Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babyviolets_africanviolets

Replacing luna pearl granite countertops - need suggestions

cooks
2 years ago

Hello, I am in the process of replacing these builder grade luna pearl granite. I am leaning towards a white / cream colored quartz countertop. Suggestions for moderately priced countertops.

I have dark espresso cabinets and will be replacing the grey LVP with light colored solid hardwood (still deciding which color floors). Thanks in advance, Cooks.

Comments (33)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

IMO the whole kitchen is builder grade no one does all base cabinets and no drawers anymore or espresso cabinets or OTR MWs so IMO wait until you can do the whole thing in something better . I prefer granite to plastic quartz and there are many beutiful white granites but please do not replace anything until after you have chosen your flooring .

• cooks
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks will keep that in mind. Yes, our flooring will be going in first and then depending upon our budget will select the countertops. Yes, I got tired of looking at white cabinets everywhere (we had them in our previous home, cleaning them was terrible). I currently have darker cabinets and love them, we will be having a lot of natural light into that kitchen, its right next to the sliding deck door. I am not sure about the "no drawers" comment, there are drawers above the base cabinet, or do people not use drawers anymore. Cooks.

• cooks
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes we tried to get the microwave over range changed, they couldnt do it. Even our current home doesnt have that, its so annoying, they still went with the old fashioned design. Even our sales rep said, that question has been asked by many, why is the microwave still above the range.Cooks.

• cooks
    Original Author
    2 years ago

bump

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

You should be able to replace the OTR microwave with a fairly standard range hood or an insert with a customized piece. After all OTR microwaves are designed to replace standard hoods.

And I don't dislike the Luna Pearl with the cabinets. Maybe you could replace the floors first and then reevaluate.

• cooks
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes, that is the plan exactly, to replace floors first. The Luna Pearl to me seems old fashioned, darkens the area and seems too splotchy and busy. Looking to replace with a cleaner, brighter look. The OTR microwave replacement plan is a long term one (after 5 years), and may not even do it, if I get used to it in the long term. For now, I am replacing the floors first. Thanks Cooks

• jiddie
    2 years ago

Cooks please don’t let anyone burst your bubble on your design.
    Perfection is overrated as I have come to learn as I get older. Do what you can when your budget allows.
    If nothing is done to your kitchen it would be lovely. Personality makes a home.

Not sure what”Pro” is a pro at...as design is subjective.
    Also, if you follow any high end designers or tour expensive tastefully decorated homes, you will find Quartz.

Best of luck in your new home.

• cooks
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks Jiddie! I am excited about moving into the new home, still being built. I will be replacing the floors to hardwood as soon as I close and before I move in. If I can find reasonably priced countertops, I will get those done too before I move in, otherwise, will leave it for another day :)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

do you plan on doing a tile splash? if so, don't get the 4" piece up the back.

your best bet is to remove a door and take it w/you to a stone yard. walk around and see what you like. take pictures.

I'd change out the hardware to gold or nickel and do handles instead of knobs. it will lighten up those fronts

search images of dark cabinets and see what you like

quartz

River White granite

you could also replace a few of the center panels w/glass

• cooks
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you beth. Yes, the hardware was planning to go with a dull gold and longer handles, no knobs. Havent decided yet on the backsplash, yes I like the idea of not adding that 4" panel on the back. Cooks

• cooks
    Original Author
    2 years ago

If I were to change the center panels with glass, would I have to get new doors with glass inserted in them, or can I work with the current doors I have, not sure about that. Cooks

• Barrheadlass
    2 years ago

Wait a minute…this is a new house that is being built? Patricia mentioned drawers. Many new kitchens feature deep drawers that hold pots, dishes, etc etc. I have quartz but actually like your granite.

cooks thanked Barrheadlass
  • Julia Kay
    2 years ago

Wow. The snooty response by the first poster .....I know she is a "pro" but I guess she thinks everyone had an expendable income.🙄

cooks thanked Julia Kay
  • Julia Kay
    2 years ago

Patricia wouldn't want to see my kitchen. We had the 1990s cabinets painted, put in a quartz countertop and a new backsplash. Believe me, my old cabinets are not "trendy" at all. But guess what? It's what we could AFFORD!!!! I really loathe people like Patty on this thing.

cooks thanked Julia Kay
  • M Riz
    2 years ago

Cooks, google putting glass in cabinet doors. Most likely, it is doable to add glass to your cabinets. It would lighten things up and break up the expanse of solid cabinet doors. They are a great place to add a bit of personality with decor (maybe a cute collection of pottery) M aybe you could add lighting to any glass cabinets.

• D Bee
    2 years ago

I have had great success with quartz or whatever brand name it is called in your area. It has ever failed and always looks great. I have a light grey/white stone pattern that is family friendly - that I can't remember the name of lol. I can send a pic if you are interested.

• stellarceline
    2 years ago

Beautiful dark cabinets! And I LOVE that you are replacing the gray LVP with solid hardwood. Seems like lots of tasteful upgrades.

I like the idea of white counters and I would go with something that has strong dark veining to connect them to the cabinets. I would personally do the marble/quartz on the back wall counters with a matching slab backsplash all the way up to the cabinets, if it's in budget. Then potentially a wood/butcher block counter on the island if you can handle the patina and re-oiling around the sink. :)

I would also *definitely* invest in internal pullout shelves in all your base cabinets, since drawers are standard now but you already have doors, that will give you the same benefits. They aren't cheap but they are a huge quality of life upgrade for the cooks in your family.

I would also look into moving the microwave into a base cabinet and installing a proper venting hood, I think an OTR microwave immediately brings down the look and value of your kitchen.

Finally, it looks like your fridge sticks out past your counters. See if you can sell that super deep fridge and get a proper cabinet-depth one.

cooks thanked stellarceline
  • cooks
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@M Riz, thanks will look up glass doors, yes I like that idea a lot.

@D Bee, yes please do send a pic of your quartz countertops. We went today to see the countertops, not much granite choice, everything was quartz.

@stellarceline thank you! yes, I like the idea of a slab as backsplash. I did want a butcher block in the center, but my better half, doesnt like the idea. I do have the internal pullout shelves in base cabinets currently, but dont like them too much. Maybe because when I pull out the shelves, there's no space to stand and access the shelves. I always hit the dishwasher behind me. I have things in the shelves, but never pull them out. Lets see how much clearance I will have in this kitchen. Yes the microwave is definitely moving and adding hood. Depending upon how much budget I have left after floors and countertops, we'll see.

Or I might first change the floors, move the microwave, install vent and live with the countertops for a few years, then change them. Let's see.

Thanks!! Cooks

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    2 years ago

I would definitely agree with changing the LVP to solid hardwood floors--stain them a medium neutral brown, and the space will warm up a lot. I like Special Walnut, but there are many others--Provincial, Dark Walnut, English Chestnut. Just don't go too dark, since your cabinets are dark, and dark floors show dust and lint more than lighter ones.

As for the granite, I understand that you want to change that--it never was my choice, but was very popular for many years back in the day. I have no problem with quartz, but I'd choose a subtle pattern--the heavily veined ones look fake to me, and will date your kitchen in a few years. Just don't think they're particularly "affordable." They can be much more expensive than natural stone, depending on the manufacturer and the color/pattern. I find the lighter colors are easier to care for than the dark ones. I have Caesarstone "Raven," a charcoal gray, and it shows smears and streaks. Two of my favorite marble-look quartz are Silestone "Lagoon," and Caesarstone "London Gray."

As far as drawers vs. doors with pullouts, if you were designing the kitchen from the beginning, drawers are more practical. But a kitchen can function quite nicely with the doors/pullouts, it's not a game changer and certainly not worth changing them now.

Finally, Beth gave you some really nice ideas that would work in your home--good luck and keep us posted!

• anna_682
    2 years ago

I like your dark cabinets. They are very nice,

Great choice on adding hardwoods!

We just replaced our OTR microwave with a zephyr hood (ours is rear vented) but our zephyr gust model also offers a recirculating option. It really opened up the space. Not too pricey either (about $500). We got a breville microwave on the counter.

Ask a local glass person if they can put glass inserts in your current cabinet

doors. I know people who have had success with that method.

we had white Venato Quartz in our last house. We chose a slab that had very subtle marbling. Less than the attached pic. It was not expensive.

You could consider a white Aria quartzite and also use it on the backsplash.

• PRO
    2 years ago

I am sorry but honestly this is new build and these things were not addressed well IMO good luck all of this including the flooring should have nbeen done before this was even designed. Now there is a huge cost to changing all of this and IMO poor planning.

• likestonehomes
    2 years ago

Here is my kitchen with dark cabinets. Fridge will eventually be changee to SS.

• roarah
    2 years ago

Patricia, not all new builds are custom nor do some allow changes before purchase. She shows at least one bank of drawers and she only asked for counter top suggestions. The kitchen is already done and you berating her on her choices once was in poor taste but twice shows that your true colors are quite ugly and unlike a kitchen no amount of cosmetic changes will fix you.

I think the granite you have works but I love a marble look with dark cabinets.

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

I think it's unfortunate the way builders set up this sort of dilemma where you can't get the exact finishes you want (I get how this works in general) either by working out how you will pay for it, or by leaving something out and getting a reasonable credit. I know someone who wanted to buy two units and leave the kitchen out of one and the builders credit was a few thousand dollars. They passed

Of course I suppose it is partly related to how difficult it is to get a COO in your area. You could get one here with plywood counters, I am pretty sure. It just seems so wasteful to dispose of brand new counters because you can't get the type you want even if you are willing to pay for it.

• Jen K (7b, 8a)
    2 years ago

I used to be an Executive Director of a Habitat for Humanity and we had a ReStore. We had quite a bit of inventory that was builders grade cabinets and countertops. They sold well because not everybody can afford even those materials. I would ask that your contractor remove the countertops for donation. There is no reason for them to balk; pay them more to do so. 

I am disappointed that you don't have the patience to live with these products so your responsibility is to ensure they do not go into the landfill. While not possible with flooring (and there is no option to purchase the product you liked?) it is with the countertop. 

People who do all this replacing do not realize the materials go somewhere and usually the dump. It's a priviledge to purchase a home of NEW and respectable material.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

jen k, there is no need to shame anyone for not living w/something they hate. patience? Th stupid builders won't let buyers do their own countertops. they have to pick from their choices. So If I want to buy that home i have to contribute to the waste? Why not take it up w/the builder?

BTW, have you ever tried to remove granite countertops? the installers usually glue them down to plywood. (Unless she was there on install day and told them not to use it ) She can try and take a crowbar to pry them up, but I doubt it will come out in one piece.

The vinyl flooring is another matter. I wish they'd stop using that stuff altogether.

however, those pieces can be broken up into chunks and used as material over cement. I took a cracked granite slab and used the pieces on my patio. in between the joints I used small pebble set in mortar. Maybe she can do the same, or use them in the garden.

• PRO
    2 years ago

That was my point this should have been dealt with with the builder so that all that stuff did not hit the dump.

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

@Beth H. : it is my understanding that this is a new build and the builder would only provide these finishes, rather than the ones the OP would prefer. The OP is not moving into a "15 yo house" with a "previous owner"--this is brand new countertop and flooring that the OP is removing and replacing. The OP says "still being built". That is why there is a discussion of the relative wastefulness of the situation.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

yes thanks, I just caught that. I edited my comment.

The builders don't care. I don't see what diff it matters to them if people want to move in w/plywood tops and take care of it after closing. have the owner sign something.

People need to stop buying homes from these builders unless they can have their own choices w/thng. Why would the builder waste this product knowing it's going to get torn out? save it for another build.

Patricia, the builders won't let you close unless you choose something. and they won't let you upgrade and do your own

• M Riz
    2 years ago

The ONLY way to get the finishes that you want is to build custom. With how the market is today, the tract builders can and do build crap and sell it for top dollar. The builders are doing this to make money, not for fun so this is what is offered. If it sells for a good price, its an indication that the finishes (or terms) are acceptable to buyers and more of the same is built. If it didnt sell, it wouldnt be built.

• Jen K (7b, 8a)
    2 years ago

@beth so we'll just go ahead and say, 'Poor thing can't have the countertops you want? Just throw them away!' If you don't like what the builders offering then don't buy there. If you can't get what you want, don't buy there. I've built two homes and have been able to find something within their offerings to enjoy. 

We had lots of granite countertops at Habitat ReStore. If she wants to assuage for her impatience, she needs to pay for them to be responsibly removed and reused. Not sure why she's going to mortgage a countertop and a floor just to turn around and pay for it twice; that's financially ridiculous. 

LVP doesn't factor into this at all because it has a very long life span just like the granite countertops the OP is having having installed. There could be more offerings and bamboo and cork and made with more sustainable methods. We chose LVP because the wood flooring will be so dinged up it would never survived and then we be replacing it and where does it go? The dump. 

The OP simply has no patience or willpower to enjoy the fact that she gets to build a house and have decent quality materials installed. It's a privileged life.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

Jen- I've built two homes and have been able to find something within their offerings to enjoy.

Well hurrah for you. what's w/the sanctimonious tirade?

Builders often choose the bottom of the barrel and cheapest materials. Maybe she wanted to buy there but didn't want their choices. Why can't she have what she wants?

Why don't you ask the OP these questions that you're assuming? maybe she can answer you.

As for the LVP comment, it does factor into it because she's replacing it. (very long lifespan? it's seldom guaranteed for more than 10-15 years. thanks, but I'll take wood that lasts a lifetime)

The fact that you threw away perfectly fine wood flooring for vinyl says a lot about your hypocrisy. If you buy solid wood, it can be refinished numerous times throughout a 80-100 year span. perhaps you chose the wrong product. wood can also be ground up and recycled. your LVP, nope.

The OP simply has no patience or willpower to enjoy the fact that she gets to build a house and have decent quality materials installed. It's a privileged life.

Get off your high-horse. You know nothing about the OP and her willpower.