite a bit during the day and brought in some random furniture from the main house. Thank you for the suggestions, I see that grey's don't work in this place and I am not at all offended by suggestions. I went with some of them to paint this place after all.

• attymn
    Original Author
    last year

Here is an updated main bathroom. It has different wallpaper, vanity, and tile around the tub. But the floor tile and tub (refinished) remains original from 1920.